2x8", 1x10" or 2x10" facing each other?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by radhaz, Nov 18, 2006.

1. radhaz

radhaz New Member

Hello all, I apologize for the "noobitity" of the question but car audio simply isn't my forte. I'm about to undertake a stereo install in my vehicle and after doing a lot of research I have only managed to thoroughly confuse myself.

To make a long story short, this is my daily driven car and my goal for the audio system is too have a "filled out" sound. I bought the car used and it came with a custom stereo system that is fairly "dated" with a custom 8" sub box in the trunk that was apt to slide about under spirited driving. I've fastened the box down but it really needs to go as it simply takes up too much trunk space.

The options I have with the space I'm willing to sacrifice are:

1. Two eight's firing from the trunk into the rear seats of the coupe, in a sealed enclosure with optimized volume.
    2. One 10" mounted in a sealed portion of the car's exterior (approxamite volume is .75cu) behind an interior panel in the rear of the cars cabin.
    3. Two 10" mounted in the sealed portion's of the cabin facing pretty much exactly 180 degrees out from each other.

I'm not looking for a bass heavy system just a full range with the lows. My musical taste spans a fairly broad spectrum (Industrial, Metal, House, DBM, Punk & more) leaning towards a lot of "electronic" music where the bass hits low & often. The goal of my sub(s) is to add to the sound not drown it out so I believe the 8" will be more than sufficient in adding the low's of my music; however, I would like to hear the opinions of some other more experience people. I fear that option 3 would result in the sub's "cancelling" each other out hence why it's the option I am least likely to partake in.

So if anyone could enlighten me with opinions or even better share some links with pertinent information so that I could educate myself I would be greatly appreciative.

Respectfully,
    RadHaz

[​IMG]
    Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

any config will work, but "fire" them toward the trunk, not yourself.

3. shopey1080

shopey1080 New Member

wat he said

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

a pair of 10s would pretty much be optimal for you. the question for you is do i go sealed or ported? you'll get better response on the lows with a ported box tuned lower (~32-35 Hz) but a sealed box is going to be more accurate and "punchy" for the most part.