2008 Mazda RX8..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by EBK, Jun 15, 2008.

1. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

i have no Idea about what I'm getting intobut my dad has taken an interest and i will probably end up buying him one.

just looking For as much info. (mpg, speeds, reliability, etc.) as I can from you guys, thanks

2. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

From what I understand, they burn engines up quickly. The problem is that Mazda requires you to use 5w-20 oil in order to meet EPA regulations (or something to that extent). If you use anything but 5w-20, they can void your warranty. Like I said, its for the EPA regulations. Many people run 5w-30 (IIRC) and they have had no issues. So pretty much the problem is that the oil Mazda uses is too thin, and it cooks the engines.

Also, they get pretty low mpg (my friend gets around 18mpg or so). Thats as much as I know, I'm not an expert on the car so research that issue some more but I'm just throwing that out there.

3. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

^never had that problem, been using 5w-20 since 06, anyways remember to redline a day (prevents carbon lock), drive it like how its meant to be driven and you should be fine.

Mine has been pretty reliable to me, nothing major, only thing is my coolant level sensor malfunctioning, probably gonna get it replaced under warranty

In a straight line it cant beat anything, and the only way to add power is through a turbo, theres alot of options now, but all ranging in around 6000 for the kit

Beware of 17mpg average driving though. Most fun I've had in 4 wheels, corners like its on rails.

4. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I used to have one. Miss that car, can't wait for the new 16X renesis to come out.

5. Captain Amazing

Oh, as for your questions...

I got about 220 miles out of the 60l tank. Car & Driver got a 1/4 mile of 14.5s but that is pretty hard to duplicate with your everyday driver. As for reliability, I never had a problem with mine.

6. somebody5788

somebody5788 New Member

The old rotary engines "can" go bad frequently when not properly tuned or poorly taken care of but I heard that mazda actually increased the warrenty time period on all RX-8's which imo tells me it is lasting much better then before. I dont think you should let the rotary engine be a reason to not get it. I love my rotary even though it isnt the most powerful engine out there.

7. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

aren't the new ones a lot more powerful than the 05-06 ones?

8. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

For 08 Mazda did away with the 4-port in the automatics, so now even the auto's are the 6-port 238 or whatever HP it is. Power isnt up any though on the stick shift cars.

Mazda upped the warranty to 10 years on the motor. I wouldnt say thats because they have faith in the motor, more like there have been problems so this is what they did to stand behind their product so people would still buy them. I love rotaries and all (93 rx7, 74 REPU, 76 RE5) but the renesis is not doing anything to improve the average consumers bad opinion of rotary engines.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The biggest problem with most RX's is the driver. They don't understand that it's supposed to burn oil, that it's supposed to redline all the damn time, and that it's really bad for the engine to try to muscle it along in a higher gear when it really wants to be in a lower gear. You can put the thing in 1st at 50mph and not damage anything, but if you drive it full-throttle in 5th when it wants to be in 3rd, it'll die an early death. It's the quintessential Japanese engine -- all RPM, no torque. Drive it accordingly and you'll be fine.

10. red97gst

red97gst New Member

mad props on buying your dad a car...2 of my buddies did that at 24; must feel good

11. mattyp747

mattyp747 New Member

oh gosh - to those that say they are unreliable - well they are just plain fucking wrong - i have owned mine for 4 years and its the most reliable car i have ever had.

news on the rx8 new look: http://www.brapnews.com has an article and pics on it, nice looking i might upgrade..

12. deusexaethera

Any engine that you can deglaze by spraying a garden hose into the intake is fine by me. :big grin:

13. oZone

oZone let's go to sleep in paris and wake up in tokyo

details on this? :rofl: never heard that.

14. EBK

i forgot to say thanks for the information. haha but
    i came really close to buying him the RX8 but then he opted for a 'traditional' 4dr sport sedan. we looked into the IS350 but he said it was "too much" for him.. meaning too many buttons and shit, i think

so we stumbled onto a used car lot selling an '03 G35 sedan -- silver w/ black leather. beautiful car but apparently it has some problems

since i bought it Tuesday, the car has shut off 3 times already. the process goes like this:
    turn key, ignition, shift into R or D

and then its dead. turn key to ignition once more and it runs perfect. what the fuck is this? im still covered under Factory Drivetrain warranty.. any ideas on what kind of problem it is?

15. Captain Amazing

Did you buy the car knowing it had problems?

16. EBK

of course not. it wouldnt start when we test drove it buti figured it was sitting there for about a week (dusty and dirty compared to the ad). he jumped it and everything was a-ok

17. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

For the price of an RX-8, you could get a much better RX-7 FD and get some very nice performance mods.

18. deusexaethera

Right, because it's awesome how you get lightheaded every time the car comes to a stop for more than ten seconds.

19. vertGST

vertGST New Member

If you have not already, check the crank angle sensor. That can cause the car to have those symptoms.

20. deusexaethera

Because rotaries sweep the combustion chamber clean with every rotation, you can spray water into the engine without fear of hydrolocking it -- there's nowhere for water to build up without getting pushed out the exhaust.

It's apparently a cheap trick to rehabilitate a rotary that needs new apex seals, without having to rebuild it.

21. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Steam clean ftw.

22. PooJou

PooJou New Member

Oh even tho you've bought your old man a car already, was just going to come in here and say my old man's RX8 has been running like clockwork since 2006 - just eats a bit of oil, but that's not a problem - and mazda supplies the oil anyway, so you don't have to think about it :)

23. deusexaethera

It always did bother me that they don't have oil scavenging seals on the rotors. I know that would make the apexes wider, but I'm sure they could adjust the geometry to compensate.

24. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

This is news to me.

I have 500k~ miles of rotary experience between my FC SE and FD.

Please explain how this works..

25. deusexaethera

Apparently you just redline the engine and spray a hose into the intake. I thought it was bullshit when I heard it too, but apparently it works. My guess is it not only "steam-cleans" the engine, but the water would also thin out the oil and reduce the lubrication on the chamber walls enough that the seals could scrub off any surface glaze.