GUN .22lr Rifle for target shooting, Savage bolt action or 10/22tt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P-chan, Mar 24, 2010.

1. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I really want a .22lr rifle for punching paper and I'd like to be able to shoot out to 100yd. This rifle will mainly be for me and soon enough, my 8 year old daughter to shoot. I plan on getting a bipod to make it easier for us to shoot together.

The Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 looks like a good optic for this purpose, but I'm torn between a Savage (or other brand if you have suggestions) bolt action, and a 10/22 target tactical.

I like the 10/22 because it comes with the bull barrel and trigger job already, but it's also expensive at around $430ish without the optic.

The Savage bolt action rifles are cheap as hell! :eek3: I didn't realize how cheap until just before I made this thread. I can get into a Savage .22lr bolt for less than $200 without the optic, that's a hell of a savings. :o

Anyway, recommendations?

2. 3x

3x New Member

Get a stock 10/22, upgrade as you see fit and get better at shooting with it.

3. ANUS_MANGLER

ANUS_MANGLER New Member

4. haga41

haga41 OT Supporter

I just bought my 10 year old son his first gun. I got him a ruger 10/22 carbine for about $300 after all taxes. Same type of gun i learned how to shoot on too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/index.html

I wanted to get him a marlin 981t just because it's a tube feed and is exempt from the CA 10 round law. But i ended up getting the ruger instead.

5. nox

nox I'm actually ok looking... so chill.

A castle nestled in a valley next to a waterfall
    i got a savage bolt with scope for 170. love it.

6. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the cost savings is pretty large. Plus a friend of mine just bought a 10/22 TT and I'd rather have a different gun since when we go shooting, we pretty much all go together, so I can shoot his whenever :o

7. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

I've been thinking of picking up a bolt .22 just for shits n giggles

8. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Me too. ruger 77/22 and CZ-452 are high on the list of options.

ETA: I already own a 10/22 ... I just want a bolt action .22 for the hell of it. 10/22 barrel is currently in the shop getting cut/threaded for a suppressor, and the bolt .22 would get the same treatment :bigthumb:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Who's doing your cut/threading and how much is is running you?

10. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Savage MKII-BTVS 22LR

11. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

:ugh::rofl:

12. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Dave Whitson, a local Dallas guy. He's a Class 07 manufacturer that builds suppressors. He only builds .30 caliber suppressors though so he's ordering and transferring an SWR Spectre for me. It will go on my 10/22, Ruger 22/45 MkII, and AR15 running a CMMG conversion kit.

$150 for the cut/thread of my 10/22 barrel including the thread protector.

Eventually he'll be doing my Rem700 barrel when I'm ready to buy a 7.62 suppressor from him. Starting out with .22 and then probably a trident9 next... then the big can :naughty:

13. P-chan

P-chan New Member

FUCK! $150 :( At least you're getting a thread protector with that which is pretty necessary.

14. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I didn't think it was that bad. Most places online are $60-70 to thread, an additional $20 to cut it down first, and a thread protector is going to run $30-40. And that's for some place that I have to pay to ship it and get it back. This guy is a few miles away ... practically on my way to work.

At Tornado it's $65 for threading, $15 for cut/crown, and $35 for a matching thread protector (I don't want a knurled one ... the smooth 'hidden' ones look so much better). So that's $115 + shipping

http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html
    http://www.aquilafirearms.com/OtherServices/BarrelThreading.htm

15. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Why didn't you just buy a Tac-Sol threaded barrel and replace it yourself? The barrel is light as fuck and more accurate than you'll ever be.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52813/pid=26803/sku/Threaded_Fluted_Barrel__Matte

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For the money that they charge.... I'd much rather have a Kid. The Tac-Sol's are so light that they balance out very few stocks, and I haven't found them to shoot any better than the factory stuff (though I did hear they re-did their chamber recently).

17. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Even with discount, it's $209 + shipping. I've tried to find them used as well (every time Phrozen says he has 10/22 shit for sale, I PM him and bug him about what he has :mamoru: ). But like Phrozen said, they may actually be 'too light'. I suppose with a suppressor on the end it would be alright.

I'm happy with my existing barrel, just wanted it cut down to about 17" and threaded. Since I didn't notice a bunch of <$150 16-17" threaded bull barrels floating around, I decided to have mine cut. GunKings has E.R.Shaw 16.5" threaded barrels for $110 but they are never in stock. Kidd barrels are just under $200 and would still need to be threaded. Most Green Mountain 18" threaded barrels are around $170.

Currently my Butler Creek barrel shoots well under an inch at 50yds so as long as I don't lose any accuracy getting it cut, I'll be fine. Worst case, it was a learning experience and I'll go a different route next time. I'm sure Phrozen can relate :wavey:

18. SNDP

SNDP New Member

10/22T FTW.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Pheonix.... what kind of stock are you running, and what parts do you need?

I might have a couple things, though I know I'm short on tubes. You check HI-Desert-Dog? They sell a lot of pre-threaded 10/22 tubes. Also, Kid was blowing his steel tubes out for like $150.... I guess that's no longer the case?

RFC can sometimes turn up magic, but you have to do a lot of hunting.

20. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I'm looking for a new stock as well. I really like the B&C target/varmint and will probably get one of those... just need to actually order it. Currently I have the Butler Creek synthetic. It's stiffer than the Hogue OM and actually works well, but it just looks cheap. The reason for changing the stock is partially ergonomics but mostly aesthetics ;)

I had looked at hi-desert-dog, but hadn't heard much about them and again I was looking at spending $140 + shipping for one of their threaded 16" barrels so I'm at the same cost of just having my barrel cut/threaded. I couldn't find any Kid barrels that were threaded (unless they were threaded by a 3rd party and had the associated cost) so I would then be in the same boat I'm in now and taking a barrel to the smith to have it threaded. Granted it would be a better barrel, but my costs just went up dramatically.

All my internals are done (to my satisfaction) and I have a good performing rifle.... The only reason I'm changing it is because the barrel is long and heavy. With a suppressor on there it wouldn't be good for anything besides sitting at a bench. It just seems logical to have it cut down and threaded since it's about the same cost (or less) than buying a new threaded barrel.