COMIC 2405FPW and anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Soren, May 3, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I just got this monitor and I'm running it on all default settings with VGA input. When I watched anime on my old CRT, the color reproduction was great. However, on this LCD I get some color blocking where sections of video are all the same color causing noticable viewing problems. Is this how a normal LCD should behave or did I get a bad LCD? Maybe it's my VGA input? I have a piece of shit Geforce 4 MX 440 video card. Could that be the reason?

2. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

get a new video card :hsd:

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I have an AGP motherboard so my choices are limited :hs:

BTW, I found my video card in its box all wrapped up by the garbage dumpster just tell you how much of a piece of shit it is :mamoru:

4. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

6600GT is good for it's price. I'd recommend it if you don't want anything too high performance but that can still run everything well.

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I don't even play games anymore. Especially not now that I have my 2405FPW at 1920x1200 resolution. The most video intensive thing I do is browse PDF files and watch movies. :mamoru: Is there anything that is cheaper that can do what I need?

edit: Looks like all the cheaper cards use DVI-D while the higher-end ones use DVI-I. I guess that reflects the video processing capabilities of the cards? Cheapest 6600GT I can find is $150 :hs: Canada sucks.

6. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

7. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

price in Canada is like 2x as much :hs: cheapest I can find is $155

and I can afford it, but it's just that I never play games and I don't want to overpay on a vid card that just plays movies and pdf files

8. Sekuhara

Sekuhara FIGHT THE POWER

Well if you can find a 6600 for cheaper that sounds like the optimal card for you

9. tun

tun Active Member

I had this problem when I got my 2001FP. I bought a used 6600GT off a friend on another forum. That's probably your best route.

10. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Ah. That's a relief. I'll probably be buying a 6600GT then. Thanks, Hellmonkey and TUN.

11. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

hmm apparently it might not be the vid card that's the problem but rather the MPEG compression that the anime used. I just DLed KAA's Planetes DVD-RIP and I'm not noticing any color blocking under any circumstances. Same with an OGM version of Escaflowne.

I guess the LCD is a double-edged sword giving me great quality when it's there but also revealing the shitty quality of an anime that I hadn't noticed on a CRT.