2006 Honda Civic Manual Trans Problem

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jeffclark86, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jeffclark86

jeffclark86 New Member

I just bought an 06 Honda Civic 5 speed about two weeks ago. I notice that it does not go into second as easy as I would expect from a new Honda. There is no grinding or anything but it just feels like it doesnt want to go in. I shift at around 3k. Usually when shifting around 2k, it will go in very smoothly. Does anyone know if this is normal? I brought it to the Honda dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Does this have to do with it not being broken in yet? There is about 1000 miles on the car now. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about but i have an 06 dx with 800 miles on the odo. So far i love the transmission, it shifts perfect to me and i can shift it as smooth as butter. So you're saying that shifting at anything over 2k is hard? are you shifting fast or slow?

3. jeffclark86

jeffclark86 New Member

I shift slow

4. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

are you shifting right? clutch in all the way? do you have to force it into gear?

when you bought the car, how many miles were on the odo?

5. jeffclark86

jeffclark86 New Member

6. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

does it happen all the time? or when it's cold? it's not smooth while the tranny is cold btw,,

7. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

luckily i don't have it but it seems like it's a common problem with a lot of the new civics. there was a thread on 8thgencivic.com on the 2nd gear issue.

8. zanadu

zanadu OT Supporter

Mine has 1200 miles on it and i've been having no problems with second gear going in. I do have some trouble timing the clutch release on second though, If I don't push down the accelerator quite aways just as I release I'll lose too many revs and slow down alot. Only happens on 1 -> 2 shift.

9. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

haha. so many people have that problem too. you just gotta learn how to drive better and that's all. i know what you're talking about though, i did that a couple times when i first drove the car but now i have absolutely no problem & can drive the car as smooth as an auto.

it's like you'll lose momentum altogether and seems like you're trying to accellerate from a stop in 2nd gear. But this is not the car's fault, it's the driver.

10. zanadu

zanadu OT Supporter

um, I also drive a 2000 Ranger 5-speed and it does not do this. Many cars do not do this. The simple fact that I need to pay special attention to the 1 --> 2 shifts indicates an abnormality. Albeit not a serious abnormality, and one that all 06 mt civics seem share, it's an abnormality for a mt car nonetheless.

11. ///M

///M New Member

you guys just dont drive your cars too hard, my 04 civic's tranny gave out in the beginning of january, its a manual, and yes i do know how to drive, but the bearing cages are made out of plastic and can crack with normal to spirited driving. its pretty pathetic for a manual tranny to break down after 47k miles (even though i did autocross it a little). and even with the new R18, and the new tranny, i'm willing to bet that honda was cheap again and used sub par materials in the tranny.

12. ///M

///M New Member

but then again, 7thgens were pieces of shit all along.