GUN 25 handguns missing from Sheriff's evidence room

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

25 handguns missing from sheriff's department
    April 20, 2007

MACHIAS - The state attorney general is sending an investigator to the Washington County Sheriff's Department, which says about 25 handguns are missing from its evidence room.
    Sheriff Donnie Smith, who notified county commissioners last week, said two guns in the evidence room can be traced to one person, but he didn't elaborate. Also, $450 in cash is missing from the department's administrative office, he said.
    An investigator from the attorney general's office is expected to be in Machias in two weeks to look into the thefts. The sheriff said that if the investigation reveals that someone in his department was involved, the person will be fired.
    The department discovered the loss after a lawyer sent a letter to Smith, saying his client wanted his weapon back. When officials looked for it, it was missing. That's when the investigation turned up other missing weapons.
    Guns are placed in the evidence room for a variety of reasons. Some are taken from crime scenes or seized from individuals.
    Seized guns are returned to owners at their request if they not charged with an offense, or if they are found not guilty of an offense.
    Smith said he has instituted stricter standards for handling evidence. The only people in the department with keys are the sheriff, chief deputy and full-time deputies.

2. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

guns are only returned to someone that's not charged or found not guilty at their request? :ugh:

4. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Well, if you are charged with a felony....:hsugh:

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

the "at their request" part was what i was referring to, not the "not charged or not found guilty"

if they're not charged or not found guilty, the guns should be returned without any action or request of the person.

6. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

When has the government ever catered to us? Its the damn lazy ass desk jockeys.

7. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

:rofl: I read about that the other day. Machias is only an hour away from my hometown