3/4 or 1 ton truck (diesel)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by P07r0457, May 17, 2005.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have ruled out the dodge because I've heard many problems with their auto trannys, and even if it's okay, it's still a 4-speed. Furthermore, the backseat sucks, and the interior is very basic with no creature comforts.

With that said, I only see the Ford and Chevy as alternatives. It would be the PowerStroke/Duramax, in either case. I know of the excellent reputation that precedes the Allison tranny... Any word on the TorqShift? How about gas mileage? Something I couldn't find out was whether XM Satellite radio was availabe with Ford's stock head unit (not with a seperate screen). I looked at a Chevy and it seemed well-built and well-behaved. I looked at the Ford and really liked the idea of a solid front axel, and the bigger interior volume. However, the salesman was a dumbass and couldn't answer any of my technical questions. I happened to notice several quality-control issues with the Ford under the hood... Namely a set of loose wires (cut, not attached to anything, simply hanging there by the rear of the engine bay, drivers-side), a rubber band that was left around the ABS lines (obviously happened during manufacturing because you'd have to remove the ABS lines to remove the rubber band without cutting it) as well as some plastic fittings that were extra, and not attached.

With the QC issues and the dumbass sales person, I left the dealer. However, I now see that it was premature... Every manufacturer will have a few slip through the cracks.

What are some benefits/disadvanatges of going with either the ford or chevy?

2. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

what year. the newer alisons are OK, but the older ones are crap. This is what i hear from everyone. Also i dont like the looks as much as the Fords, but thats personal opinion.

If you are going to lift it, might as well get the SFA as oppsosed to the IFS.

Im buying a 99 F250 6sp when i sell my car.

good luck, keep us posted.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not going to lift it. Everyone I have spoken to says the Alison is the god of all transmissions... However, I have also heard that the 06 Silv. will have a 6-speed Alison... I could hold off 5 months for the 06 if that is true.

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

in the newer trucks, both are AWSOME. yes hte new allison is good, the older ones suck. Though the D-max isn the most powerful engine, but it is more refined and quiet. I like the styling of the Ford Much better, but either way you cant lose.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

from what I can tell, the dmax puts out more torque, and does so at a lower rpm than the powerstroke.

i went to a different ford dealer this morning and I found yet another dumbass that didn't know anything about his trucks. He went on and on about how the chevy is a C-channel frame and the Ford is a fully-boxed frame... until I bent over and actually stuck my hand over the frame... Much to my dismay, the entire frame -- front to back -- on the Ford is a C-channel. And as an oddity, you cannot get XM or Sirius from ford...

So it comes down to me liking the exterior and drivetrain of the Chevy more, but the interior of the Ford more.

the search continues...

6. boomerofpa

boomerofpa New Member

I have an 03 DMAX/Ally extended cab short bed that I pull my 5th wheel trailer 12,500 lbs. This year I put a 4" exhaust with a low restriction muffler and a Van Aaken chip. I am making 450 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque. I love smoking the imports with a big truck. Smashing the pedal and driving around town I get 17.5 mpg. Way too much fun and good mileage. If I would buy a Ford or Dodge I would have to buy the manual tranny. Just dont trust their trannys with all that torque.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the Ford TorqShift tranny if a great tranny, and handles the power, easily. It's the older ford tranny that has issues.

8. holy diver

holy diver OT Supporter

9. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Toyota won :o

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

6.5TD from Peninsular diesel.

Then you can stick it in a C/K and not have to deal with new Ford shitty trucks or GM's ugliness.
    The Duramax/Allison combo is nice, but the rest of the truck looks like they pieced it together from the leftovers of a Pontiac parts bin.

You know, like they do for all their vehicles.

12. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Out of curiosity, what will be your primary use for the truck? 5th wheel? Heavy loads?

13. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Stop bitching over in the Chevy post and reply...

14. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Good question. My friend just bought a new 05 Chevy deisel. I asked him why didn't he just save himself 10k (new truck was 36k after 10k in rebates) and buy the gas version....He didn't have an answer. He doesn't tow, he doesn't haul....WTF was the point?

The Chevy is nice and relativly quiet, and the allison is nice, but the new fords are better looking (IMO) and faster. I agree diesel is the way to go, but I wish they came in smaller trucks.

15. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Get the Ford.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well I'll say I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie. (non-dually)
    Picked it up at auction recently with ~23k quad cab (3/4) short bed
    fully loaded
    5.9 H/O cummins
    4x4
    6 speed heavy duty manual

and I love the thing, drives nice, clutch doesn't bother me at all, plus I aviod the whole old ones drop transmission and newer ones burn torque converters.

My girl has a 2004 Chevy 2500HD LT Duramax auto 4x4 quad cab long bed

its a completely differnt beast, quieter engine, bumps act a hell of a lot differently, different suspention feels, mine feels more "car-like" or at least sprots car like, when I shift from one to the other going to her truck feels disconnected, while going to mine feels like everything is slightly over sensative. I guess its like the feel of a lexus and a sports car. As for fords every thing I have heard and experianced about them (which is more hear than experiance) is that the trucks feel even bigger than they are, and they are the largest of all three I believe. But fords also seem to be kicking around alot longer than the other two brands.

Personally out of the two you are looking at I would probably go the the chevy/gmc