SRS 2nd day quiting smoking...can't stop munching.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by inferno8ball, Mar 1, 2005.

1. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

for some reason, i did not have a smoke all day on monday, so i decide that im going to just quit all together. today though ive noticed that i cannot stop munching on chips or pretzels and what not. one reason i liked to smoke was because it suppressed my appetite as i am some what over weight. i want to stop smoking, but eating all the time is going to start to bother me. can anyone suggest a either a good appetite suppresant or some sort of support to see this through to the end?

2. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

I didn't make it....sigh*

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I wouldn't suggest taking appetite supressants, try lifting weights or running. Then you can eat pretty much when you want, and not worry about gaining weight. Try finding a sport you like. If you really need a support group, try googling "Nicotine Anonymous (insert your city here)," you may be able to find it, they one where I live.

4. inferno8ball

one big thing about smoking is that i believe it to be the reason i have not gained alot of weight in the past few years. its gonna be hard because im not only fighting the urge to smoke, but the urge to eat as well.

oh wells, only one way to find out if i have the constitution to do so.

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Exercise is a much healther way to control weight gain than smoking

6. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

I feel your pain, Ive been smoke free for 3 weeks and 2 days. I have been eattin more :( But I am also goin to the gym more often in order to combate the additional food. Try to munch of healthy foods, drink LOTS of water, eat high protein to fill you up. Hang in there, its a rough ride, but doable. I didnt think Id make it this far, but so far so good. Check out quitnet.org, site is very helpful

7. Luciano

Luciano Guest

sunflower seeds

8. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

Chewing gum.

9. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Friends have had luck with chewing things, gum, straws, etc. Luckily I neve got in to it. Start drinking a good bit of water, and exercising. You'll feel a LOT better. I'm always glad thats one addiction I've not had to overcome.

10. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Day three is going to be very hard. If you absolutely, positively must smoke, which you still shouldn't, try cigars. It's like simulating cigarette smoking since you're not sposed to breathe in cigar smoke. The only risk you're taking is mouth cancer.

- chew gum
    - eat if you're skinny
    - run if you're not (play with your new lungs)

<--- still smokes occasionally but doesn't miss the daily routine and the shortness of breath

11. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

Don't break down now. The nicotine levels in your blood will drop below "critical mass" after about 72 hours. Your blood sugar is going wacko right now, but it will settle down soon. It's actually keeping you more sane to snack frequently for these first few days.

:kiss: Keep up the good work, you're getting there!

(I am 10 days short of 6 months smoke free - cold turkey. I personally felt that the articles at www.whyquit.com helped me get through the process. I did not gain any weight, BTW.)

12. inferno8ball

i did not make it to day three technically. i had a smoke that same night i made that post. i felt like such a loser. today starts day three since my last smoke. i have been drinking ALOT of water. as in i go thought a h20GO bottle in like less then 30 mins. i also have been destracted because of having to study for my final. the real test will be the 3 hour drive home for spring break.

these are great suggestions. im glad i posted on this board.

13. :smile:

:smile: New Member

try chewing on something..keeping your hands busy will or keeping your mind on something else will keep your mind off smoking...good luck with it ;]

14. Tornado6

I'm glad you got up the nerve to try again after your little slip! WAY TO GO! :bigthumb:

Just remember every time you smoke, you are going to prolong your misery.

It really does get better, I promise :wiggle:

15. Luciano

Luciano Guest

i learned how to do the "quarter thing" where you roll a quarter over your knuckles and back.......its pretty cool, useless but cool. im happier doing that than smoking.

16. inferno8ball

i made it the three hour trip home pretty good. was thinking about it the whole way, but since there was no need to stop, and i didnt have any in the car with me, i was able to refrain. now i face the hardest of all, hanging out with my good friends that smoke and going to the bar on wensday. but i think i should be good. i just have to refrain from drinking alot.

right now im chewing my nails alot, which is no biggie, and cracking my knuckles. i asjusted my diet a bit as well. im eating smaller meals, and having 4 or 5 meals as opposed to two big ones. this is cutting down on the cravings to eat.

17. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

Back off them again. Day 1 again. Quit for almost a year before. Then a good friend of mine died...
    Good luck everyone.

18. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I'm gonna get off on a rant here....
    I quit drinking and now I smoke like a chimney. I tried everyting to relax after I quit drinking and drugs, but it is just impossible. Buddhism, Meditation, Excercise, Kava Kava, etc etc. And the worse place in the world to go if you want to quit something is a 12 step meeting, those people smoke and drink coffee like maniacs and all they talk about is the very same things you are trying to avoid. I was much happier when I did whatever I wanted to whenever I wanted to. I didn't obsess about it 1/10th as much as I do now. I thought quitting all these negative things would make me happier, not worse.
    I think the key to life and drugs is not to get to guilty about it. Concentrate on other areas of you life. Continue to do things you do sober that make you healthier or happier whether or not you smoke or drink again, etc. Most people sort of mature out of addictions (except, perhaps smoking) as their lives become more demanding and they assume more responsibilities.
    One thing I find, is that now that I don't get wasted anymore, smoking seems ridiculous. They are sort of a party favor, and if you don't party it's kind of pointless.

19. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Tell that to all the people with multiple years clean in NA, AA, and CA who enjoy their lives now. As far as smoking cigarettes is concerned, there are more people that smoke at meetings, but it is possible to stay inside away from the smokers.

20. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Sounds like you're looking for an addictive substitute.

Some do, because they did prior to 12-step meetings. Drinking coffee and smoking cigs can be done while being sober. The psychoactive effect is nil, and rarely to people even question this. Only the technical people looking for hypocracy are quick to identify "smoking" as a drug.

So you quit drinking and you aren't supposed to talk about quitting drinking? Thats the idea behind a support group. You don't pretend it doesn't exist...

Addicts/alcoholics are the type who don't grow out of it. Addicts/alcoholics are the type who can't do anything while under the active control of their addiction. You're preaching: "just moderate and feel good about it". This is impossible for an addict or an alcoholic to do on self-will. That's what makes them addicts or alcoholics.

Honestly, this is not the forum to debate 12-step programs. If its not for you, maybe you're not an addict or an alcoholic. If you are, you're either closed minded or in denial.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  21. inferno8ball

well i have made it the weekend of hanging out with the friends i smoke the most with. so far i have just done the no thanks thing when they go out to smoke. i dont want to tell them im quiting because i dont want them to "jump on the bandwagon". i want to be able to say this was my "thing". one thing i have found out though, is that along with the constant munching, i have a much shorter temper. i dont really care though, cause who the fuck cares who i piss off. but im doing good. i think once i hit a month i should be able to be clean for life. or so i hope.

btw thanks everyone for the input and support. i know i want to do this now.

22. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:bigthumb: good job man. both eligh and I are available on AIM or through PM if you want to talk about it one-on-one

23. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

24. Tornado6

Temper tantrums / short fuses are normal too. You were self medicating with nicotine, and now your body doesn't know exactly how to respond without it. It seemed to me that my body was going out of its way to make me feel angry, hoping that it would kick me into reaching for a smoke to calm down. It does get better, but you're going to feel like an ass for a while. It's really a good thing, because it means you're progressing.

Remember, a physical craving only lasts three minuted :bigthumb: