32" LCD as second monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Jun 1, 2008.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

My 20" tube tv in my PC room is on it's way out. So I figured if I bought a decent LCD I could replace the tv as well as use it for a second monitor. DO many of you do this?

LCD in question

[​IMG]

Samsung 32" Series 5 LCD HDTV

Is this overkill? I don't have HD service at my house and have no plnas to get it. But if I want a good diplay for my PC I have to go 1080, right?

So, I would just get a longer DVI cable and connect one end to my evga 8800GT and the other would have an hdmi adapter and connect to the TV. Any other/better way to do this?

How easy is it to set up dual monitors and have things configured?

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

The TV might even have DVI inputs, just check. Otherwise DVI to HDMI should work fine. DVI and HDMI can both support 1080p I think so whichever cable you use, doesn't matter. The picture quality of TVs isn't nearly as good as an LCD Computer Monitor (obviously, LCD monitors can reach much higher resolutions and would have higher resolution than this TV at amuch smaler size), but for a secondary monitor it should be pretty cool for watching videos and things liek that.

However, if you want to websurf on both monitors and do a lot of reading and shit, I'm not sure it'll satisfy your needs there as well cuz of the low resolution. But maybe someone else can answer that better.

Also, it's super easy to get the second monitor going. Literally takes a minute or two to set up. You'd just enable it and set the resolution.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Looking at the pictures it doens't have DVI but that's no big deal.

It's resoultion is 1920 x 1080 . I'm at 1920 x 1200 on my Dell 24" so would it suck bad to surf, etc? I figure 75% of the time it will be used just as a TV but of I get it and it works good that might change.

4. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

wouldnt be crazy high def, but it would be nice to play a movie on it while surfing the web on the monitor

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I use a 42" TV as a display. Works great. It MUST be 1080p if you want a decent picture.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

It should have a VGA slot or you can get a DVI to HDMI cable I think it should have at least 2 if not 3 HDMI ports

7. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yeah, go with the DVI to HDMI over VGA though.

Also, your dell is significantly smaller at a similar resolution, which makes a difference. 24'' is huge in the first place, and you said yourself mostly for videos and stuff. If you have the money, I'd go for it.

8. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

looks good. i say go for it and enjoy :big grin: