GUN 3 SWAT members shot in no knock

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 30, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/dec/29/metro-officers-wounded-shooting/
    Metro officers wounded in shooting
    Three officers injured while serving narcotics warrant

By Jeremy Twitchell

Published Mon, Dec 29, 2008 (11:02 a.m.)

Updated Mon, Dec 29, 2008 (2:51 p.m.)

Three Metro Police officers were wounded Sunday night after they were fired upon while they served a warrant on a home in Henderson's Seven Hills neighborhood.

Metro was serving a narcotics warrant at the home just before 10 p.m. when an occupant shot at officers as they entered, police said. The injuries the officers sustained were not life-threatening, according to a Metro Police spokesmen.

Police arrested Emmanuel Dozier, 32, and booked him into the Clark County Detention Center on suspicion of three counts of attempted murder of a police officer and three counts of sale of cocaine. He is being held on $3 million bail.

KLAS-TV reported that a woman who lived in the home said police did not announce that they were coming in the house and that the man who fired on them, who neighbors said is her boyfriend, believed he was protecting the home from intruders.

In a statement, Metro Lt. Lew Roberts said Dozier fired on the officers through the door as they attempted to enter the home, and that he surrendered a short time later.

Monday morning, the home was boarded up, the porch had shattered glass on it and a number of bullet holes were visible on the front door. As the final police detectives left the scene, neighbors began to venture out of their homes and survey the damage.

Most of them were in their homes when they heard the shooting begin.

"We were in the back room and I heard four or five big shots, and then four or five smaller shots, so maybe 10 shots total," said Brad Otton, whose lives next door.

Otton said he looked out the window and saw SWAT teams everywhere. Police knocked on his door and told the family they should leave. Once the road was cleared, Otton said, he and his family went to a hotel for the night.

Most of the neighbors said they didn't know the residents of the home and hadn't seen any suspicious activity.

"I was surprised and scared," Deanna Otton said. "There's blood on our driveway."

Across the street, Melody Detwiler said she was visiting her father's home and playing cards with family members when she heard a series of loud bangs and then looked out the window.

"We didn't see the shots, but we did see one of the officers down," Detwiler said. "It looked like he had been shot in the leg. The other officers were around him and trying to encourage him and support him, but you could tell he was in pain — just in agony."

Detwiler said she had SWAT members all around her house, including a sniper who was positioned on her front porch.

"It was crazy," she said. "It was really, really scary. It was scary to see all the SWAT people and all of the guns."

Mike Henry, who was the only neighbor who said he knew the man arrested, said he didn't believe the man had anything to do with drugs.

"I got him a job at the sheet metal union," Henry said. "He was on the right track. He's a good guy. Him being a drug dealer? No way."

Henry said there are a lot of people coming and going at the house, but they are all family members of the residents.

The Clark County Department of Family Services has taken three children from the residence into protective custody, department spokeswoman Christine Skorupski said.

Skorupski said it is department policy to take children into custody if they are believed to be in imminent danger of physical harm.

"Considering that there was a shooting at the residence, I think it's safe to say that (the children) were in danger of being harmed," Skorupski said.

A hearing will be held within 72 hours to determine who will have custody of the children, she said.

========

Don't see anything in the article about them actually finding any drugs. Found another article that says no drugs found :dunno: http://www.lvrj.com/news/36871599.html

2. First there was that immigrant guy who shot 3 swat officers on a no knock raid, now this guy. That makes 6 swat officers shot between these 2 raids. In this case, they don't say that the officers fired any shots, but in the other case, they fired 22 without any hits. These aren't exactly encouraging numbers from a SWAT perspective.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The linked article on the bottom says the chief praised them for not returning fire because of children in the house, I assume they'll be getting their medals shortly.

4. Yeah. Real criminals should just keep children around, then they can shoot up the SWAT team, and the the cops won't return fire.

5. Laurel

Laurel New Member

They took away the kids because "there was a shooting." That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, there was shooting because the SWAT team broke into the house unannounced and the man was trying to protect his family!

That's frustrating.

6. njftw

njftw New Member

Too bad this guy was apparently not a criminal.

Way to go misinformed cops

7. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Could the neighbor have asked the swat sniper to move off of her front porch? Are you within your rights to tell the officer to get of your property?

My thinking is if the sniper is in a position to shoot, then he is in position to be shot and I dont want people having any reason to shoot at my house.

8. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

When will police departments learn to verify their warrants and knock first. :ugh:

9. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I know I would. I'd buy me some little servant kids to wash my dishes and act as cannon foder in the event of a gubmit search. Then I'd have more to fear from CPS than SWAT! :rofl: No, no, don't take my HUMAN SHIELDS away!!!!

10. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

if they do any actual police work, they'd lose precious time that could be spent playing solider...

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

12. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Total bullshit once again. I'm sure even if it was the wrong house nothing would be done to the police even though this country was founded on the 2nd and 4th amendments. :madfawk:

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Fucking no knocks.

14. hurleywurley

hurleywurley OT Supporter

scary stuff

15. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

really? that sucks..

16. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

They took the kids for a lot more than that. I can't say why exactly, but these people were anything but the saints the media makes them out to be. Our SWAT team announces themselves very loudly in every warrant, and they are not brought in for every warrant. The is a reason they were there.

17. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

:ugh::ugh::ugh: Way to go liberal media trying to paint drug dealers as saints.

18. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

It's instances like these that make me want to become a criminal defense attorney. Hearing from attorneys who went that route, most of them are guilty though.

19. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Anyone barging through my door without announcing themselves will be shot on site as well.

20. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Go figure they announced themselves, and the door wasnt even close to being open when they were shot. They were on the way up to the door when he started shooting.

21. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I love how WMD crew gets all pissed at the media about "assault weapons" reporting, but then ride thier nuts and believe everything they say when a story like this comes out. :ugh:

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I would think that under the 3rd amendment, one would have legal justification to force them off your property unless they had a warrant.

23. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Bravo! Good for him. "no knock" warrants are the biggest load of shit ever, and the fact that they're allowed by courts is a fucking travesty.

24. johan

johan Active Member

So what's the answer to noknocks?

Maybe installing a steel door & frame so reinforced, shaped charges would be needed to blow it off.

Avoids the surprise factor at least.

25. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

They could just some in through a window.

Or rip the wall out like in that movie :mamoru: