GUN 3 men break into a house, 1 man leaves the house and is charged with murder.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Nov 16, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Bonus points, its in Cali and its not the home owner, extra bonus point racism. Also includes a WTF factor.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_re_us/break_in_murder;_ylt=AiUCasUNs7CiwihVGhF29sRH2ocA

LAKEPORT, Calif. - Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.

"It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."

Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.

Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.

The Provocative Act doctrine does not require prosecutors to prove the accused intended to kill. Instead, "they have to show that it was reasonably foreseeable that the criminal enterprise could trigger a fatal response from the homeowner," said Brian Getz, a San Francisco defense attorney unconnected to the case.

The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.

Brown and other NAACP officials are asking why the homeowner is walking free. Tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.

"This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."

On Thursday, a judge granted a defense motion for a change of venue. The defense had argued that he would not be able to get a fair trial because of extensive local media coverage and the unlikelihood that Hughes could get a jury of his peers in the county. A new location for the trial will be selected Dec. 14.

The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

"I didn't do anything wrong. All I did was defend my family and my children's lives," said Edmonds, 33. "I'm sad the kids are dead, I didn't mean to kill them."

He added: "Race has nothing to do with it other than this was a gang of black people who thought they were going to beat up this white family."

California's Provocative Act doctrine has primarily been used to charge people whose actions led to shooting deaths.

However, in one notable case in Southern California in 1999, a man who robbed a family at gunpoint in their home was convicted of murder because a police officer pursuing him in a car chase slammed into another driver in an intersection, killing her.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

"Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

there was a huge thread about this in the main forum.

the guy failed, he only got 2/3 and they better push for the death penalty

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Sounds like the felony murder rule that we have, and it's not "rarely used."

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

And those cocksuckers at the NAACP want the homeowner charged? :ugh:

5. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

IT's a good law imo. Guns dont kill people minorities do.

These are the only types of cases the NAACP can go after because it is as a 1 in a million when whites attack blacks unprovoked and violently.

So the NAACP go after cases where whites morally kill black criminals but legally are borderline.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:ugh:

7. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

disproportionate amount of gun crime by minorities but you get the picture

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: you need to aware of the results of you actions, but I feels its better to apply that law towards the death of innocent bystanders or the intended victims, but to apply it towards the death of other willing participants seems a little odd.

They want him charged on the grounds he had medications in his system that he had prescriptions for, which I find pretty ridiculous, "I better not take my medications, it might make it so my rational decision could be criminal."
    The only ground at all the NAACP has if if their claim that they were shot in the back is true and not just a figure of speech.

9. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'm surprised no one in here has made issue of the fact that the guy smokes pot, since I don't think many people in this sub forum would approve of it.

That being said, legalize! Then again, I'm a libertarian.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Doesn't bother me, its legal there, no worse then alcohol IMO.

Sounds like a good shoot to me.

11. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Uh huh. This is very important to my internets.

12. Section8

Section8 .

The guy said he's sorry he killed them - I wouldn't be. They beat his step-son with a damn baseball bat and he's a vegetable now.

13. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I have no problem with this. the robbers deserved to die and the homeowner was protecting his family. it doesn't even matter if they tried to flee, he still had reason to believe they were dangerous, killing them was the only option. and the one surviving asshat should rot in jail for the rest of his life, he deserves no sympathy for being black and beating a kid basically to death (crippled/brain damaged=dead).

14. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Well sounds like the old felony murder doctrine to me. I don't very much like it, but it's definitely legal.

If your accompliced gets killed during the commission of a felony, you are held responsible for his death, even though you did not directly kill him.'

It's a bullshit law IMO, but this guy isn't a victim of racism.

:bowdown:

15. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

wow, you're an idiot.

16. Aequitas

I like the felony murder law. You know when you commit a felony that the possibility exists for someone getting killed and it makes it possible to hold responsible everyone involved.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In some cases I'm in favor of it, in this case it sounds ok to me, in others like when a cop is responding to a call and takes out a family at an intersection not so much.

18. Aequitas

I don't know, if it wasn't for the guy fleeing the family wouldn't have suffered a loss. Someone needs to be held accountable for it.

19. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Like the cop being reckless

20. 7lvis

7lvis Guest

I think its fair to say at least one of these 3 young black men listened to rap music with racist lyrics.

21. Aequitas

Because it's safe to assume he was being reckless? If the guy hadn't fled the situation never would have arose. Anything that happens because of him running is on his head.

22. Finest

Finest OG #93

I didn't see this part. If true, let 'em fry!

23. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Medical Marijuana, he had a prescription for it, so nothing wrong what so ever with it, at least legally. To me its no big deal, if fact its just as absurd as saying there would be something wrong if they had been shot and the guy had been drinking a beer watching TV or having a glass of wine with dinner, or even some whiskey with his cigar.

The whole complaining about the victim of an assault routine is just horrible, complain all you want about the murder charge, but to even imply that a man should be charged with a crime when the attacker and his accomplices attack and seriously/permanently injured is absolutely inexcusable.

24. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Uh ... yeah. No weighted terms in that statement there, buddy...

25. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Sure the terms are weighted, but that's exactly what happened. The word "gang" might have a stigma, but black people attacking a white family is exactly what the situation was, and that's the only race issue at play here.