SRS 21st Birthday Approaching - Worried about alcoholic relapse

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Metal, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Metal

Metal Active Member

As some of you may know, I'm a recovering alcoholic. Today is my 90th day sober and I feel great living without alcohol, I used to live from bottle to bottle. However, my 21st birthday is coming up and I'm worried about a relapse.. In the back of my mind my alcoholism is gnawing away at me telling me to drink again once I turn 21. Not that it will change anything, but it will be the first time that I will be able to legally buy alcohol.. I used to have everyone buy for me and now that it is going to be so easy to get a hold of alcohol scares me. I've relapsed before and I recognize this as one of those pre-relapse thinking states, which is not good and I'm trying to get out of it but I don't know how..

AA meetings have always been great for me but I haven't been able to make it to my local group lately and I probably won't be able to be at meetings on my birthday.. I'd like to be at meetings but I'm currently on "medical house arrest" because I'm recovering from an infection that I was in the hospital with for the past few months; so basically the doctors don't want me leaving the house for quite some time..

I'm pretty much just venting but if anyone has been through relapses or has had to deal with the type of thing that is coming up for me (a 21st birthday being sober, and the new ability to buy alcohol whenever I want). :noes:

EDIT- Can any Moderators move this to R2R?? Sorry, Maybe this should be in Road to Recovery instead because of the subject matter?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

I used to drink a lot (at 21/22), but at some point in there my priorities just changed, and I RARELY have a craving for alcohol. I think there's just a point where your brain says "I don't need this anymore", and if you're already recovering, I think you're stepping in the right direction.

Think of it like this...Since people used to always get the alcohol for you, just think of how boring it is that you can just get it whenever you want. That doesn't sound fun or exciting at all, right? ;)

3. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I imagine the best thing you could do is figure out why you're doping youself up to begin with, and focus on dealing with that. Alcoholism is an illness in itself, of course, but it can be (and often is) induced just by force of habit. So...why do you start drinking, when you start drinking? Are you bored? Pissed off? Lonely? Thirsty? What's the reason? Try to fix that and the craving will subside.

It could just be that the very fact that you're not allowed to drink yet is why you do. I know so many people (including myself) who have said that drinking just wasn't much fun once they were allowed to do it. And frankly, if that isn't a perfect argument for abolishing the drinking age, nothing is. Not that the moral majority would care...but that's a different topic.

5. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

The thing about alcoholism is that it is as much a psychological addiction as it is physical. So, what I've seen to be the most effective solution is to build up a psychological block against drinking. Form negative associations with drinking, such as disgust or shame, and it'll help you. I'm assuming, of course, that the physical aspect of it is not so consuming that you'll need a "fix" or you'll think you're gonna die. But, since you've managed to go 90 days without a drop, I don't think the physical portion is as extreme yet.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll get through this :hug:

6. deusexaethera

mmm...I dunno. Shaming yourself into sobriety may be an effective solution, but it won't help his self-esteem to be ashamed of a desire he has. If at all possible, it would be better to meet his need some other way. Nobody does anything for no good reason; there has to be a reason he drinks or dopes til he passes out (or whatever the circumstances are), even if that reason is a chronic imbalance in brain chemistry, so that reason needs to be addressed in a more productive way.

Try biking; I always feel very calm and peaceful after a good ride -- to the point of wandering around my neighborhood staring up at the clouds -- much more so than after a traditional workout. The pure aerobic nature of biking does wonders for the brain chemistry. It feels tingly.

7. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

I didn't mean shame at what he's done in the past. I mean that he should be proud of his body and himself as a whole, and should not think that he ever needs to turn to the bottle to make himself feel better.

And yes, I agree that finding some form of outdoor recreation/exercise is a great thing to do. My friend's mother was an alcoholic, and she said that whenever she felt the urge to drink, she would just hop in the car and head to the gym. She's been alcohol-free for almost 5 years now :)

8. deusexaethera

Mkay, I guess we're saying the same thing after all. I just think that shame is a very bad way to solve any problem, no matter what kind of problem it is or how the shame is used.

9. Metal

Metal Active Member

:wtf: I have to take medication so that my leg doesnt freaking kill me and I dont have a fucking heart attack... what does that have to do with abstaining from alcohol?

I've been sober 90 days and all that matters is I know that I havent had a drink, not you trolling through my other posts trying to prove me wrong, asshole.

10. Metal

Metal Active Member

Thanks for your input guys, it's really helpful.. Thanks for letting me vent too.. I got a little discouraged because Colonel Panic thinks I haven't been sober :rofl:

How would he know that I haven't been sober? Someone on a message bored says I haven't lived my life 90 days without a drink? I THINK NOT.

Today is 90 days without a drink, no Internet asshole is going to prove me wrong.

11. deusexaethera

That's the spirit. :bigthumb:

12. Metal

Metal Active Member

:naughty:

13. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

14. kackel champion

kackel champion faces always are changing lies and disguise for th

in for ban troll

15. F.O.D.