30-36" HDTV for bedroom...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Melvin_91GT, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Melvin_91GT

Melvin_91GT New Member

All,

I'm currently in the market to replace my old 27" TV with a new HD-unit in my bedroom that's ~30-36". What I'm curious about is what you suggest? My brother just bought a new Toshiba 30" (30HF85) for ~$980 out the door with a stand, but, I'm convinced that I can do better than that. I've checked the Philips outlet that usually has a decent refurb on sale for a fair price, but, saw nothing that really interested me.

What can you suggest? Brands? Sizes that I should specifically look for? Should I look for something with HDMI?

My apologies, as I'm a bit out of the HD loop.

Thanks.

2. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

I would go with another Sony and yes to the HDMI.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi

4. PTOOIE

PTOOIE Guest

Samsung dude, go with Samsung.

5. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I just my first question is since you're looking at the 30-36" range, are you looking at a tube tv or an LCD flat panel?

Anyway, a year ago I would have told you to stay away from Samsung HDTV's (excluding their DLP's). However, their new line of tube tvs ranging from 27-36" have a lot better picture quality than in previous years. To keep the price down, they sometimes don't have a HDMI input though.

When I walk around BB, I'm just not impressed with anything by Phillips or Toshiba.

I agree with the HDMI also. You might not use it right now, but it's a nice feature to have. Newer DVD players are able to upconvert DVD images to 1080i through HDMI, instead of the analog 480i and progressive 480p through component.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Samsung has a pretty nice 16:9 30" tube HDTV out now. Picture quality is a little better than last years model, but they were able to cut the depth down by something like 8" too. It does have an HDMI input on it.

7. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

If you are looking for a smaller HD TV, Nothing will come close to a HD Sony CRT tube set, especially the XS955 or XBR sets IMO