2006 VW Passat 3.6 vs. Acura TL?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Schadenfreude13, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Schadenfreude13

Schadenfreude13 New Member

I really am stumped. Looking to buy one of the two in the next month.

I currently have a '99 Passat V6, and I love her. My first choice is the new VW, but I keep hearing that the electrical system has been rated "worst" by Consumer Guide, and since there's so many electrical doo-dads on this new one (parking break, ignition, etc), that may spell disaster. Also that service, parts and fixes are going to be quite expensive.

I haven't even test driven the Acura yet, and there are a few things that I'm not 100% on (body style, lack of pass through split rear seating, no full size spare, the fun gadgets are all at additional expense), it may be cheaper, easier to maintain, and more reliable in the long run.

I know this may be biased, but what's your honest opinion? I cannot find a forum anywhere that doesn't sway heavily to one particular brand (or country origin).

:wiggle:

2. I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS Looking is free but touching will cost ya. OT Supporter

Being a VW fan, I would go for the Passat... but thats just me... GOOD LUCK

3. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I'm looking at getting a 3.6 4Motion wagon pretty soon here :bigthumb:

4. neotango

neotango New Member

My vote goes for the TL.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Last JD Powers and associates study rated VW near the bottom with 335 problems with every 100 cars.. that is 3.35 problems with every car made.

Go Honda

6. sanjay

sanjay New Member

how has your passat been?

i'd go with the VW for sure -- i don't doubt it won't be as reliable as the TL - but who cares? The TL feels like something my grand mother should own.

I made the move from honda to audi last year....and i won't be turning back

7. Leonard Washington

Leonard Washington OT Supporter

The b6 platform is easily the WORST reliable of all of them. I work at the dealer and some issues are the HID's are very picky, the movement side to side doesnt work on alot of the new cars right off the truck. Window issues, etc etc.

Go for the TL, its better looking.

The 3.6 is fast as balls though

8. Schadenfreude13

Not good. Last month the water pump went, $700. In December the driver's window just collapsed into the frame mid-trip, $300. The back passenger window froze twice in 18 months, $270 each time. One side of the oil system failed, luckily under warranty, but they warned that the other side may go soon and it's a $900 fix. The axl boots had to be replaced twice - leaking grease. The cruise control died at 2 years. The gearshift knob cracked at 2 years (got in one morning and it had cracked overnight). The brakes are expensive to replace. The glove box got stuck, had to completely replace, $300. And it's only worth $4350 from KBB at most. Didn't hold up too well. :hs:

After reading last week's Consumer Reports Cars 2006 issue, and seeing the confirmation that the Passat is ranked one of the lowest for reliability, fixes and overall satisfaction of ownership, compared the the Acura, which is not only one of the highest, but one of the 10 recommended cars of the year...I have decided to go with the TL, Also, seeing it in person a few times and realizing it's a bit sportier and less Honda-ey than I originally thought.

I'm sad to let go of VW. The 3.6L power and luxury still felt better than the TL. But I commute, I drive hard. I need something that will hold up to my abuse. Maybe in a few years if they can get their bugs worked out. :hsd:

9. SP

SP New Member

The TL is definitely a nice car, but I hope you got the 6spd manual. Hondas are notorious for blowing up automatic transmissions. At least they do take care of people though. They're very good about goodwilling you free trannys even out of warranty.

10. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I agree I love the stylin of the TL not to mention the features, reliability, but I dont care for FWD.

11. Schadenfreude13

No. I'll be getting the 5 automatic. I don't know how to drive a manual very well... :o

12. DuncMan

DuncMan New Member

get an a3 :)

13. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 New Member

i have driven a few new tl's and if u choose the tl it would be a great time to learn because the tl is just a overall better car when u have the manual. you will be very pleased with it. plus it's never to late to learn how to drive a manual...

plus you can just burn up the clutch that comes with it and then you have a reason to get some aftermarket goodies :)

14. GRiP_DRiVER

GRiP_DRiVER New Member

I would go with the TL... This coming from a mechanic/shop owner. I see 1 new Acura for every 5+ new VW's. Also coming from an ex-Audi and Honda owner. The TL is like $3k more to buy. But when you look at a 5 year cost. The Acura will haev cots the same if not less becuase of up keep.

15. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

QFT.....One of my best friends had his goodwilled 2 times in less than 45k miles. It was an '02 CL-S, which is the same tranny as the new TL...

16. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

go test the TL, get the manual if you can, makes driving much more fun.

but definitely drive one around, don't buy VW just because you have before, a lot has changed since 1999 for cars.

17. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

True. But 98-99 were shitty years for the Passat and the mk4 jetta. ESPECIALLY if yours has a '98 built date. That'll explain your problems. I've test drove the 3.6, and I've driven and valet'd more TL's than I can stand. Personally, I like the styling of the TL a little more, but the interior of the B6 Passat is just a nicer place to be. And 4-Motion > FWD

18. Schadenfreude13

Thanks for all the input, guys! I picked up my new Acura TL from the dealer yesterday.

And since I'm a silly little girl, I did cry a bit as I drove away from my Passat (was my first car, bought it new in 1999), left in the parking lot. I did send her off having just been washed, waxed and the interior detailed as best I could. $3500 as a trade in...which I think I did pretty well on. KBB gave it $4500, but there are a lot of hidden little issues (no cruise control, cracked gearshift, ruined cloth seats, need to replace mats, needs new timing and serpentine belts, oil pump is going, rear sunshade stuck, sunroof leaks, brake rust on the rims, needs new rotors, etc).