300zx: Is it a good track car, and with what mods?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mtnbikekid08, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

So I'm looking at getting a 1990+ 300zx Z32, preferably the twin turbo model. I may also be interested in taking the car to the track, not the drag strip, and am curious as how they handle, stock and with coilovers. Also, what are some good first mods for the car for a more power and better handling? I am buying a twin turbo model of course.

2. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

track time = lots of heat.

lots of heat and a 15+ year old turbo Nissan that wasnt reliable in the first place don't add up to a good track car, unless you have lots of $ to throw at it....A 350Z would be cheaper in the long run, and likely faster around the track.

3. srproductions

srproductions New Member

From a former Z32 TT owner....get something else.

Heat and weight are the enemy on the track, Z32s have alot of both.

4. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

If you want a reliable track car, get a miata.

5. Mercennarius

Mercennarius Ultra Member OT Supporter

E-Mail Kuah at SPL parts..hes been tracking his Z32 for years now and has been quite successful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

www.splparts.com

6. mtnbikekid08

It's not going to be a track car, I will simply occasionally bring it there.

7. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Everyone I know with a Z32 loves them and they are very fast cars. The down side is the parts are not going to be cheap and they require a lot of maintenance to be properly cared for. Its not a Toyota which you could never do a thing to and it would still drive just fine 20 years later.

FYI... I have a 300zx Z31 and I just bought an RX7 FC to Auto Cross with. All though the Z is great for taking the T-Tops off for nice warm days, you have plenty of power and it handles well. The RX7 is just more fun to race with (It could just be also the RX7 is still new to me... only had it a month now and did 1 auto cross event so far).

8. mtnbikekid08

I'm looking for a nice, "budget" car with power.
    Been looking at turbo 3000gt's, 300zx, and maybe a twin turbo Talon. Maybe a Subaru Impreza. I'm looking for 250-300+ hp.

9. Drifter87

Looking for a car with Stock 250+ Horsepower... or something that could be easily made into 250+Horsepower.

I have a friend who took his '87 300zx that was complete stock. He did intake/exhaust and put a turbo on. When he Dynoed the car he was at 650+horsepower.

The car club I use to belong to, most the the members had the 90's 300zx. They were making 500 to 800hp depending on their mods.The thing I noticed is that the guys with the big turbos seemed to always be repairing their car.

10. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

twin turbo talon :ugh:

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'm calling either bullshit, or a fucked up dyno. No way a stock bottom VG30E is going to handle that much power.

12. Mercennarius

Its been done. My brother has an 87 300ZX with a bone stock engine with a bigger turbo/fuel/Nistune and hes making 450HP and well over 550TQ...this is on a pretty mild setup and bone stock engine with over 210,000 miles. When he puts his heads/cams/intake mani and new turbo on he should be around 600+WHP on a stock bottom end. The stock rods are very beefy, the stock crank is good for over 1000HP, and the pistons are fine to around 600WHP so long as you prevent detonation. Really the bottom end is about as strong as the VG30DETTs and those have been known to be able handle 700+WHP on stock bottom ends.

13. mtnbikekid08

I have no experience with these. What's wrong/bad with these?

14. Drifter87

The VG30E is actually a very strong engine. If it was not for the Emission Laws, the car actually makes lots of power. I have been told just taking off the Catalytic Convert gives you a big boost to power. Also the stock turbo on the Z31 is also very light.

The mechanic who I use to take my car to, would always mention how good the engine is and it's potential. I figured he knew what he was talking about because he use to Race RX7s and has restored countless cars.

Lastly if you sat in my friend's car, you know know the Dyno was not far off.

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Well DSMs are notorious for breaking all the time, but I think he was taking issue with your calling it a "twin" turbo.

16. mtnbikekid08

My bad, someone posted a "twin turbo talon" a while back. I see now they only have a single turbo.

17. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

Unique situation, this guy is running a business that sells Z32 parts. I wonder if this would still be his choice for a track car if that wasn't the case. The Z32 is more of a GT.

18. Mercennarius

I'll agree with you on the fact that the Z32 is more of a GT car. But that dosnt mean it can't be a good track car. The Z32 performs very similarly to a MKIV Supra...though slightly more nimble.

19. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

I worked with TT Zs for a long time. Seen several (successfully) prepped for all sorts of duty including track. Ultimately, if you can convince yourself to get something else, it would be advisable. As mentioned, the way that engine is stuffed in creates significant heat problems. Even one track day is enough to be a problem. Hell, half the time, street driving is enough. That aside, the 90-03 have a terrible wiring harness, several sensor and electrical problems, and are generally beat to hell. 94+ are slightly better, but more expensive, and still usually in need of a lot of maintenance.

If you drag race and track a 300TT, expect to replace turbos, cam angle sensors, knock sensors (particularly fun to get to), and a host of other items.

Now, should you decide to do it anyways, you should first get the basics to allow the car to survive. Upgraded intercoolers, radiator, brake lines, brake fluid, brake pads. Make sure the engine mounts are in good shape (usually are not). Aftermarket oil press and water temp gauges are important as the stock units are terrible.

On to performance, removing the hicas 4WS helps performance predictably on the road course and is almost a must for drag racing. For suspension, stick with good brands like KW, r get a decent spring and shock combo such as Konis or Bilstein. Avoid the crappy cheap coilovers.

For more than that, you may want to take a look at twinturbo.net or other 300 boards.