3000gt

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by quadracer420, May 24, 2008.

1. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

Anyone here have a 3000? Ive been thinking of picking one up, a friend has one and its SO sex to drive:naughty:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure you have a spare transmission. Mitsu engines are great, Mitsu gearboxes are shit. I swear they must make the gears out of aluminum.

Cans.

3. deusexaethera

On another note, all 3000gts look shitty, except for one specific model that had different headlights (not the kind that wrap around the top of the bumper) and I cannot remember what year and model that was to save my life.

Ahhh...it was the 1999 SL.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

Mitsu engines are great?

4G63T CRANKWALK!

5. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

Do you know what goes bad in the trannys? And I think your talking about the '99 VR-4 with the different body style?

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

If you get a 3000GT, at least get the VR4. They are already heavy enough, you don't wan't a slow heavy piece of shit FWD car. Also, don't plan on hauling around 3 of your friends with you, unless two of those are midgets. Back seat room is pretty non-existent.

I have a few friends with VR4's. The best looking one is the white one, i think it's a 99.

7. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Have had six of them. Two base models, one SL, one VR-4, and two TT's (same as VR-4). The cars are 100% identical to Dodge Stealths. Same exact car, made by Mitsubishi in Japan. Don't let anyone tell you differently, ever, they are fucking idiots. To answer all of your questions, go to: www.3si.org/forum/ make an account, and READ. Don't blindly post or the people will just rip you a new one. READ. There is a shitfuckton of info on those forums.

A lot will depend on how hard it has been beaten on, but generally, yes, the transmissions are the weak point in both the N/A and turbo models. At the same time, the stock transmissions have made it into the 9's. In addition to the trans, other things that are likely to break are the ECU (capacitors go bad), and the clutch hydraulic system (you'll see failed master and slave cylinders pretty often). Oh yeah, and they'll spin a bearing with every single rebuild if you don't keep your oil pressure monitored at all times. Use a thicker oil or do the damn preventative maintenance of replacing the oil pump/bearings (along with the entire 60k maintenance).

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You mean two TT FWD 3000GT's?

9. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

Allright thanks for the info. My friends is a 96 sl I think, its Not the fastest but it holds its own. I know the back seat is for looks. ive rode in the back many times, sideways...not fun

10. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

The tranny actually isnt weak...its pretty strong. The transfer case in the VR4s are what tend to be the weak point. People who say the trannys are weak are just ill informed.

Even the NA 3000GTs arnt that slow so long as you get a DOHC one. They tend to run low 15s at 90+MPH...not as bad as people think. The NA ones are also not that heavy...only about 3100-3200lbs.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

wow that's a big difference to the VR4, 3770Lbs???!!!!

12. deusexaethera

The VR4 is AWD, isn't it? That adds a lot of weight.

13. deusexaethera

Uh huh. And how often does that happen on a stock 4g63?

Also, the 3000GT has a V6 in it, and their V6's are bulletproof. If memory serves, the 3000GT's engine is based on the same block as the engine in my dad's old van, which has 280kmi on the clock, and the diesel variant of that engine is in almost every single small delivery truck on the road -- if you don't get 500kmi out of one, you got gipped.

14. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

The VR4 adds AWD, Active Aero front and rear spoiler, Turbos, Intercoolers, more piping, bigger wheels, etc. etc. it all ads up.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

yup , that's alot of weight. Doesn't mean it can't go fast, look at the GT-R.
    I'm with the less is more camp though.

16. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

Well thanks guys. Do you guys think that 6800 is too much for a 98 stealth thats pretty much vr4? I think it had 90k on it?

17. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

I wouldn't pay 6800 for a Stealth. A VR-4 in decent shape definitely. Yeah they're the same car, but it's curious how the two vehicles seem to have such a disparity in value.

18. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I have one, I don't reccomend it unless you like to work on cars as it will always have random shit breaking on you

plus they are heavy as all hell and understeer like a motherfucker with the stock suspension

and transmission parts are fairly difficult to come by if you ever want to replace synchros

19. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

no such thing as a 98 stealth

20. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd: I hate how heavy my car is, it's honestly the biggest reason I'm getting rid of it

oh yeah and forget about the stock brakes if you want to track the car at all, fade city, even with good pads

21. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

They're fun highway cruisers.

22. Original

Original OT Supporter

know a guy who has 500+ hp on his vr4

fast as shit but it's a money pit like no other, things are always broken

23. deusexaethera

Well no shit, with 2x the stock horsepower, things are gonna wear out faster.

24. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

mine has about 400-450awhp and it's usually random bullshit that breaks that has nothing to do with anything, but is enough to make the car not drivable :greddy:

very rarely does it break from horsepower/me beating on it

oh and they aren't much fun to work on, but you go numb to it after a while, although pretty much any car you work on afterwards will feel like the simplest thing in the world :o

25. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I've become quite bitter towards the 3/S platform, don't mind me :embd: