GUN .223 rem 69 GR smk oal question... Help needed quickly

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Nov 19, 2009.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

So I am sitting here with my cases charged but don't know where to seat the bullets to. My manual says min oal for most is 2.24-2.25 with the avg being 2.25. The IMR site says the coal should be 2.235. I'm thinking I should seat them to 2.25?

2. minus

Sierra says 2.26 that is what I will use. 6mmbr had a scan of the sierra page :big grin:.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Need load data also?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

either is fine I'm sure. If your working up a hot load I would start with longer oal

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

6. minus

I used IMR's data. The oal seemed a little short.

7. minus

TY :).

8. The advantage of running .223 in a bolt gun is that you're not limited by AR magazine length restrictions. You're free to seat the bullet as long as you want (unless you have a really short throat.) Some bullet/rifle combinations shoot best when the bullet is barely touching the lands, some shoot best when the bullet has to jump a little before it touches the lands, and some shoot best with the bullet really jammed into the lands. That is something that you will have to experiment with to see how your particular combination works. Keep in mind that changing seating depths and seating the bullet so it's touching the lands will change your chamber pressures, so always be sure to start on the low side when you're playing around, and make sure to watch for signs of excessive pressure. In my 700 I'm running my 75gr A-Max at more than 2.5" OAL. (you likely won't be that long, but I'm just using it as an example where the OAL is way outside what most .223 OALs are.)

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Kiss lands and rock on.

I never even look at the OAL stuff in reloading manuals......

10. minus

How do I check to see if its touching the lands?

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Break out your black magic marker. Seat bullet long, and mark. Now look for markings.

Alternatively using a fired hull you can sometimes seat a bullet, chamber, then carefully pull it out and get a pretty good reading on where you stand.

12. I use the magic marker trick. In my experience, you have to resize at least the neck, or you run the risk of there not being enough tension, and if you end up jamming the bullet into the lands, when you extract the case it will come out with the bullet still in the barrel. Not a big deal to fix (just carefully push it out with a cleaning rod) but you'll have to increase the neck tension if you want the bullet to come back out with the case.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Often times you are correct. I have seen the fired case have enough constriction to let that method work more than once however. Magic marker trick is how I roll, myself.