GUN .223 rifle choice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by socket, Feb 25, 2006.

1. socket

socket Kids at the track, stay off crack. Blood, sweat,

Su16 charlie or mini 14? I was leaning torwards the su16 because I am sure in a couple of years I won't be able to get something with a folding stock / threaded barrel in Illinois. What do you think?

2. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SU16, as the former owner of a mini14 they suck, if you want a folding stock and flash hider, consider a 223 AK then too, SAR3's can be found cheap if you hunt around, and AK is more accurate then the mini, mag's are cheaper. I bought a mini new the accuracy was horrible, high cap mags were expensive (this was durring the AWB so I'm sure there's cheap mags out there now BUT at the time I had mine only Ruger mags worked reliably and Ruger will not make new high cap mag's for them) ban or no ban I doubt the price of the ruger mags has changed since they wont makem again, they were like $75+ when I had mine, I'm sure you can get cheap promag's now for it but there promags :ugh: might feed might not.

In short get the SU16 or a 5.56 AK varient if you dont want to spend the cash for an AR.

4. socket

socket Kids at the track, stay off crack. Blood, sweat,

I heard the mini 14 had horrible accuracy. I looked into the sar's but it never clicked as the 5.56 being close to the .223. What would be the equivalant, 5.54x45? Also didn't sar3's have poor internals w/magazine issues?

I don't have cash for an ar.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SAR1 is the standard ak47 type 7.62, SAR2 is ak74 type, 5.45, and the SAR3 is 223 or 5.56, their are a few others who make 223/5.56 ak's but there a bit more pricey, the SAR's the internal trigger's are hit or miss with the possibility of trigger slap, I have an SAR1, SAR2, and WASR2 none of which had trigger slap when I got them, if you do get one with it, its a $35-75 fix depending on who's trigger parts you want to replace the originals with, with the SAR3 I believe you can use AK74 mag's that have been mod'd or there are steel 223 specific mag's that run about $20(more then other AK mag's but still cheaper then mini mags)