300zx or RX 7

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by lOnEstArMx250r, Oct 3, 2005.

1. lOnEstArMx250r

lOnEstArMx250r I dont know.

Okay i am about to get a car, Now i am deciding between a TT 300zx or a RX 7. Now i hear RX 7's have problem w/ cooling, is this true?

2. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

3. bigsakius

bigsakius New Member

if you have a dailydriver then i say rx7, if not then 300zx. I have a few friends with the 7 and i love driving there cars but they are always tinkering with it and you really have to know how to fix it when it breaks because it will and often. But they are sooo much fun to drive, very light and fast.

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Can't go wrong with either choice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. butthair

butthair New Member

RX-7, 300ZX's weigh a lot.

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

both of them are likely to be a 'money pit.' however, both of them have huge potential. yes, rx-7s have cooling issues, but that can be takin care of if you do your research and do things right. also, if you want huge power in your wankel, be prepared to learn how to pull your engine, and change your apex seals just about every 6 months.

i have heard, but cant confirm cuz i dont have one, that older Z parts are on the pricey side since they are no longer in production. the dealerships can pretty much ass-rape you on stock parts you may need (and considering many nissan parts were good/great to begin with, this is a possibility). but, as always, the aftermarket has stuff available to supplement those silly OEM parts.

edit: aw man, the quickedit is gone :hs:

7. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i'd get the 300zx but yeah it's a pretty heavy boat

8. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

9. TacoOverlord

TacoOverlord OT Supporter

rx-7s are my favorite car ever, so amazing. expect problems though. 300zx is a bit oversized and slowish, but more reliable.

10. btm

btm New Member

300zx

11. speedy

speedy New Member

300zx if you have to ask

12. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

i get the fairlady z

13. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

The RX-7 you're going to have to be very careful when tunning it, because if you don't have enough fuel you will blow the motor.

The 300ZX on the other hand is a complte bitch to work on, because the engine bay is so cramped. You litterally have to pull the engine to upgrade the turbos.

But all in all, it really comes down to personal preference. One's light and nimble, and the other is heavy but easier to make power with.

14. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

that is quite true... i'm not claiming to know everything, but i knew a guy who had a well tuned FC and he was replacing apex seals on a regular basis. maybe there's something i didnt know about :dunno:

maybe next time you could tell actually correct me, and explain to us how i'm wrong, rather than just telling me that i'm wrong.

edit... also, learn how to quote... its not a hard concept.

15. lOnEstArMx250r

lOnEstArMx250r I dont know.

Alright thanks a lot guys, Now I truely think i am going to get a 300zx-I mean ive always have liked the RX-7's but i ahve to be truthful I dont know shit about rotary engines. And i dont feel like getting ass raped ever time it breaks down or shit

16. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

You dont just replace apex seals. You completely rebuild the engine when one lets go. If your friend FC was "well tuned" he would have been getting well over 100k miles on each set of apex seals.

17. Street300zx

Street300zx New Member

18. Turbo240sx

Turbo240sx Still Spoolin'

How old are you and how much experience do you have working on cars? You basically need a big wallet or some good mechanic skills if you are going to own an RX since they need a lot of maintenance work. Id go with the 300zx if I were you.

19. TravisFC3S

TravisFC3S Guest

I have a built RX7 with around 400hp, and the thing has NEVER BROKEN ON ME. I have driven it over 15k miles of very very hard driving, and it has always held up. I have driven to other citys for auto-x, drift competitions, etc, and it has always held up through every event, and has gotten me home everytime. As long as you do the basic maintence on your rx7, change the oil all the time, keep new spark plugs in it, and drive it hard, it will treat you very good.

Try researching RX7club.com, there is alot of helpful info there

20. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Aww, I killed my engine this weekend. But it has nothing to do with apex seals. I will replace them when I have the motor out and apart but my failure is a big rubber o-ring.

21. Oleh

Oleh New Member

both are good cars. You should drive both and see which one you like better. For me, i picked the Z. ( S130 > * )

22. attomica

attomica Active Member

First off, which year RX-7 were you considering? '93 and up (called an FD) are very highly-tuned sports cars that do require some attention to various systems to diminish maintanence issues, but they can still be quite reliable. '91 to '86 (called an FC) are less-advanced and require less attention, especially the Normally Aspirated (or non-turbo) models. I had a N/A '91 which I bought brand new. In the eight years I owned it and drove it every day, it had a single mechanical problem. The clutch master cylinder went out and a $17 rebuild kit had it back on the road in an hour.

You can make an N/A FC pretty quick with a few reliability and performance mods. The engine is suprisingly small and very easy to work on. Don't get intimidated by the differences found in a Wankel (Rotary) engine. They are incredibly simple and you can understand their operation with very little effort. Plus there are some great resources about the Wankel, both printed and on the net. There is really good aftermarket support too.

I honestly don't know much about the 300ZX, but what I do know, it being heavy, very hard to work on, and pricey aftermarket, would lead me more toward the FC.

23. crashspeeder

crashspeeder Interesting Title

you're considering a Z32. I have a Z31 (1986 300ZX N/A) and I've had to spend a good amount on it already, not because the car is unreliable but because the previous owner neglected it for 20 years. So far I'm incredibly happy with the way the car handles though. It's the first car I've owned that goes when I want/need it to, perfect for highway merging and great as a daily driver.

I'll never go back to a 4cyl, not one under 160hp at least. The ZX is pretty heavy though, like was mentioned before. From driving it, it seems to me the car actually has a good amount of weight in the back even though mine is currently gutted. It will want to spin on you in wet conditions quite easily whether or not you're accelerating. Like any FR you'll have to baby it in any precipitation.

Have fun with it, I know I have so far.

24. Section8

Section8 .

If you don't know anything about RX7s, please don't buy one until you do some research. They're amazing cars, but require a lot of attention.

25. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

unless you are an FD enthusiast, I highly suggest that you stick with Z32