GUN .300 win mag rifles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sgt Pepper, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I'm thinking about getting a new big game rifle in .300 win mag

Looking for a composite stock, detachable mag, and metal that would not corrode easily

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Remington 700 SPS DM
    [​IMG]

Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker
    [​IMG]

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless
    [​IMG]

What do guys think? Anything I missed?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Honestly, all those choices suck dick.

Actually, I can't speak on the Browning X-bolt, as I have no dealings with them. If they are anything like the A-Bort, pass. I'm trying to think of a decent rifle that Browning has made, but I'm drawing a blank......

Remmy's factory DBM is complete garbage. The sps stock is garbage, as is the finish (they will rust very quickly). Though I'm sure a ton of people will fight me to the death with this, I think tikka's suck too.

Standard reply: Stainless 700, McM stock. Skip the DBM (or pay the $$ for a Seekins or similar).

Cheaper alternative (maybe): Howa stainless barreled action, McM stock. No DBM.

How much money are you budgeting, and what are you doing with this rifle?

3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I'm not quite sure how much I want to spend on it yet but probably below 1k (not including optics of course). I have been using my dad's Ruger M77 in .270 win when we go out deer hunting but I think its time for me to get my own.

I'm getting this as a deer rifle but I want to have the ability to easily shoot a moose or caribou for my Alaska trip coming up next summer. I think the .270 is a bit light and I've wanted a bolt gun of my own.

SS is fine but I would prefer some sort of coating similar to my AR (black and rust resistant).

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Yeah, I'll bite.

$500 factory rifle that will do sub-MOA out of the box? What's to complain about? You can't customize the heck out of it like a Rem 700 or a Savage, but for a hunting rifle they are fine. Hell, the day I sighted mine in my final grouping was well under an inch with some handloads I had made from a standard recipe.

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Both my Rem 700 308 and 300 WSM were submoa out of the box.

But I had the SPS Tactical in 308 and the SPS regular 300 WSM and to be honest I just coated the outside of the barrel with ezeox and never had a rusting problem ever

6. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Remmy 700 SPS stainless in .300 Win Mag here. Under $1K with optic and bipod.

[​IMG]

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

That must be cheap glass :o

8. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

$150ish if I remember correctly, so yes. Hopefully it will survive the abuse.

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Any rifle I take out to hunt gets a nice coating of Barricade once a year and I've never had a problem. My friend used to have this stuff that was really thick and you had to buff the residue off, but there's basically no way you'd have to worry about it rusting.

BTW phrozen, I'm not saying the 700 wouldn't be a fine choice for hunting, my father has an SPS in .30-06 and loves it. The T3 Lite I have is great because it's more lightweight, more accurate than I've seen factory Rem 700 in .308 with factory loads and costs the same. Granted it's not as strong of an action and the upgrades are non-existant, the rifle is still a solid piece of equipment and I've been really pleased with mine for it's intended application.

I've considered building a heavy custom rig for long-range stuff and it's going to either be a 700 or a Mauser action. I'm leaning a bit more toward the 700 since it's push-feed but I have always liked Mauser 98 actions.

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You should add light weight to your criteria. Unless you plan to make a crazy long shot on a caribou, you'll be doing a lot of walking.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For $1k I'd consider building my own, or I'd be looking at a Kimber Montana or a Remmy Ti..... Both are pretty well laid out factory rifles that give you a lot, for little. Might be kinda hard to snag one in 300mag though.... I see several 300wsm Montana's floating around under $1k at the moment.

As for the Tikka's, I realize they are cheap and they shoot. My problem there is ...... so do most other offerings. Hell, a Savage can do that. I have a much bigger bitch with their stock design (which is hard/expensive to change), strange magbox/throat geometry, and a hinky magazine setup. Just too easy for me to do better with my $$$.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Oh, and this. You will hate a heavy rifle pretty quick if you plan on doing the things you are talking about.

13. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Good point :bigthumb: I guess I normally don't think about weight but it is definitely is a concern. The M77 that I'm used to carrying weights about 8 lbs and it seems to be pretty manageable, I think everything I'm looking at so far weighs about that if not less.

14. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I think a DBM will be a later upgrade. For $300 I'd rather build an AR lower with all the fixings.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Might want to check out the Savage offerings as well. They offer a lot for the money and the new accustock they are using are supposed to be quite nice for a factory stock, much nicer than the base 700 or old Savage stocks. Also the accutrigger is extremely nice for a stock trigger. Can also be had with the DBM which works well. Or you can get it without, either way.

If you're not looking to build your own, this is a very solid option.

Savage 116 stainless for suggested retail of $755. http://www.savagearms.com/116fcss.htm

[​IMG]

16. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Good call on waiting on the DBM. How many shots do you really need for a caribou? All the vids I've seen show them to be big sissies.

17. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

Typically I only need one round to take down big game but I mostly want to have a DBM to make loading and unloading easier. I'm not a huge fan of hitting the floor plate button and trying to catch all of the rounds as they fall out the bottom. If I had a mag it would be a simple drop the mag and un-chamber affair.

18. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper New Member

I think I'm going to end up going with a Tikka. They seem to be a pretty solid rifle and I would have more money to put towards glass and a bipod. It's more accurate than I need for my purposes, has a smooth action, and its got a DBM which is a nice feature. I'll have to track one down and handle it to see if I like the stock but otherwise it seems like my rifle.

Power of OT in action, thanks for everyone's help :bowdown::wavey:

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Yeah, spend some money on decent glass, the rifle can perform well with it.

I had a cheap 3-9x that a buddy got off a package rifle and used it for a while until it broke internally. I have a 40+ year old Tasco 4x40 on there now. It holds great but 4x sucks for target shooting. It's fine for hunting up to about 400 yards though.