A&P 3 people have approached me about buying from me...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by -desi-pari-, Apr 18, 2009.

1. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

... they've all wanted to purchase this http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4170807 but I have no idea how to go about it, I mean, I have no experience, I'm no business woman. They want canvas prints, I don't know how to speak to them about it without sounding all dumb.

Help :(

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

jared does canvas, i think.

but you're in the UK...

3. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

that lens flare is like a shiny bauble for fish. reel in that skrilla

4. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Ah shame :( I asked a guy from the UK for some advice, he said he's too busy.
    Those folks love the lens flare, I think if i hadn't sprinkled glitter over that one drop there would've been no lens flare, many people have asked me if it was fake? :mamoru:

5. johan

johan Active Member

It ain't rocket science....you can do it.

why dont you find someone that does canvas prints locally.
    If you don't know where, ask at a pro lab, or a place that caters to pros.
    Examine their sample prints. Would you buy it?

If so, price out a few options (sizes). Add 30%.

Give this number to those clients.
    If they want them, they pre-pay.
    Hand deliver and ensure total satisfaction.

If you start doing more than just 1 or 2, set up a company.
    Start working your costs at wholesale.

6. Lol McRofles

Lol McRofles Lollers OT Supporter

Is the buyer from the states? Maybe you can set something up with Jared where the buyer pays you, you pay Jared, then Jared ships directly to buyer. :dunno: That would be the way I would try to go about it.

7. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Johan - It is rocket science for me, I don't want to go wrong anywhere.

I will actually make an effort and look around tomorrow since it's saturday.

Do you think my images are good enough to set up a company?

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I'm sure Jared would ship out there... might cost a pretty penny, but it can be done. His work is great.

9. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Ah no, i'm in the UK!!

10. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Postage would be so high i'd most probably make no profit.

11. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

there's bound to be some printing labs around you. :dunno:

12. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I'm googling right now :)

13. Lol McRofles

Lol McRofles Lollers OT Supporter

I know you are, where's the buyer located?

14. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

UK too, they're all from UK!

15. johan

johan Active Member

Honestly, I think your portrait work shows promise, but it isn't really gallery material....yet

Don't take offense, you've shown some good work, just in need of polish.

besides, youre not one of the bottom feeders that thinks theyre above improvement, or so "satisfied" they dont need to improve.

If they're happy, so be it, but that road doesn't lead to excellence.

Keep working at it...by next year, when you look back, you'll be amazed.

But whether you should set up a company...why not?

If that's where you want to go, and you have buyers interested...do it!!

16. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I'm not refering to portrait work, just my macro drop stuff because that's what people seem to be attracted to.

Ah no way, I think for someone who started off in January I have alot of work to do, I haven't promoted myself or anything, I made my website to apply for work experience it's just my portfolio also when people see my work posted on forums and deviant/flickr thet message me and ask me if they can use it and how much I charge, I don't know what to say in return.

Thanks for the advice :big grin:

No, I don't think i'm ready to set up a company just as yet.. I just asked because you said sell 1 or 2 and set up a company maybe I misunderstood you :o

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  17. johan

johan Active Member

Its probably too much hassle if you just have these 3 buyers.

I'd do these 3 as one-off's. If you keep getting interest beyond these...well, up to you, but I would.

Depends if you're business minded though. Lots of tax benefits, for sure.
    And if you're really getting a lot of $$ inquiries...that should tell you something.

If people keep wanting to give you money...put yourself in a position to accept it :)

18. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I don't think i'm smart enough to start my own business...

19. johan

johan Active Member

I highly doubt that. As long as you have desire & work hard, you can do it.

There's all kinds running businesses out there. Think about it.
    Genius doesn't appear to be a pre-requisite far as I can tell.....:wiggle:

20. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Lol, well i'm going to go out and research a little tomorrow, i've never seen any printing shops near me so i'll have to go out of town... tomorrow is dedicated to canvas printing ;)

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Congratulations, and good luck. I've liked most of your posts, really only had seen a few that i didn't like. You've got talent. like johan said above, do those 3 as one-offs, but if you keep getting requests, and inquiries as to your prices, that should tell you something.

22. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Starting and running a business isn't rocket science, but it does take huge amounts of time and dedication... especially at first if you have no experience. Jack Warner, the legendary head of Warner Bros. Studios, was once asked how to succeed in show business. His response was, "less show, more business". Always remember your business exists primarily to make a profit. That involves knowing what your customers want and are willing to pay for. Sometimes that isn't the same as what you might be led to believe. Business is sorta like maths; you make a profit and prosper, or you take continual losses and go out of business... sadder perhaps, but wiser.

To make a profit, you have to keep your overhead and costs to the minimum while maximizing your unit sales. Small production runs tend to be more expensive to produce, but reduce your inventory control costs. Larger production runs, being cheaper can lead to lowering your prices and/or increasing your profit margin. The two basic strategies are: (1) sell a lot for small prices capitalizing on a large market, or (2) sell a few at very high prices from a narrower, but perhaps more discerning market.

Your photos of droplets are outstanding, and I'm not surprised that there is a market for them. How big is that market? How much is the market willing to pay? You probably don't know the answers to either question yet, so it's also probable that its too early to develop a business strategy and plan. As suggested by others here, start by selling your product(s) as one offs as a means of determining how strong a demand there is for your work. Part of that process is to carefully monitor your costs and pricing.

What are your costs, and how much profit do you want to make? Printing and shipping may be your primary costs at this time, so you need to know the costs for doing that. The overhead and unit costs would be much greater if you were formally "in business". Once your costs are known, then add onto that number your expected profit. Don't over price, especially at first. One way is to calculate the time and effort you put into producing the master unit, and add your anticipated profit. For small production runs with a product just being introduced to the market, keep the profit low... say 10% over your initial cost. Over some fixed period you will learn what the demand is for your product, given your marketing sales pitch.

You can then adjust your marketing until you are convinced your maximizing the product's potential... and who/what your primary customer is. That information will help determine what your future strategy might be.

23. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I just did an estimated shipping run through the US Postal service, and it would be somewhere around $60 to ship a 10lb box from Philly to London (I'm not sure where you live, so I used London...)

Depending on what size you were looking for, I could most likely fit all 3 prints + packing materials inside that 10lb box.

$60 really isn't that bad....

24. johan

johan Active Member

if that $60 works out for you (it should) I would go with Jared.
    You know he's not gonna ship you crap.

Proven quality beats saving a buck or two when your reputation is on the line.

Just factor in the addnl ship costs into the purchase, and tell them these canvases have been specially imported from overseas... people usually think foreign/imported has some special cachet over the local lab. ;)

25. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Thanks alot, i'm researching a little on the business side of things. Glad you like some of my work :)
    Ok, thanks soo sooo much for putting in the effort to reply to me, I will sit down, read this properly and respond... I need to concentrate LOL!
    I will have to look into it, since paying you for postage will save me with no money for commission, thanks for adding to this thread, I will definitely keep this in mind :big grin:
    This is sooo true, i'm really confused though :(