300ZX Vs 350Z

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Isamu, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Isamu

Isamu New Member

ok, lame discussion, BUT, i need to know.
    There is a guy i know, who claims to know his shit about cars, and is the site admin on a car forum i used to frequent. he drives a 350z and thinks its the shit.
    now, he claims that the 300zx isn't even a true sprorts car, and is a shame on the z name, and a scar on the 'z' history.. he also says that true enthusiests look down on the car... so i wanna know, what does OT think?
    also when i provided numbers, weight, bhp, lateral g's, all that shit, he deleted the thread and say i was trying to start trouble. just because the numbers/videos i found showed the 300 to be just a tad better.

2. breal

breal Active Member

what model 300zx? i personally dont like the z31s at all. tho i am kind of biased since ive owned 3 z32s. the z32 has won a lot of awards thru the years.
    "In 1990, the first year of the fourth generation, Motor Trend named the 300ZX "The Import Car of the Year" and "One of the Top Ten Performance Cars". Further, the Z32 was placed on Automobile Magazine's "All-Star" list, and honored with "Design of the Year" by the same forum. That same year, Road & Track and Car and Driver called the 300ZX "One of the Ten Best Cars in the World". For seven straight years, from 1990-1996, Car and Driver awarded the 300ZX "One of the Ten Best Cars", and for five years, from 1990-1994, it was on Automobile Magazine's "All-Star" list." it was also in a list of the top 50 sports cars of all time, or something like that...i cant find it atm.

it was faster than the c4 vettes. the z32 holds the land speed record at 280mph

the z32 has a much better platform for mods. the vg is much more reliable modded than the vq. both of them are pretty heavy tho, but the z32 has a little more luxury than the z33, including adjustable suspension.

and honestly, i think more z enthusiasts look down on the z33. more people will turn their heads for a z32 because of its styling and rareity.

3. 2500

2500 Guest

Only thing I don't like about the 300 is the cramped ass engine bay. Other than that, I think your friend is trying to hype up his car. He'd prolly be doing the same if he had a 300zx... saying how the 300zx is turbo and the 350 is just a 6 cylinder. I drive a 350z, and its an awesome car, but I have seen many 300ZX's do some pretty impressive stuff on dyno's and at the track. stock for stock, the 300zx tt is faster. the n/a is pretty much a look only car.

and I have yet to see a Z enthusiast look down on the z33. look down on nissan for not having a TT option, maybe. The only problems with the 350z I have, being an owner, is I don't think they did it justice. The outside styling is flawless. The motor is awesome. but then they go and use a cheap plastic interior that rattles. I mean, c'mon. But other than that, I am impressed with the Z every time I drive it. Now granted, its been a year since I sold my TT lexus and I've been driving a ford expedition for a year, but still, I love the Z, lol.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Wasn't just the 350Z either. The Altima, '04 and newer Maxima and G35s (until the redesign) have the same cheap looking interior. Other than that, I have to agree, it is a really nice car. 300ZX TT for all out performance potential though.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

300ZX ftw. I don't even care if the 350 has a better engine, that's not the point. The 300 still looks like a future car.

6. hayguyz

hayguyz New Member

this guy that you know is an idiot.

it's pretty sad when a 13 year old car beats the latest model. drop $1000 into both and the z32 will ass rape a 350Z

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:rofl: at him saying enthusiasts look down on the 300zx. To give you an idea: On hybridZ, the forum specific to the Z33 (350Z) has a grand total of....5 posts in it, the most recent being last year, and it wasn't even a real thread, just a sort of 'I was here first' thing'. The Z32 forum has 220ish posts, and the Z31 has ~373 posts.

'course, the S30 forum has over 6 thousand :)

8. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

once you get into a 300's engine compartment, its not all that cramped

9. breal

breal Active Member

that could also be due to the fact that more people use that site for engine swaps than anything else.

10. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Any car enthusiast who's over the age of 19 is going to tell you the 300ZX-TT gets more respect by car owners everywhere than the 350Z

Only thing about it that's "not a sports car" is the 2+2 model with a back seat. Turbos were all 2-seaters though. Oh and it was luxurious. Something the 350Z lacks. So I suppose your friend might be talking abuot it not being purely a sports car because it has leather and such.

Your friend is a choad.

11. Isamu

Isamu New Member

I drive a 91 TT 2 seater, just for the record.

now, onto an engine question. The engine is at 125k miles, and runs strong... should i A) rebuild the engine or B) do a 120k tune up or C) your opinions here

12. breal

breal Active Member

how many miles on the turbos? what mods?

if you have a lot in those two, id say pull and rebuild. but its also dependant on a lot of other things...do you have a daily, how do you drive it, how is the wiring harness, do you want to do other mods which would require disassembly

13. Isamu

Isamu New Member

the motor and turbos both have 125k on them. the wiring looks good, especially for its age. I don't get on it TOO much, every once in awhile.
    i didn't notice any valve tick or other odd noises.
    as of right now its my only running car. I really only want to upgrade the IC, radiator, and put in an electric fan. The biggest mod i would do if i pulled the motor is the auto->manual conversion.

14. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

z32 300zx is one of my all time favorite cars. If they weren't so expensive for their age and didn't have a reputation for being hard to work on I would have bought one in a heart beat when I was car shopping. To this day if there were two cars I could own they would be a 300zx TT and a Supra TT.

15. Isamu

Isamu New Member

thats why when i found this one i was like whoa... only its auto.. but w/e i have my stupid project car....

my main goal for the 300zx is like maybe 350rwhp and a refresher on the exterior/interior

16. breal

breal Active Member

i would definately get some new turbos before you start modding again. tho getting to 350whp wont be hard

17. Isamu

Isamu New Member

maybe when i pull the motor for the 120k stuff, i can have the turbo's refreshed as well

18. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

IMO the Z32 300zx > 350z.

The 300zx is one of the most beautiful cars ive ever seen and owned. I can only hope to own a TT one day. I really like the 350z but you can not look down on a 300zx. your friend is crazy.

19. Isamu

Isamu New Member

werd.. he is a douche.. lol
    i just still can't believe the whole. REAL enthusiasts look down on the zx.. and the It's a STAIN on the history of the Z.. lol such a tool.
    and dude, if you have an NA chek out Z1, they offer conversion kits for a decent price

20. Isamu

Isamu New Member

still waiting on some expert advice :)
    maybe via pm. just wanna get some answers so i don't waste my money

21. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Search the main forum.. there was a guy who was doing a build on his Z32 but I don't remember his name.. I think it started with the word "Black" or something.. might be able to find it by searching for "z32" "motor swap" or something along those lines.. maybe the engine code for the car too.

22. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Expert advice on what?

23. Isamu

Isamu New Member

if i should rebuild the motor, or just do 120k tune-up, should i get new SMIC or FMIC(which would be better), Electric fan and new radiator from Z1 or just new OEM parts. I guess i have some ideas for my back from a deployment money and wanna make sure I spend it efficiently. That and i want to get the zx running like new..

24. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

If you are going to go for serious hp/tq numbers, rebuild the motor. If you were going to leave it stock, a tune up would probably be fine unless you found anything that indicated there might be more wear and tear than originally thought.

Same with FMIC/SMIC. If you are going to go for real power consistently, go with a good FMIC. What kind of setup did the Z32 have originally with cooling the air charge anyways?

If it was my car, I would: Rebuild the engine and make sure all the parts are gonig to be able to do what I want to them (as well as maybe tweaking the CR....), Install a FMIC, switch over to a standalone ECU, redo the suspension setup, new rims/tires :dunno:

25. breal

breal Active Member

since i havent said it yet, ive owned 3 z32s. i dont know everything, but i do think i can help. if it was my z, and it had 120k on the engine and especially the turbos, i would be pulling the engine for some rebuilds/replacements. do all the maintenance you can. it really depends on your wallet and the outlook for the car.

FMICs are really shit on the z32. sidemounts will be more efficient for lower/mid hp numbers. id say get a koyo radiator...the fan is up to you. get an ashspec ecu and boost jets, JWT intake, specialty z downpipes and catback, and a pair of test pipes. with that you should be around 350 wheel.