SRS 3 miles in 18 minutes.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bait, Apr 16, 2005.

1. bait

bait New Member

3 miles in 18 minutes (running), to keep me from going completely apeshit.
    This is the second time I've done this, and it helps me handle it when things go really bad, like today.

I'm 16, 17 in about 4 days. I went home with my friend after track today, and got a call from my parents at about 9:30 (dad was supposed
    to come get me at 10) saying they had a letter from governors scholars. Governors scholars is a kentucky program where high school students the summer after junior year spend five weeks at a participating kentucky college. It basically garuntees a free ride anywhere in state. I was pretty sure I would be accepted, because I have great test scores and I've been constantly involved in extra-cirricular activites all through high school.

Wrong.

I got rejected, and I honestly am not sure why. I've worked my ass off, I'm considered easily one of the smartest people in my high school class, and this was my one way to pay for college.

So thats fucked. Great.

You see, my family as a whole is pulling in about 50k a year total, a large portion of it from a frame shop we own in crestwood, just keeping minimum payments down on shit. I just found out today we are approximately 120k in debt. By profession, my father is a forensic chemist, but he loves framing, and has become somewhat prominent in the local industry. My dad works as an analyst at an environmental firm across the river, making about 30k a year plus overtime. We dont get health insurance from it, and my parents are old and unhealthy (mom smokes) so they pay out the ass from a second rate insurer for heath insurance. My dad gets up at 4:30 or 5 in the morning, goes to his day job, works until 2 or so, goes to the shop, and stays there until 6. Then goes back to his day job to finsih other shit, because that place is going down the hole and not enough people are there to get the work done. Hes pretty much working 16 hour days right now. The job market here for what he does is absolutely worthless, he cant find a job for anything. A couple of weeks ago he traveled to savannah georgia for a job interview, which went well, and we've been waiting on a call from them. We expected much better pay, and the call has finally came. Theyre offering about 43k, plus overtime and much better benefits. What it comes out to is about the same, except my dad will be living in georgia while my mother and I live here so I can finish up high school where I am. In other words, its not worth it at all. Theres a chance he'll get offered more, but I dont know.

So now theres two things, but oh theres more.

My mother has a slightly different work day than my dad. She gets up at about 8, makes it to the shop at 10. Sits around watching TV and playing mah-jong unless a customer shows up. Once my dad gets there around 2, she takes a 2 hour lunch break. Gets back, generally plays more mah-jong. In other words, she doesnt do jack. I still love her, shes been there for me many times, but she is not helping a thing. She refuses to get a job. Why? because she cant work with other people. She is all important, and just kind of marches to the beat of her own drum. People generally cant stand her, because shes bossy but doesnt do a thing herself.. this isn't an angsty biased teenage point of view either... this has happened time and time again. Its why she left her last job, because nobody could stand her and someone finally said something about it. That was probably 10 years ago, possibly not quite that long. The thing is though, after I came downstairs to just kind of deal with all of this, my parents started yelling. My dad basically told her what I just said, and she doesnt take too well to being told her own faults. I don't know exactly what transpired; I stayed downstairs, but shes not here now. She took her car and left.

Essentially, 3 things fucked up hardcore in my life, all in the course of about an hour. I dont know what the hell I'm going to do now. I cant stand being the man without a plan. I've still got fallback options, but the fact that I didnt make this has hit me like a ton of bricks.. I thought if anyone deserved it it was me. That coupled with the fact that my whole family is money fucked plus my parents have finally got into this has just totally destroyed me.

2. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

You have fall backs. As long as you have options, there is always opportunity to get around your current situation and make something of yourself with what you have been presented. As for the money troubles in your family, I know where you are coming from. My parents have spent years getting out of debt. It's been several YEARS since things have been straightened out, yet we are trying to make ends meet. Your father moving away is heavy but you have to do what you have to do. Your mother feels that it is not necessary for her to get a job or be productive, but you are not in the position to tell her what to do with her life. If she has spent this long doing what she pleases, only the hard knocks of life will teach her otherwise, IF she is even willing to bend her will after that.

Think of it this way. You have the oppotunity to be a positive role model TO your mother, without directly getting into her affairs. Work hard at what you are doing and what you will be doing. Take the lessons from your parents worklives and make sure you are in a position to be self-sufficient or at least ready yourself to be. Maybe this will change how your mother views work and accomplishment. If it doesnt , at least you won't be doomed to repeat the same mistakes

Don't feel bad about not being selected. Decisions are made on so many different criteria. The program you described sounds like ti would be quite selective. Don't take their denial of entry into the program as a bad reflection on you. There are ways to pay for school that don't involve full rides. Apply with the FAFSa for financial aid assistance. Look and apply for scholarhips (Fastweb.com)

Good luck :)

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

120k is a LOT of money in debt. This means that there is a financial LEAK somewhere in your family.

-Money is dissapearing
    -Not enough money is made
    -Too much money is being spend.

The only way to solve this is to close and shut off the leak that is causing all of these financial problems.

A solid financial plan , always involves

-numbers
    -constant analysation of the situation
    -combining your talents with your money
    -making more money then you spend

When it comes to your school i would say DONT WORRY. You could have a talk with your principal about your carreer future, you know he/she might know far more oppertunities that you mayhaps could follow if you show that you have great grades, and ask what you can do with them. I am sure that the principal doesn't want your talent to goto waste. You can actually directly tell this, and appeal to the decision that is made. You know when it comes to life, nothing that you try to gain goes without a fight. If they don't want you to apply for that Kentucky course, let those assholes work to try to stop you, don't just 'give away' to them to what you have worked hard for. This counts for any situation in your life. There will always be jerks that try to stop you in your life. But like a footbal player you have to walse over them, jump and run like hell to reach the goal on the other side that you are trying to reach. Your parents, what can i say about your parents, your mother seems to learn some manners, she isn't seeing that she is putting darkness and misery into other people's lives while she should be putting love and light into your,your dads and her customers and collegues lives.

You know college, carreer, diploma's your position,the amount of money you posses , all don't mean shit in life. What really matters in life is your loving interaction with other people. Really get cancer while you have 30 million on your bank account really doesn't gonna garentee you won't die from that disease. So everything is relative, but bear in your mind that you have to look at what you have, try to make the best of it. And remember that those good grades are really!!! yours, which means you are a talented fellow who has potential , the only thing you have to do is to bypass the situation that is now thrown to you. Which can be done by appealling the kentucky case, or searching for a valid alternative. Really this is hardly the end of it. Mainly because hey, you don't have 120k debt your parents have. WHich is nasty but you will escape from it one day when you are on your own + if you have your own financial situation in your hand. Your school can work out , everyone gets punches in their lives, what matters is that you punch hard back. And walse over life and not letting life walse over you. Just be a tiger and go get em!!!

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

oh yeah, MOTIVATE your mother to quit smoking.

5. bait

bait New Member

things have at least calmed down now. I'm not really brooding over the whole thing anymore, at least ill have the whole summer to work and do shit with friends.

6. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

6 minute miles are good. (My best marathon was 3:11 ;)) Keep running, keep getting good grades. I sure you'll get a scholarship, or you can do something through R.O.T.C.

http://www.siue.edu/ROTC/bcamp.html