A&P 20D it is....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by huligan, Dec 4, 2004.

1. huligan

huligan weed pro

This is a followup to my last thread asking about the 1D Mark][. Thanks loads to viperx27 and ittech for their previous advice. I have in fact decided on the Canon 20D as an upgrade over the 1D Mark][.

I have a 100mm Macro Lens and I am getting the 20D kit that comes with the new EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens which looks to be fairly wide. I shoot alot of macro photography so thats why the 100mm macro......

Not really sure what other lens to get though. I want at least one more lens, and I cannot decide on which to get. I would like something that will be decent for all around shooting conditions (something I can call my favorite shooting lens that doesnt leave the body that often). I have been looking over at photosig to see examples of shots taken with various lenses, and I just don't know.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. sony

sony Active Member

You should consider two of the lenses on the Canon rebate which ends on January 31st, 2005. There is no rebate on the 20D, but it does indeed count as a rebate item on Canon's rebate so if you buy two lenses with the 20D, you end up getting a smoking deal on two lenses. (note: you have to send in the info for the 20d and stuff too).

3. mojito

mojito New Member

The 50mm F/1.4, 85mm F/1.8 and 135mm F/2 are all great lenses. The 135mm might be a little long for you on a 1.6x body, but all 3 qualify as far of the reabte and are lenses that are just incredible.

Also check out the reviews at www.fredmiranda.com and you can even look at sample pictures over at http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon and go to the bottom

I haven't heard the greatest things about the 17-85, so you might look into the 17-40, its a little more but an incredible lens.

4. dmora

dmora Guest

Maybe he could get just the body and save the difference towards a better all around lens.

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

I'm gonna say 17-40mm f/4L.

:dunno:

remember you can always get the Canon close up lens adapter (which attaches like a filter) for any of your lenses to use as a macro lens substitute.

Also check out the 85mm f/1.8 USM as mentioned earlier

17-40mm f/4 + 50mm f/1.4 + 85mm f/1.8 is a good kit

6. widebaudi

widebaudi New Member

agree on the 85 1.8

7. huligan

huligan weed pro

Ended up getting the 17-40 and 50mm 1.8. I will rent lenses and figure out what to get next. I have a feeling the 17-40 will be a favorite for me from the examples I've seen online.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

8. huligan

huligan weed pro

Thought I should mention......I ordered the body/lenses and everything from B & H Photo. Also that I can't wait for UPS on Thurs/Friday. Going to be a long week till then....

:noes: :wiggle: :noes:

9. huligan

huligan weed pro

What did you grab?

10. mojito

mojito New Member

ordering online from out of state > tax

you'd need the lens anyways, and what are these "Goodies" and what kind of warranty?

11. huligan

huligan weed pro

I don't have any experience with Nikon cameras, but I have seen some nice shots come from the D70 on photogsig.

Does anyone have any personal experience or heard/read feedback about Sandisk Extreme compact flash cards? I have used the Sandisk Ultra compact flash cards in the past with great results and reliability so I figured that the Extreme cards would be just as good if better/not faster.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

the Extreme are now quite as fast, but close, but are more resilant to temp changes, shock etc

13. Easton

Easton New Member

I think the Extreme's are meant to be faster than the Ultra II's. At least this was on a 1Ds Mark II CF speed test. The Extreme's topped the lot and the Ultra II came second, with the Lexar 80x third.

I thought the Extreme's were just good for being resistant to weather and shock, didn't know it was the king of speed as well until I read about it.

14. 01mustang

01mustang Kiss teh kitty!

The ultimate resource for CF speed tests. Again, it really depends on your camera:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

For my 20D, I picked up the 1GB Sandisk Ultra II because the speed difference between the card and the Sandisk Extreme III is negligible, but the price difference is fairly significant.

15. huligan

huligan weed pro

Very interesting indeed.....

Are there any good websites/forums that deal with lower cost DIY home studio setups? I would like to do some reading and get some ideas for some basic lighting setups.

My shipment should be here on Thursday.......I will take pics of it and post them here.

16. mojito

mojito New Member

www.fredmiranda.com

alien bees are a great set up to start with, or if you prefer hotlights, just a set of smith victors and some type of difusion, but you still need backdrops, background and hair lights,

17. sony

sony Active Member

I agree with viperx27. Me and a friend share an ab800 and 2 ab400s and they make for pretty decent strobe lights. :) Not the most powerful, but definitely affordable and well built.

18. huligan

huligan weed pro

So the 20D came today!! I will start an "I love the UPS man" thread in main after band practice tonight. I have only had about 20 minutes to shoot with it. I started with a few minutes of 17-40mm and then moved on to 50mm. I already know my way around the camera in that short amount of time, so moving from the D60 to the 20D is not difficult at all. Can't wait to get some real time under my belt with this thing.....

Here is the only shot I'm willing to share from my quickie test shot rampage with the 50mm f/1.8 ][ this afternoon.....

[​IMG]

Could be alot worse considering the really low lighting circumstances, and lack of camera/flash experience.​

19. huligan

huligan weed pro

Needed to test the macro lens....

[​IMG]

This was taken under a desklamp light. Did basic levels and unsharp mask to sharpen the image a bit.