3000gt Sl

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Omega6_Virus, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I am in the market for a newer car. I currently have a Volvo 940turbo and its nice, but I want something different. I love Volvo's and the car drives great, but I want something more sporty. Don't get me wrong, the Volvo is fun and can definatly hold it's own, but it's the only car I've had for my own use. I want a manual transmission, FWD for the winter months(my Volvo is RWD) and I just want to try something new.
    I'm looking at the 3000GT amoung other cars. I probably won't be able to get a Twin Turbo model due to the price. I'd be trading in my Volvo and paying the difference.
    Does anyone here own one? Do you like it? How is reliabililty? IDK what else to ask. I plan on test driving one some time this week.

2. episime

episime OT Supporter

Why not get an R32 GTS-4 or something? alternatively you could get an R32 GTR, depending on how much $$ you have. I dont really have any idea of what kind of cars are available in the US, but that would be a good bet in aus.

3. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Well, the 3000gt is a big fat pig, the SL is a big underpowered fwd fat pig, definitely not worth anything performance wise, but if you like the way they look, they are very cheap. Mitshbishis have probably the worst quality of all the japanese companies, and the 3000gt is very expensive to work on. Like I said, if you like the way it looks, get it, if you want something fun to drive and easy to work on, look around a little more. A price range would be good if you are looking for opinions

4. dimo

dimo New Member

One of my mates had a GTO (the TT version) and i really was not impresed with it. The car looks great but handles like shite as it is way to big and heavy as far as true sports cars go. Dont get me wrong its a nice car and wouldn't be to bad for a first sports car. You probably wouldn't want anything too powerfull straight away otherwise you would kill yourself (i'm not saying that u r a bad driver) . So 4 a person with little sports car experience i think the GTO would be quite a nice choice.

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I wouldn't get it.

6. dragenscorp

dragenscorp Guest

The SL is an okay car. It's a little on the heavy side so the handling is just average. The speed is just average too, but it sounds great like most Mitsu V6's. The later years (97-99) seem to be the best models and still turn heads after all this time.

What others are you looking at?

7. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I am also looking at a 88 Supra for sale near me. It is a turbo and only has 48k miles. I know its RWD and this one isn't a manual, but they are asking a low price for it. I actually prefer the way RWD handles too. I don't like wheel hop that you get from FWD. The winter's are not really that bad and I can get a ride if I need to.
    As of now, I'm leaning towards the 88 Supra more than anything else. I looked at LS1 Camaro's but they are more than I have to spend and I would only want an LS1. Checked out Preludes, 240Sx's, Audi 1.8t's, and VR6 VW's.

8. sduquette

sduquette Guest

From that list, I would go with the 5th gen prelude, mostly sue to it being probably the cheapest to maintain, on the quicker side of the cars listed, and probably one of the better handling too.

9. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

10. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

why dont u look at an eclipse or talon turbo? u can get FWD or AWD and most of them are really not that unreliable...maintenance would definately be cheaper than a 3000GT or old supra. the older DSMs are just getting lots of hard miles put on them from some people since u can make them fast for cheap... the AWDs have higher repair costs since people like to break differentials and such, but if its driven normally it wont require more maintenance than any other 5-12 year car that is equally fast. u can get a galant VR4 if u want 4doors and turbo..

or you could look at the older sentra SE-R, and the old VTEC prelude holds its value... scoob 2.5rs is a pretty nice daily driver if youre gonan keep it stock, i like MkIII Golf VR6s too and MR2 turbos are sweet if you can deal with a small ass car