2006 Civic audio system upgrade...need advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris51080, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

I've got an '06 Civic hybrid, with Navigation, that desperately needs an upgrade. I want to keep the stock HU though.

I have a pair of Diamond Audio S600's and an old Memphis 4x75 amp that I would like to install. I wouldn't mind installing a sub under the passenger seat...if that option exists. Trunk mounted would be OK, however I don't want give up much of the little trunk space I have.

I keep hearing that the new civic has a built in amp, separate from the HU. I assume that this amp is not powerful, or clean enough to drive the S600's and produce good sound.
    What is necessary to swap the factory amp with the Memphis?
    Can I even keep my stock HU?
    Is installing just the new speakers a viable option?

2. fuzion1029

fuzion1029 New Member

it can be done for sure. probably not too easily though. sub under the front seat would be hard and you'd have to sacrifice a lot of sound quality. just put it in the trunk. there's pretty small sub options like Infinity's BassLink if you don't want a shit ton of bass.

3. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

Do you have the factory sub in the rear deck area?

Your factory amp is right behind your shifter (under the stereo). No it does not have enough power to drive your diamonds effectively.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Will any of this affect the car's hybrid system?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

beefy stereo is gonna make the engine work harder to keep the batts charged.

But hybrids don't work anyway and you think you're saving the enviro -- so you won't notice in your alter-reality.

6. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

The stereo won't be have a large draw, as I have no desire to be a bass pounder.

Anyways, even if it did, I can't say I care much. I don't give a shit about the environment. The reason for the Hybrid is a 150 mile/day commute. My BMW was costing me just under a grand a month to get to work. The hybrid costs me ~1/3 as much. As much as I can't stand the car, the money in my pocket is worth it. The stereo is just to make the time I have to spend in the car more bearable.

7. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

No sub from the factory, I think it was an option but as with most factory stereo upgrades, not worth the money.

Does anybody know if a simple LOC from the head unit will be adequate for an amp, or do I need something along the lines of an RF 3sixty to make the line level outputs usable?

8. rebs

the factory amplifier is x'd over. So to get a full range you will need a 360, or audiocontroll piece.

9. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

Would installing the LOC right off of the factory HU bypass any signal processing, and avoid the need for a 360?

10. rebs

what i would do first, since you dont have a factory sub, is pull your console and see if you even have an amp..I doubt you do.