3 noob questions I can't seem to find specific answers for

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Johnny Burners, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

1) Are there any drawbacks to working out early (7 A.M.)?

2) Should cardio work be done on an empty stomach?

3) Should cardio work come before or after weight training?

Thanks.

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

1) Do what's best for you. It's better to lift in the morning than not at all.
    2) Do you mean after a night of sleep ? I don't think it's good since your body's already using a lot of amino acids to get its energy (unless you're in ketosis).
    3) Whatever fits you best. Some like before as a warm up, but some prefer after to keep their energy for the lifting.

3. Jonari

Jonari Well-Known Member

I can help you with #1, but I've also tried to look for #2 & #3. I work out at 6AM in the morning, and I feel great after I'm done. I have a lot more energy throughout the day and have accomplished my goal. I try to workout everyday.

4. supramandrew87

supramandrew87 Picture Me Rollin OT Supporter

#2 FWIW, I've heard that cardio on an empty stomach (waking up) is bad since your glycogen stores are depleted from the night. When you exercise, your body turns to its most efficient source for energy, and starts robbing the muscles of it. You'd actually be undoing some of your lifting, by breaking down the muscles.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I do cardio except for very long runs on either an empty stomach or some gatorade; I just do better that way. It's kind of a "how does it work for you" thing in some ways. There are studies that show however that a small amount of protein/carbs pre-cardio leads to better performance and better adaptations afterwards.

Main thing to remember is that eating a hundred calories or so pre-cardio will probably help you go harder, and won't negate what you burn in the actual session.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

1.Working out soon after you wake up has been shown to cause more injuries
    2.No
    3.After, and if you have to choose between cardio or weightrainning go wih weights

7. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

1. Testosterone levels are highest in the morning, therefore some would say it's best to workout right after you wake up.

2. I'm not sure, if you just ate though you might burn glycogen as it enters the blood stream :dunno: If my assumtion is correct, and if you're trying to cut, cardio after eating would be a good thing.

3. I've heard yes, and that's what I do. I get my heart rate up before I workout, making my workouts almost a cardio experience. my heart stays pretty active for the next hour that I'm working out, I know I'm burning alot of calories.

8. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

1. do whatever works best for you
    2. no
    3. yes

9. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

1. it is better to work out in the morning (as long as you eat before you get into the gym) because you spend the rest of the day putting food into you, as opposed to night where you have one meal then go to bed and fast for 8 hours.

2. studies have shown that in the long run it is better to do cardio with food in your stomach than not.

3. cardio work should come after lifting, though not too intense directly afterwards. cardio directly before will affect your ability to lift heavier and your endurance as you will be more tired.

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

1. Nothing substantial. Just warm up thoroughly.
    2. No
    3. If you are working out first thing in the morning just do cardio first which will give you a good warmup. I sometimes have to instruct kickboxing/jiu jitsu for 1-2 hours before lifting and i still pr on those workouts. Cardio shouldn't have too much of an effect on your lifts.

11. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

instructing kickboxing and jiu jitsu is probably not as tiring as taking those classes though. i would think that if you did cardio at a hard pace, and lifted heavy, one would inevitably suffer.

12. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I take part in the classes, especially kickboxing, just as much as everyone else.

My lifting is suffering slightly, but it's not significant and I'm still making great improvements. My biggest problem is overtraining and I'm fixing that right now.

I used to be training hard twice a day 5 days a week and actually kept that up for about a year. Now I'm facing the consequences. Sure I'm in good shape overall, well conditioned, strong, etc... but just about every other joint in my body also has a problem with it and I'm pretty fatigued most of the time. I'm taking 2 weeks off and significantly dropping training frequency.

13. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

midday is best

14. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I'm pretty sure it's highest late at night

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

it doesn't fuckin matter what time in the day testosterone is highest

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:rofl:

17. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Ceaze's is highest at 2:38 PM :o

But seriously, I never advocated working out when test is highest... it's not like it's some great fucking fluctuation people... just workout

18. Johnny Burners

Johnny Burners Indeed...

How about eating directly after a cardio workout? If I am trying to burn fat, is it recommended to eat something after hopping off of the treadmill?

19. hootpie

hootpie New Member

1) Depends on the situation ie if you are really groggy, tired, and unmotivated at 7am, then that's a drawback because you'll have a lower-intensity workout. However, if your training intensity isn't any different at 7am than it would be at 2pm or 7pm, you're fine.

2) Eat something high in complex carbs 30-60 minutes before you do cardio and you'll be fine. I wouldn't do cardio 10 minutes after a meal.

3) 45 minutes of HIIT is probably a bad idea before weightlifting because you wont have anything left to lift weights with, but a nice 5-10 minute warmup to get the blood flowing is fine.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You should work out when you feel the best. I can't do a decent morning workout to save my life because I have no energy in the morning. I have to work out in the afternoon or night. Then again, I'm a weightlifter and I'm not trying to lose weight, so the rules might be different for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.