GUN 3.5lb Trigger on a Glock you carry a bad idea?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Emanon, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Was at the range yesterday and they offered to change out my 5lb trigger to with the 3.5lb one. Included the connector, spring and polish everything up for $50.

Now my question is.....

Is that a good idea for a carry weapon? I know my glock will not fire unless I pull the trigger and have leaned towards getting this done but have had a couple friends tell me it was a bad idea for a carry weapon.

So what is the consensus here?

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Zev Tech connector will achieve the same for alot less and not impair reliability

3. sickmonkey44

sickmonkey44 01

I would not screw with it if it is a carry gun.

I put all the G34 target parts (disco, slide, mag release) on my 17 and i like it but it is not a carry gun.

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I put a lighter connector in my G26, it only lowered the pull weight by a pound though, and I've ran a couple thousand rounds through it since and I haven't had any trouble.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Some guys I know run NY1 springs and 3.5lb connectors. Makes for a solid 5lb pull.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

its fairly common. shouldn't hurt the reliability of the gun, and makes for a much more pleasant trigger pull.

should be plenty safe if you keep the finger off the trigger till ready to fire and use a quality holster.

7. mostrandom17

mostrandom17 New Member

He is absolutely right. You should watch your fingers, how they are working with trigger.

8. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I run a 4.5# Ghost trigger in my carry G19 and I polished up the parts myself. Slightly less pull weight than stock and better feel.

9. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I have a '-' connector in one of my carry glocks. No problems, and it only feels slightly lighter to me.
    I have no problems with it.

10. jls

jls New Member

i wouldnt want my g19 much lighter than it is :dunno: I wouldnt mind it being a little smoother though

and on that note my 10/22 trigger group should be in tomorrow from a stone/polish/spring job and should be at about 2.2lbs :)

11. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all if it makes you more effective with a gun you are intimately familiar with.

The bad idea theory comes from Ayoob's old books admonishing people to not modify any guns they may anticipate using defensively lest some overzealous attorney wave around your killing machine with a hair-trigger as evidence you are cold-blooded murderer lying in wait for the poor, helpless intruder you capped.

I've only rarely heard of any cases where such legal tactics were employed and if anyone can reference any cases where they were effective in turning an otherwise justified shooting into a murder rap, I'd like to hear about it.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

exactly what i was thinking. i wouldn't modify much of anything on a carry piece just for this reason.

it' would be bad enough dealing with the legal bullshit after a shoot, then figure in modified trigger and ya can see the lawyers licking their lips in anticapation

13. kds000

kds000 New Member

i run this, feels good man

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

As the rest of my post stated, I have only heard of a few cases where lawyers who knew they had already lost even tried to bring up anything like this and they were essentially laughed at.

If you are justified in shooting someone, it doesn't much matter if you use a blackpowder musket or a 1911 racegun with a red dot, and again, I defy anyone to present me a case where such features had any bearing on the outcome of the case.

I will postulate that putting a bayonet on your CZ75 would stand a good chance of making you the case study, but otherwise any internal mods are not even likely to be noticed, nevermind brought up in court.

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

LOL.

Do you carry 10rd mags and full metal jacket bullets? Wouldn't want anyone to think you're looking to kill with those deadly hollow points and hi-cap magazines.

16. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I don't see the prob with modifying a carry gun so long as it makes it more reliable, easier to shoot accurately, etc. If it's going to make it less reliable then that's a concern for you and your safety, not the legal team.

17. johnson

johnson New Member

I use a 3.5 pound connector with the NY-1 trigger spring in my Glock 19.