~$3,000 to spend on laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by z284pwr, Apr 2, 2008.

1. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Yes I know I'm crazy considering spending that much for a laptop, BUT I'm always on the go, so a desktop ISN'T an option, Laptop only, SO, I have ~$3,000 or so I want to spend....

I currently have an HP9500 thats pretty loaded, I'm wifey said she would pay what I have left on it and use it for school since I could use a new one....

No its not a gaming laptop. I do LOTS of graphics/layout design. I will usually have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver all open at the same all all day long so it needs to be able to handle that really well....

The 2 I'm considering right now are the 17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz High-Res LCD screen etc.

Or the 20" HP HDX "True HD" screen, 2.5Ghz, 512MB card, Blu-ray, etc.

Both spec to right around $3,000

I like the Mac because its light has a back-lit keyboard and of course its built really well and runs Vista really well.

I like the HP because its obviously 20".

I don't care about screen size, obviously, or weight really.

These are the only 2 I've really speced out, I haven't looked any other places yet.

I can get an Employee discount through Dell or HP or a Student Discount through whoever offers it.

Any ideas/thoughts from any of the OT computer experts? :wavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're "always on the go" then you don't want a big notebook. I'd say get a 15.4" notebook. If you insist on making a decision that you want to regret, then get the macbook with the 17" screen.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

what are the actual screen resolutions of the 2 machines? do you get any more screen real estate by going with 20" screen, or is it the same resolution just blown up?

Also, the HP has Blu-Ray, which even though it probably cant write Blu-ray's at least it can read them, which will be nice because blu-ray's are the future.

and everything Ive said is without any specific knowledge of either machine, Im just basing my judgments off what you posted

also here is the link to the apple student designer discount (or whatever its called), which is probably the best you will get. It beats our "school" discount by at least $100 on the low end stuff and more as you get higher up
    http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

4. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

I already carry around the 17" 9500 everyday packing it up and unpacking it atleast 3-4 times a day, I'm not a complainer about the size like most.

5. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

check out www.cyberpowerpc.com
    / bear in mind gaming computers and high demand media computers have a lots of the same demands on the system.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've got a better idea. Spend $2000 on a good desktop machine, and $1000 on a passable laptop. Why? Because the laptop is obsolete the moment you take it out of the box; it's already slower than comparable desktop hardware, and there is nothing you can do to upgrade it as time goes on.

If you need portability, fine, buy a portable computer, but don't piss away money on it. Make the big investment in hardware you can keep up-to-date instead.

7. deusexaethera

Well, this thread got dropped like it was hot.

8. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

macbook pro

best thing i've bought in a long time

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

sums it up pretty well.

blowing tons of $ on a laptop is nuts unless you just don't care about the money

10. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

I don't really want to come off as a dick but did you get the part of a desktop ISN'T an option. I totally understand where you are coming from and yes in most people's case that is definitely the way to go.....

I do "on-site" type work that REQUIRES the power though. I don't think a 1Ghz Celeron with 512mb PC-3200 ram is going to handle anywhere close to what I have to do...

I would love to build a desktop that would make it look retard but it just isn't an option for me at this point in time.

The other issue is monitor....I design thing that require pretty acurate color....so obviously a pretty decent monitor is needed....

I check out the MacShack and with the "Student Developer" discount I can get the MacBook Pro for ~$2,400 or so. So a $2,000 plus a $400 monitor or a 17" MacBook upgraded to the 1920x1200 screen I can have Full HD and pretty beefy system with GDDR3 512MB video. It won't be "obsolete" for some time. I'm not that big of a hardware nerd.

11. deusexaethera

Okay, well...this on-site work that you do...does it all get done on-site, or do you take the computer home at the end of the week and process the data at home? If so, then your money is better spent on a laptop that's good enough to collect data, and a desktop that's good enough to process it.

12. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

That can be said for any computer or piece of electronic equipment.

13. deusexaethera

Laptops are especially bad, though, because the standard is rising constantly, and there is no way to upgrade them.

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

if your going to run a bunch of adobe suite stuff, get the mac book pro. you will be happy. you could buy that hp or dell, but you'll most likely wish you had a macbook

15. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

sounds to me like he does some type of graphic design on site to make sure things fit. :dunno: I don't think that much work can get done off site, if it could then he most likely would have already thought of that.

Plus rendering and saving large files on a semi-good laptop is not fun and many times can frustrate you.

16. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Classic case of not listening to what a customer wants. He specifically said a desktop isn't an option, but you try to tell him otherwise. You may have valid points, but like I said, classic case of not listening to what a customer wants.

17. deusexaethera

It's not a classic case of not listening to what the customer wants. I haven't given the customer anything, except something to think about. I'm making sure the customer has considered everything that I think is relevant to his scenario. That's what consultants do. If, afterwards, he still wants a laptop, I'll sell him one.

In any event, the bit you quoted was an aside comment to someone other than the OP, so it's irrelevant anyway.

18. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

in his original post he stated that a desktop is not an option.

People started giving him ideas on why a desktop might be advantageous, and it seemed as if that was a moot point. Why? The OP stated that he needed a laptop and showed knowledge that a desktop would not work for his application.

If you rephrase your questions to why can't you use a desktop (which you did), then that might be a suitable question for a 'consultant.' Try this approach before recommending things that arn't even an option (that's how you lose a sale). You went the other route trying to sound like you had the best answer for his situation, when he had already lost interest before your mouth opened.

The OP also stated that he was running all aspects of CS3, and needed the computer to handle those programs. This might not be done as effectively with a $1,000 laptop as it would if he put another $2k in the mix.

Get all the facts before your start to recommend things. Or else your words are worthless to him.

Just my thoughts. Continue to provide entertainment throughout the OT threads.

19. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

It is when making a sale. I'll leave it at that. Just something I remembered in one Sales management.

20. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mogul: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Sprint:pPC6800)

you guys are giving him a hard time. . .he has a really good point about wasting money on laptop instead of bulding a desktop for half the price and being able to upgrade. . and I do understand the reason and yes I would love to do that

for clarification though. . .I do the folowing items of work
    I am a website administrator for a newspapers circulation promotion website. . .on site I handle the website stuff along with large full page graphic advertising with InDesign I generally designing company logos for press quality print so 200-300dpi

on top of that I also design men's neckties and women's matching scarves. . these I do 5x16" 200dpi several layered designs and 12x60" scarves. . .I also design the catalogs and website

the tie's are designed 50% home and 50% on site but the on site computers are the ghetto one I explained earlier

All this I feel fully justifies the the 17" laptop and with the steep discount on a mac I can handle spending 2500 on one.

to bad the Imac isn't more portable haha! carry around a 24" loaded IMac! . . yeah the would cause some interesting looks! haha

21. deusexaethera

pops, 1999TL: I guess it's a good thing that I'm not acting in a professional capacity when posting on this forum, then, isn't it?

22. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

that's some interesting work you do z284.

Deus, no problem. The forum is for general insight and recommendations by others. You definitely bring new ideas to the mix and I have appreciated some of them. It's just fun to see how things can go awry over the computer due to the lack of communication and tone.

Have fun, keep posting.

23. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The only thing I would add to this, is to get a notebook that has space for two drives, so you can run a backup drive in there.

24. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, he's ok sometimes.

:mamoru:

25. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah...I don't have the time to argue like him and Potroast do.