GUN .22lr Bolt Gun questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Ok, since my m14 is prolly about 9-10 months out, i'm going to go after my second item on my list... a .22 target bolt action.

I know, 10/22, yes it's nice, but i'm looking for a bolt.

My first inclination was to go w/ a legitimate target rifle, but am finding that as of the recent past, good .22 target rifles are hard to come by. Remington has effectively done away w/ the 40x, Kimber has stopped production, as has Sako, Baikal, Marlin, Walther, etc. As a result, my choices of new production falls to:

CZ
    Savage
    Anschutz
    Izhmash

the Anschutz is unfortunately out of the price range, I'm looking at 700 max

I really like the idea of a CM-2 by Izhmash, but they're difficult to get ahold of, the Savage and CZ would require a new stock, but that's doable.

Suggestions?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

weatherby makes a .22LR bolt gun for less than 700 :dunno:

3. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

Marlin quite making target rifles? hmm

4. johnson

johnson New Member

I would check rimfirecentral.com. Every brand has it's followers and I chose to go with CZ. They were really good values and would reccomend them all day before the price hike and now i'd say their competitive. I have a 452 Lux with iron sights and it's a tack driver as long as I can see the target clearly and ive seen some awesome groupings done with a stock 452 American with a scope.

CMP has surplus target rifles also.

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Browning T-BOLT

6. reman

reman New Member

And its an Anschutz

7. SNDP

SNDP New Member

The savage mark II with accutrigger for the fucking win.

[​IMG]

8. BLH

BLH Member

If you want a precision .22 rifle, out of that list Anschutz is the only way to go. If you look around you should be able to find a used one in your price range, I would think that you could find a model 54 (possibly a 1903 if you want something newer...) that someone has since upgraded from and wants to get rid of...

Are you looking at getting into precision rifle, or are you just looking for an accurate gun?

For a real target rifle, look on the classifieds part of targettalk.com for one to pop up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

10. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I don't know, part of me wants to compete with it, but I also know that I have neither the time, nor the ability to actually go through with it. I'm looking for an absurdly accurate rifle in which to practice with mainly to save $ on ammo while honing my skills, practical shooting and target.

:eek3: 4k sako, yeah, I wish

I've contemplated the 10/22 option, but have a real hard time dropping $200 then gutting it to the reciever and little else.

CZ interests me, I own a p-01 and love how it shoots and handles, but not having the ability to swap the stocks easily bothers me because its somewhat painful for me to shoot w. a stock that has so little palm swell or a nearly horizontal grip angle. I broke my wrist playing rugby a spring or two ago and it doesn't bend as well as i'd like, as a result, the standard stock on a lot of rifles makes it rather uncomfortable.

I was looking at the savage direction and looking at this stock for about $200

[​IMG]

The Savage Mark I/II with the peep sights look like a great idea, but I dont know how simple they would be to remove and add a scope if I wanted.

The CM-2 is the route I really wanted to take, but know that availability is rough and it's not tapped for scope bases, so I would need to have it tapped/threaded if I were to scope it

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  11. BLH

BLH Member

If you want to start competing, the Anschutz is the only way to go out of that list. It is the only real target gun that you have listed. If you are going to start competiting in precision rifle, you also have to look into the cost of a set of leathers too. You don't need pants to start out, just a decent jacket will do you to start learning. No need to pay the 100+$ for shoes either, cheapo skateboard shoes wok fine for starters, will also need a glove, stand, and spotting scope as some of the main things.

You not having the ability is complete bull shit. Anyone can learn to shoot at the Olympic level, all it takes is motivation, desire, and time.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For 700 (not including glass) I'd be looking for a used annie. Check out the sako quads and the cz's as well.

Some guys over on snipers hide are doing crazy things with the sakos.

13. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Motivation and desire isn't an issue, I know what it takes as far as that is concerned, the problem is time, I'm a full time student, living on campus, and work 3/4 time on top of it, training on the whole is sporadic and weather permitting. at this time, despite my wishes, it just aint happening

The Sako looks wonderful, but the 800 dollar price tag, not to mention the price of upgrades, isn't in the budget

I'm thinking this, the CZ, or the CM-2, i dunno, at this point i'm just confused as to what I want, I was hoping for a definitive answer but this only raised more issues/concerns/questions

14. BLH

BLH Member

I say go for the full on target setup and slowly work toward getting into training for shooting ISSF matches. Does your school by chance have a rifle team you could join, or any precision rifle clubs around you? If you have a little extra money you can always train indoor using a SCATT if you can afford one, I've seen them used for around 600$

I can fully understand the time/school/range deal though, first year in college I was trying for all-american in pistol and a spot on the national team, second year they closed my range down. Haven't competed to much for a couple years now, and would dearly love to get back in it. Needless to say a 50m range to play with Free Pistol isn't the easiest to find.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The sako quads can be had for 500 new a little while ago. That would leave you almost enough money for a lilja tube, or a manners stock if so inclined.... Just saying.

Do you have an adversion to buying used?

16. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I live on campus, so it's rather difficult for me to do anything here, and the only range that I knew of, that wasn't outdoors (Western PA) closed down last year.

I'm seeing them online for roughly $750-$780, no, i'm not against buying used but most of the places near me charge 75 bucks for a transfer which adds about 100 to the total after taxes. That and I'm a bit wary of purchasing used due to me not having seen the rifle prior to purchase, who knows how well it was maintained