GUN .22lr Conversion!!!!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chakup, Mar 5, 2008.

1. chakup

chakup Guest

OK I am calling Spikes tomorrow to get some final details worked out- but I need to know how many I should be ordering. I don't yet know pricing- they will be selling for basically the same price everywhere- and the margins aren't much. The best I can say though is help out a fellow OT'er!! They already have dealers on a list but I will find out tomorrow how long my wait will be.

2. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Not to be mean, but what are you talking about? .22 conversion for what?? Prices? Details?

3. el capitan

el capitan New Member

details are overwhelming my crappy laptop

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Any rough idea what price range we might be talking? I talked to spikes and they said close to the ciener kit but probably a bit more and that was about as specific as it got. Think the OT price might wind up being about the same as the discounted price on a ciener from brownells + $20 or something like that :)

5. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

AR upper.

6. chakup

chakup Guest

Sorry I thought you guys would know- Spike's is releasing their own .22 conversion for the AR.

I don't know any details on pricing yet. I'll know more for sure tomorrow. Just wanted to get everyone a heads up who was asking about conversions in the GB thread.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i thought they already had .22lr dedicated uppers? or is this just a conversion?

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Conversion kit, essentially an improved ciener kit, which wouldn't take much more than being made by anyone else by all reports :big grin:

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I need to build my AR faster so I can get on .22 kit :o

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool:

the only thing is, i'm wary about getting a .22lr conversion kit for AR15's in CA. the reasoning is: SB23 (assault weapon ban) is specifically for center fire rifles. if i have a conversion kit that effectively makes the rifle rimfire, I can have a detachable magazine, pistol grip, etc. however, as soon as the conversion kit comes out and a standard BCG goes back in, BAM go directly to jail do not pass go do not collect any jailbait.

i suppose you could have a "dedicated" .22 rifle with the conversion kit, but i dont want to be the test case :sad2:

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why not just leave the bullet button in for the .22LR mags?

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

because if it a rimfire rifle (i.e. AR15 + .22 conversion) SB23 doesnt apply. you can have a pistol grip and detachable magazine.

if i were considering doing it, i would probably get a dedicated upper. wouldnt have to worry about fouling a gas tube as well :dunno: :hs:

13. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Link to their website?

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think he's saying, you might not have to follow dumb rules like using the bullet button with a .22, but if its not a huge inconvenience, which I'm led to believe the BB isn't for most plinking, why not just put up with the small hassle for that plinking session even if you're not legally obligated to.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

On that note, who has gotten their hands on the BDM mags anyway? They sound pretty good but also like they have a different construction than the pmags we've all come to love. How likely are they to break banging around in a range bag?

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:dunno: if i was gonna get a .22 conversion kit i wouldnt follow SB23 - because i dont have to.

its just a real gray area in CA laws because if you take the .22 conversion out its not a rimfire rifle anymore :dunno:

fucking laws :wtc:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i've read nothing but good things about them :dunno:

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

To each his own, for me sometimes its easier to just roll with things. :) If I'm driving through several states that have relaxed gun laws and one thats strict I just leave everything locked up per FOPA guidelines for the entire trip. I could get out and unlock cases or move guns before and after I go through the crappy states but the hassle doesn't seem worth the payoff :big grin:

I've read mostly good things, and it seems like if someone has a problem they get taken care of, but I've read a few reports of breaking too. For the price I'd like to see a more durable material even at the cost of losing transparency. I'm sure its nitpicking for what they are and options previously available though :big grin:

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well if it helps plan I think my upper cut off limit for the spikes kit would probably be somewhere around $130-140 without a mag, $150-160 with. If they wind up running much more than that I think I'd wait a bit and see how they work, if larue makes one, how model 1's turns out working, etc.

21. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

about 4k through 3 BDM mags, both gen1 and gen2. no problems. Same with Ceiner kit.

BDM mags are the heat.

22. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

INteresting.

23. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

I've always wondered -- how much wear/tear will be placed on an upper with a conversion kit if you practice heavy with it? 1k rnds a month or so?

24. Fireball

Fireball OT Supporter

So, is this conversion kit just a bolt? Are there any barrels more cut for a .22 rather than the .223?

What about mags... are there any mags of similar size to a standard AR mag, besides that one company who makes one?

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter