2010: less fat/more swole v.my new year, my new me!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sieg, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieg

Sieg ★★Major League Door Kicker★★

I am starting the year off right, or at least in my mind I am! I have decided that being a fatass is no longer an option in my life. Quick little bit about me:

I am 22, 6'3", 315lbs. I have a piss poor record with maintaining a schedule at the gym.

Started this mindset of getting in shape. On the first and I have been to the gym every day since, today is my first day off. For me, I feel like this is a drastic change in my lifestyle.

I just have a few questions, maybe someone could lend me a hand or point me in the right direction.

1. I have already switched gyms because the one I was going to had a bunch of 16 yr olds who find it funny that there is a fat guy there working out. 3 days in a row of harassment, off to a 24hr fitness that is always empty. Is stuff like this common in most gyms or did I just run into a bad experience.

2. With someone of my size, who has no experience with any form of workout, would it be best for me to get a trainer? Also, I was given a nutrition plan by a body builder and it was his nutrition plan. Is something as strict and time based okay for someone of my size And lack of physical fitness to jump into?

3. I am using the "want to look like a bodybuilder" workout routine, but again, is this the kind of workout I should be doing when looking for fat and weightloss?

4. I was working out with a friend, but he is a professional hockey player and was pushing me towards weights that I could barely lift and almost no cardio. He was saying, building muscle is the best way to burn fat. I somewhat don't believe him, but hell, he IS in much better shape than me.

Sorry if there are a ton of typos, I wrote this on my iPod.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

answers to questions:

1. you're a pussy and let 16yr olds bother you

2. find someone to teach you the movements like the bb'er who gave you the meal plan. his meal plan is probably fine but you will probably need to adjust calories down the road to keep losing weight. can't be certain until you post it.

3. yea it's fine

4. do both at this point. weights and cardio. weightlifting does burn more calories than cardio in the long term though...

3. Sieg

Workout where you work, not such a good idea. I don't care if I do seem like a pussy, but going to work and being harassed with shit like "Nice lifts lard ass" and "Why don't you go hit that treadmill, I could use a good laugh." Gets a bit obnoxious.

and again, I am going into this blindly. I have never had a workout routine or anything.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

get an ipod/mp3 player niggah and ignore the fools.

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

as far as what to do just follow the routine and diet in the "look like a bodybuilder" sticky. however I would cut the volume back for the first month. for example when it says do 4 sets drop it down to 3. yadda yadda yadda...

you will drop fat like whoa.

6. IronImp

IronImp Member

Going from no workout routine to anything will be good for you. Even if you just walked around the park at lunch it will a step in the right direction. Just get used to being at the gym and going on a regular basis. Before you know it, it will become habit. Also, in my opinion, your diet is going to determine how much weight you lose and how fast. The workouts alone aren't going to shed the pounds. Focus on eating clean, healthy, whole foods that aren't processed.

Good luck and stay with it. I think one of the best things you can do is make your goals public knowledge and update your supporters regularly on how you're doing. It's a hell of a lot easier to let yourself down than the people you care about.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Sieg

Thanks, I started a blog for it, and everyone at work has been the food nazi on me. I work as a cook and someone saw me about to take a break and eat some gummi bears and took them away from me :wtc: Frustrating.

8. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

call me you sexy beast you....is there a 24 hour in Noville?

9. Sieg

2 miles up the road, the is SNAP 24 hour fitness

10. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

can you make it to the boro one weekend?

11. Sieg

I work every weekend

12. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

Kid's are cruel but pay them no mind. use it as motivation if anything and show them results. chances some day they'll mature and realize that they were pieces of shit and feel awful about it unless they're some little punk ass hoodrats, in which case they'll probably continue with that mentality until they get shanked in prison. you win either way.

13. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

If it bothers you enough, and you are able to switch, then go to a different gym. Yes, you are sort of a pussy for doing it, but better you switch and lift than stay and quit.

Track what you eat with DailyBurn.com. Yes, even those 5 gummy bears (That you eat 5 times a day).

14. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

read through this thread http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4211894

it will give you plenty of motivation to keep you going. i believe he even talks about some of the shit he dealt with as far as the ridicule while working out. (or that could have been another one I read. it was a while ago.)

either way, good read to help with motivation.

15. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

times? negro plz.

16. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

this...i hardly even make eye contact with anyone. its me, the weights and the mirror :mamoru:

17. Daria

Daria New Member

To the TS, just make sure you put as much emphasis on your diet as you do on your exercise, because:

a) You could actually end up gaining weight even if you go to the gym regularly if you're not eating properly.

b) A really good diet can help you with energy, stamina, and strength gains when you do exercise.

Figure out your calorie needs and stick to that number. Writing down what you eat is a very effective way of making sure you're aware of how much you eat and how many calories you end up eating every day.

If you have not already, read the following Sticky:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2920566

18. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

good luck bro. i wish you best! :) You can do it! :)

19. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

i was like you. i was fat and one day, i didnt want to be fat anymoar. what i did was found someone to help me get acclimated to the gym. i also cleaned up my diet. no more full sugar sodas. lots of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and veggies.

when i go to the gym, i do super sets (i think thats what they are called). i lift weights, but i do NOT take a rest in between sets! i hit the bench press, then some lat pull downs, then squats, etc. i just keep going, but work out a different muscle group. i dont think it would work nearly as well if i went from bench press to pec fly to some other pec workout.

the thing about super sets is that they actually are cardio (aerobic) workouts as well as weight training (anerobic).

so then after im done with each circuit, i jump on the eliptical for some moar cardio. im only on for about 5 min between circuits but i keep my heart rate up around 170-180, then i get back into another circuit. i do 2-3 circuits and then im finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.