GUN .308 or 30-06?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Ok, here's the deal with this one:

I have a New England Firearms .308 Survivor rifle. I am looking to upgrade to a Remington 700 SPS here in the next month. I have come up with this dilemma, and I am having a hard time making this decision for myself. I have lots of .308, hundreds or loaded rounds. On top of that, I have lots of reloading components (brass and dies), that I would loose if I went 30-06. My question WMD, is the 30-06 caliber really worth it? I have other rifle calibers, and down in Texas there is nothing aside from a cow that I am worried about with the .308 (a 30-06 is not any better for this application really). This is probably the last firearm I will be buying for a LONG time (many years). The rifle will cost the same, but I would need to spend at least $400 to get all the ammunition and components to replace my .308 stockpile. I'm liking the fact that 30-06 still has surplus available for it, but so does .308. The only ammunition shortage I see with the .308, is the M-61 penetrator rounds are completely absent from the market, if that is your cup of tea. The .30 cal AP bullets are impossible to find for sale too, so the 30-06 only has a small advantage there. Not that I will be shooting them at any deer, but it is sometimes fun to shoot the old rusty crap on my friend's ranch.

Well there it is guys, my dilemma. I'm hoping that maybe someone on here will have some ideas. I'm sure I will end up getting a .308 anyway, but this is some brainstorming of ideas. This is mainly an excuse for starting a thread, possibly to debate these two calibers.

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I say .308 too.

3. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I think .308 is a better choice. 30.06 is only going to become more rare.

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

If 30-06 was better, more competition shooters would be using it? :dunno:

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

totally misses the point.

.308 is indeed flatter. 30-06 will "hit harder". a piece of paper does not need to be hit hard.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I thought you were going to boot camp? How the heck are you on teh intarwebz?

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

.308. Unless you step up to something like hunting elk, you're not going to notice a difference. If it can be done with a .30-'06, it can be done with a .308. 200fps and 200 ft-lbs difference depending on load and bullet.

If you're going to be shooting a lot, .308 definitely.

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I'd just stick with the .308, not enough of a performance gain to warrant buying all new reloading equipment.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

correct, was supposed to leave over a week ago. however when I got down there to ship off and sign my contract for the final time, it had a couple of very crucial errors and I wouldn't sign it. (student loan repayment issues) its mostly fixed now, and I should be leaving in a couple weeks or so. basically, it looks like I missed 3 weeks of very cold north chicago winter weather.

but thanks fer carin'

10. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Surplus 30-06 is pretty cheap right now :noes:

11. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Is a 5% difference in speed and force really worth it? Especially considering the better accuracy of the .308? :dunno:

To me it wouldn't be.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm going to be sticking with .308, lots of very valid points in here. Thanks guys :)