SRS 23 year old just picking up smoking?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Marmot, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Marmot

Marmot Guest

Not sure if this is the right forum :o

One of my friends just picked up smoking at the ripe old age of 23. I always though most people started as easrly teens "to rebel" by doing something everyother rebelious person does. I don't think that is the reason here.

At first she started just when drinking, which then moved on to only when hanging out with her friends (all except me smoke). Now she almost downs a pack a day. A lot of these people (all great people, btw) she just started hanging out with. Maybe it's a social thing?

I don't look down on smokers like a lot of non-smokers do. I just can't understand why anyone would start, much less at an age a little older than most.

Any ideas?

2. Marmot

Marmot Guest

Oh, she also says she'll quit by fall, but it's only getting worse.

3. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Well it IS known as one of the more addicting habits out there. Don't think smoking is just something you pickup when young.. stress.. social.. anything could lead to smoking.

4. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Right. A pack a day. And shes just gonna stop cold turkey. Riiight. I'm not sayin its impossible, as I know ppl who HAVE done it, but it takes a strong mind.

5. Marmot

Marmot Guest

It's pretty obvious she doesn't mean it. It sounds like she is convincing herself more than me.
    I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is, but I've heard it's very difficult to get off of.
    Stress and social changes sound like plausible reasons though.

6. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Don't understand it myself.

7. ItchyDog

ItchyDog Guest

Yeah I started when I was 22, wish I never did it :(

8. OldSchoolSupra

OldSchoolSupra What's the retail on one of those?

I just started a few months ago at 19... only like 2 or 3 smokes a day, usually at night. Because of stress, i fucking hate my life...

but not enough to destroy it by smoking weed or drinking constantly... so i guess cigarettes are kinda like a middle ground for me.

stupid way to look at it i guess....

9. ItchyDog

ItchyDog Guest

Ohh dont ya worry, soon stress will creep up on ya and you will be up in smoke. ;)
    In all honesty quit if you can, that shit is nasty, and the more you smoke the hearder it is to quit :wtc:

10. johan

johan Active Member

What else is happening in her life? Any major things / changes / shifts happening in her life right now?

Smoking not begun as a mechanism of "fitting in" to a particular peer group, for example, as teens often do, is usually a means of coping.

So...what else is happening in her life?

Oh the "i'll quit by fall" thing...doubtful. But you already knew that.

11. The Mighty Megatron

The Mighty Megatron Secondborn of the best drummer known to man

Go rent a movie called "Riding In Cars With Boys". It's a good movie. Watch it to the scene where the heroin addict starts having withdrawals. 1/4 that, and you have nicotine withdrawals. It doesn't really seem like much to anyone, really, but when you're the one it's happening to, it's hell. Causes lack of sleep, shaking, headaches, paranoia, and sometimes even vomiting. You're right, she's trying to convince herself more than others. Just try to make sure she's got you there for moral support while she's rattling like she's got Parkin's disease. Best of luck to her and you mang.

12. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

give her shit about it.

i can smoke like every day and not get addicted. but then i bought a pack cause i was gonna be drinking. i did feel a little addiction and i felt sick cause i didnt have a smoke. then i quit again.

don't understand why people smoke. then again i smoke weed to get high, and always have, so smoking looks like cancerous candy to me

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

All you people are off to the road of recovery in the other sub-forum here. Quit smoking, and look down on smokers, after all a smoker is a murderer not intentionally tho but if someone else gets cancer as a result of your smoking then thats a horrorible nightmare. And i think its worse then beer because, you can choose to take or leave, but your always stuck in someone elses smoke, and that's just horrible. I would like all smokers to quit smoking, and let everyone enjoy the liberty of breathing clean air, which is a gift nowadays after all. Quit smoking, financially your situation will improve, and healthwhise your life will flourish.

14. The Mighty Megatron

The Mighty Megatron Secondborn of the best drummer known to man

Like I said: cut it to 1/4 the intensity. Sure, most cases it's not that severe, but my aunt had quit for about 6 days and pretty much went rabid. First she started projetile vomiting (like she'd swallowed some Ipecac), then after about 10 minutes of dry heaving, she went into convulsions. We had to call an ambulance. I know most people won't experience anything close to that, but it's always best to expect the worst, no one can really tell how dependant on something someone is until the shit starts to hit the fan.:hs:

15. DArK-aNGeL

DArK-aNGeL Guest

If she's thinking abiout quiting colt turkey it wont happen, i've been smoking nearly a year and i cant get past 3 days, its hell.

16. asshole

asshole dont eat yellow snow! OT Supporter

yeah tell them to stop! I smoked for YEEEAAARS! ITs soo much better now that i dont smoke!

