GUN .22 CB cap and backyard shooting...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HisXLNC, Jul 25, 2008.

1. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I've got a few gun noob questions:

1. I've heard that .22 CB is the quietest rimfire ammunition you can buy. Comparable to a loud air rifle. There aren't many houses around me. Just one next door that's occupied by a couple of cool old guys. Will I be able to squeeze off a few shots in my backyard without being noticed? If it's any help, I live in the sticks where gunshots are a fairly common occurrence.

2. Is my backstop suitable? I usually use it with air rifles. It's about 8 inches of old catalogs and magazines backed with an inch of particle board and an inch of sheet rock. It's dimensions are 3'x4' and it will be shot from about 10yds away.

3. Will .22 CB be able to cycle the action in a Mossberg 702 or will it jam?

4. Where I live, it is misdemeanor when one, "discharges any pistol, rifle, shotgun, airgun or other weapon, or throws any other missile in any public place, or in any place where there is any person to be endangered thereby..." So IBJailTime?

Please don't make fun of me. I'm new to the firearms thing. :hsd:

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

1. ?
    2. 3'x4' seems a little small for a .22 projectile, even at 10 yards. You can probably land 99 out of 100 shots within that backstop, but what about that 1 that doesn't hit it?
    3. ?
    4. If you live in city limits you won't want to be shooting anything. If you live out of city limits and you have a proper backstop and you neighbors don't mind the noise, you should be fine. Just let your neighbors know what you're up to.

3. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

1. Aguila makes something called the Super Colibri. It's quieter than my bb gun.

2. the round goes ~450 fps out of a rifle, so I dunno, but do the homework I guess.

3. the super colibri will not cycle an action. it's primer only.

4. i dunno man just dont get caught

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

1. The CB shorts are incredibly quite, especially out of a longer tube. My RWS is louder without a doubt. I have used it for suburban pest control and no one was any wiser.

2. With a CB short, I can penetrate a board fence from 30yds or so without fail. Your backstop SOUNDS like it would work, but it's hard to say for sure without testing it first.

3. No idea on a 702. A general rule.... boltguns - yes, autoloaders - no.

4. Well, you are already breaking the law by firing your air rifle it sounds like, so I guess a 22 wouldn't matter much. I don't advocate that, and I think you would be better off going to a range. Firearm laws aren't to be fucked with, and you are taking a huge liability risk there.

Honestly, if you are only shooting 10yds, I would just rather have a nice air rifle and work on positional shooting. You aren't gaining anything by going to a 22, and a nice air rifle would be MORE than accurate enough at that range (probably moreso than a cheap 22). My father bought me a RWS when I was younger, and it gets used all the time. I've killed all kinds of shit with it, and in the winter months use it inside in the basement for practice. It's a versatile tool, and a great trainer IMO (driving an air rifle ain't easy).

5. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

It's starting to look like I might just make that 20 minute trip to the range if I want to shoot live ammunition. It doesn't sound like it's worth the risk trying to do it in the backyard.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

meh

it's really just like shooting a high powered air rifle.

7. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Move to an unincorporated part of time. I can sit in my back yard and shoot whatever the hell I please whenever I want.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Pretty much, you'd do well to look up the penalties before you let the term "misdemeanor" make you think you'd just get a slap on the wrist.

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Yeah. The rest of it reads, "Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section."

Not exactly PMITA prison, but not something I want on my otherwise spotless record.

10. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Not to mention having a firearm-related misdemeanor on your record won't help any future gun purchases get processed.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats likely just an additional gun related punishment, you'll probably find another set of things you'll get slapped with for a crime of whatever degree misdemeanor that would be. Plus thats assuming you don't get charged with other things on top of the discharge charge.

I'm going to guess you're in oklahoma so these might also apply at a quick glance:
    §21-1289.11. - Reckless conduct
    §29-5-204. - Hunting or discharge of firearm near public place

Lets look at Title 21, which covers the other punishments for misdemeanors prior to the discharge crime:

12. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

If anyone is curious, subsonics don't cycle the action half the time. Jammed about 5 out of 8 shots and they fit in the magazine horribly. That's probably why they jammed.