240SX = Good track car?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ahead, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ahead

ahead New Member

hey, i know they make good drift cars (since everyone seems to use them for that), but do they make good road race cars?

2. hayguyz

hayguyz New Member

no, but they make great off-roading cars

3. red97gst

red97gst New Member

they are good road race cars

not as good as some other japanese RWD cars though...

4. StopDrop&LOL

StopDrop&LOL "Where The Elite Become Champions"

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

what are you guys talking about, they make excellent track cars.
    visit you local SCCA event next time you'll see

6. StolenDreamz

StolenDreamz OT Supporter

240sx are good for track, but dependin how much you wanna drop into one. they are good with a stock engine though. the ka engine can handle a high boost but need upgraded internals but the sr20 is also a beefy engine...but it all goes back to, how much are you willing to spend?

7. ahead

ahead New Member

im just kicking the idea around right now, im going to be selling my car and wanna pick something up that i can do autocross with and start doing trackdays. I wanna get a Evo, but i like RWD and want to get more experience with a rwd car.

either way both will do but the 240 will be cheaper but will require much more work. id want it to look nice so id have to paint it and slap on a S14 front end, and i wouldnt mind the motor swap. im not too greedy with the power 300-350 will be more than enough for me for now. but with the evo id just pick it up at a high price and toss in some nice suspention and im pretty much good to go.

oh yea and this car would also be my daily driver

8. StolenDreamz

StolenDreamz OT Supporter

well if your willin to drop the money for a evo id say get an evo...its better for drifting since it has superb handling for it but if you dont wanna drop too much in it. get a 240 get a sr20 done then of course intake and exhaust. dropping it a bit would give it more looks and just repaint and the s14 front would be nice and your done. its gonna look good. as long as you have it dropped and good paintjob your gonna be fine for a daily driver. rwd cars are more fun to drive when it comes to drifting and the evo would be alot better for a track car since awd will launch mad faster but all up to how much you really wanna drop. with 26-29k your puttin in for a evo you can do alot with a 240, just remember that part

9. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

for a "track car"...a assume you mean auto-x and an occasional open track day on a road course....I would reccomend the EVO..enough power and grip right out of the box...it's very driver friendly at high speeds,and it will understeer at the limit until you get good enough at driving to make it do otherwise...the 240 is a pretty good handling car..pretty quick steering...with stiff suspension they can get pretty nasty (crazy oversteer) which is fun, just not the fastest way around a track..the stock motor is kinda loafy and uninspiring, but a simple SR20 swap totally changes the character of the car..if you do get one I would reccomend an S13 (89-94)...i consider them more of a sports car than the heavier, more luxurios 95-98 s14's...

10. 0.6gpa

0.6gpa New Member

awd=better for drifting?

news to me.

i love 240's ive been looking for one for the right price for about 2 years.

and if your looking to get 350 hp out of an sr20 in a 2900 pounds car (estimate) it's going to be crazy fast, but reliability might be a bit lacking.

id say for a DD track car, go with a evo.

11. originalM

originalM Correctamundo.

for your local auto-x I'd say the stock KA24 would be more than sufficient, however it may be a little on the slow and anemic side on a track day. As far as the handling, well they do tend to be a little ass happy, but with the right mods you can correct that problem, and they make pretty decent little cars. I would not say that an Evo is even in the same ball park, because you can get 240s all day long for sub 3K, and with sub 2k in mods you'll have yourself a pretty decent little car, and even if you decide to go SR, or even for the CA18 (not trying to start an SR vs CA debate here, they both have their strong points) but anyway... that's my .02.

12. Kash

Kash me > *

I would go Mazda miata if you just want a track car. I bet you could get one of those with lower miles than the 240sx for cheaper b/c the drifters arn't buying them up. They are nice and light and rwd and there are plenty of mods for them to.

13. originalM

originalM Correctamundo.

Miata ftw for a track car. So much potential. IBhaters.

14. red97gst

red97gst New Member

miata or rx7 FTW

ja