2nd Switch?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

In my office I'm running a single 24 port ethernet switch. I'll probably need to upgrade to 48 available ports in the the near future. Suggestions? Just buy another 24 and run them side by side? save up the budget for a more expensive single 48 port switch? What do I lose in speed/security by using more than one switch? Any tips or tricks on how to get this going with the least amount of glitches?
    Thanks!

2. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Go with two 24 port switches. You won't lose anything but will gain redundancy incase one switch dies. Instead of the whole office going down, only half will until you replace it.

3. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Usually switches of that size or larger will have a slot for a crossover cable so you can stack the switches.

It's like the TV+VCR argument. The more complex the machine, the more expensive it is to repair or replace. I'd rather have 4 x 24 than 1 x 96, unless there begins to be degradation in service.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

This is a common misconception on how switches and hubs work. A 48 port switch is always superior to 2x24 port switches unless it's expanded properly so that they do act as one switch. That's not to say you can't make it work if they can't be expanded with some proper thinking of priority, but don't be fooled into thinking you won't lose performance. You can for example put all of your printers, WAN and low use servers on one switch and all of your bandwidth intensive servers and users on another.

5. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

What is a common misconception? That redundancy is good in a business environment? Or that more parts = more opportunity for failure? Granted, more ethernet ports doesn't really affect the switching fabric, but it's also a larger single expense in case of replacement -- and budget certainly sounded like a concern based on the OP.

There's no design standard that requires 48-port switches to have to have a higher capacity backplane or larger packet buffers per port than a 24-port switch. Not all switches are created equal, and buying a cheap 48-port switch can be worse than buying a decent 24-port switch.

A lot depends on current and expected usage, as well as the specs of the current switch.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

You're wrong.

Why?

Because lets say you don't manage the traffic like I said. Lets say you run all of your servers on one switch, and all of workstations on the other. Now lets say you have a handful of sql servers, file servers and the like. Where's all that traffic getting congested? In that single leg between the two switches. You've essentially turned the 2nd switch into a hub.

7. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

You obviously didn't even read my post. Design decisions depend upon his current needs, which just aren't available from the information that was posted.

I would make different decisions based on the current setup and projected usage, along with budget. You obviously are not as flexible.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

My initial response wasn't directed towards you. Specifically "You won't lose anything but will gain redundancy". It's not true - you do lose something. And since that point wasn't acknowledged, I had to repeat it.