17. vietboi812

vietboi812 New Member

I've smoked since i was in 6th grade thats when i had my first cigs with my buddies. I have friends that dont smoke and it is true. If you dont smoke you wont understand why us smokers smoke. Mostly its for social purposes in the begining, then it leads to an addiction or a "way out". For coping with stress is one of the biggest reasons. Quitting smoking is hard but you can do it. It's just smokers usually fall back on cigarettes as like their cushion. Its hard to break a habit that you have been doing for so long in your lifetime. Imagine waking up and lets say you took a shower in the morning everyday since you were younger. Tell me can you wake up and not take a shower? You'll feel dirty and grimey. Thats like smoking kind of, because when wake up you gotta smoke a cig at least once during the day . Yea dont start, because in my opinion smoking is a gateway drug because it just leads to everything else.

18. Uncle Roger

Uncle Roger New Member

I started smoking at 14. Thirteen years later I'm still smoking. I've tried to evaluate why I smoke, because I actually enjoy very few cigarettes - particularly those after a good dinner, or the three with a double whisky at a bar. The rest of the cigarettes that I smoke I do so out of addiction to nicotine. Suddenly you find it becomes a crutch: When you're stressed, you want a cigarette; When you're emotional, you want a cigarette; When you're happy, you want a cigarette.

Twenty three is an interesting age to start smoking. You're right in that most people seem to start young to rebel and "be cool." There is a social aspect to smoking as well, which psychologically ties in with the "be cool" aspect I just mentioned.

I've read, and heard, that the younger you are when you start the harder it is to quit. I'm sure thats because of the addictive properties of nicotine, the hand-to-mouth habit itself, as well as the mental and psychological dependence. Basically, the longer you do something, the more it becomes a routine and therefore the harder it is to quit.

I don't believe its a "gateway drug" as vietboi812 has suggested, at least not universally so. I've never done any illegal drug in my life. I actually drank my fist beer years before I started smoking. Perhaps if someone starts smoking at 9 years of age they'll be more apt to try illicit drugs, though.

The only positive thing that I can say about your friend starting at 23 is that her lungs are at least fully developed, whereas someone who starts as a child has a higher risk of damage.

My advice, if you want to help her quit, is contact the American Lung Association (or your national/local equivilent, if you're not American) and ask them to send you information on smoking cessation. Maybe seeing a tar laden lung, or cancer-peppered lung, will help her realize its not worth it.

A few cigarettes at a bar with friends is probably fine, but a pack a day is a lot.

19. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

it usually starts with social smoking -- someone in the peer group or group of friends is lighting up...and that person decides to pick it up..in your friend's situation it sounds like she is just doing it in order to fit in ...typical. it also happens out of curisty and before you know it, someone has stained teeth and smells bad. People are succeptable to peer pressure and self medication at any age...:/

20. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

I've been smoking for almost 8 years now and I've been desperately trying to quit but I have no will power. Forget all those pamphlet crap and information packages, that shit never worked for me. You need someone who is trying to quit or who has quit to talk to her. The biggest reason for me to quit smoking isn't the smelly clothes or ashtray breath, it isn't even the death, it's the fact that I could've prevented it all. You can't make her quit if she doesn't want to, you have to get through to her when she decides enough is enough.

21. London Loves

London Loves New Member

I don't wish to sound like an arse, but i've been smoking since i was 18 and 5 years on i still love it. Your friend will make her own decisions and, depending upon your relationship, it is your decision whether to stick by her lifestyle or not.

22. pawis

pawis werd em up

I'm 19, was cleaning out the garage the other day and found a box of cigarettes. This is a house that tons of college kids have been through and theres just tons of boxes of random shit people left behind. I smoked the whole box..... stupid me. It's been on my mind, but I just gotta keep control, and not buy anymore until the cravings go away.

23. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

I started smoking when I was 20 to stupidly replace something else. I quit cold turkey 2 months ago because a panic attack scared the shit out of me. Cold turkey can be done, it's just that for some of us, it takes a huge leap or change in thinking. Oddly enough I have yet to experience any craving whatsoever :dunno:. More than anything I just think of myself as a non-smoker I guess.

I'll repspect other people's right and desire to smoke, as I've been there...but be damned if I ever pick up another cigarette again.

24. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

I dont understand how people find it so hard to quit smoking. I would smoke a pack a day one night and then none at all for the next few days with no cravings. Maybe I'm wierd

25. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

That is how smoking works. It is a snow ball effect. I smoked from when i was 18, up until I was 22. I then quit until the middle of last year (26), when I started up again... :(