300 or Sin City?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Sphygmo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

Which did you enjoy more? Sin City all the way for me. Rodriguez>>>>>>>>>>>>>Snyder. Merv FTMFW. :bowhs:

2. T-B

T-B New Member

I loved them both. But 300 made me after leaving the movie just want to go out and spear someone.:bigthumb:

3. owenstar

owenstar New Member

Wow thats tough....they are so different...they set a different mood after watching them...

I expected sin city to be great and it was...I expected 300 to suck after all the hype and it was not

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Sin City had higher highs but lower lows. Since it was an anthology, not all the stories were of the best quality. For example I didn't like the Bruce Willis story line so much.
    But the Rosario Dawson story line was better than "The 300" overall.

BTW, anyone heard when the next Sin City will be out? I heard Angelina Jolie is supposed to be in it.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 New Member

^^^^Summer of 2008

I cant really decide between them, they are both great in their own ways.

6. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

Sin City was a better movie

7. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

I think Rodriguez did a much better job of representing Miller's source material (I've actually read many Sin City graphic novels, and 300). Sin City was word for word, panel by panel true to the comic. Snyder took a lot of liberties with 300 and I think that all of the changes were detrimental to the overall film. It was a good, visceral cinematic experience (especially on an IMAX screen), but it was really quite vapid (and I understand that's intentional). A lot of the freedom rhetoric was anachronistic and distracting, and the pre-battle speeches grew repetitive for me.

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

hands down Sin City. 300 was nothing more than cinematography and strung together movie cliches (anyone notice the gollum rip off??). Total let down.

9. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

Yeah, 300 was a let down. My expectations were sooo high based on that ad campaign (which was much more impressive than the movie itself). It was a good fun time, but it was nothing more.

10. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

11. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Sin City was like 4 separate stories, each one only 30 minutes long, with 3 of them being garbage. You're comparing apple to oranges. And 300 the movie captured the visuals of 300 the comic perfectly, as good if not better than Sin City.

12. Grouch

Grouch Guest

That character was created 3 years before gollum was. They ripped off no one. :ugh:

13. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

I don't agree that it was as successful at capturing the source material, but that's my opinion. I really liked all three of the major stories in Sin City (That Yellow Bastard, A Dame To Kill For/The Big Fat Kill, and The Hard Goodbye), both from the graphic novels and the film. Sin City, to me, was the perfect comic book movie. Stylistic, ultra- over the top, but always fun. And overall, the visuals and attention to detail were striking.

14. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

Gollum was created back in the 40's with JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit.

15. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Not in any significant visual representation. :slap:

16. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

They had a Hobbit and LOTR animated film series from the UK back in the 70's that had Gollum in them. :)

But I don't really care, and I certainly don't find that as a fault with the movie.

17. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Which no one saw and looked nothing like him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. joy division

joy division New Member

i own/will own them both, who cares.

19. taikimoto

taikimoto New Member

for repeat viewings going with Sin City

20. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

the gollum rip off was not of the visual representation of the character, but from the first LOTR MOVIE where gollum is following the fellowship....hell they even had a 'theres somthing following us' followed by 'yes hes been there since.." line in 300...definate rip off of peter jackson...

21. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

No fucking way. Though Sin City was visually awesome, the movie itself was pretty awful. 300 was much more enjoyable for me.

22. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

300 was a pretty obvious movie to make, throw in some timely cliches about freedom against oppression and add stunning visuals that are incredibly fun to watch. breat combo.
    but i think sin city wins, it's more than just eye candy, it's engaging, it's nuts, it's art dude.

23. Axle13

Axle13 New Member

personally I thought the plot of sin city was a lot more thought out

24. Grouch

Grouch Guest

idiot. it's from the issue 3 of the comic that came out 3 years before any LOTR the movie. :slap:

25. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

i lol'd. I seriously don't know how you cant grasp this. The jrr tolkein books came out LONG before the comic, and IN THE BOOKS, gollum was secretly following the main characters (just like in 300)...the concept was taken from tolkein..

the imagery, whether in the comic books or not, was put to celluloid by jackson first...regardless of when the comic came out, the concept came from LOTR, and the visuals (of the mutant hopping from rock to rock) was first seen on the big screen in LOTR 1.

hell i caught MANY scenes in 300 that were rip offs of other movies like braveheart (every epic battle movie now has this cliche'd moment) and caligula FFS...most hollywood film is dirivitive of other hollywood film...it just plain isnt original in anyway other than cinematography

grats on becoming emotionally tied to an online discussion...i seriously lol'd.