2005 Nissan Altima S

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JediMasterMatt, Jan 14, 2008.

1. JediMasterMatt

JediMasterMatt New Member

I am looking for a new car, and have around 15k to spend overall, and went today and test drove a few Hondas, Mazdas, and Nissans. I liked a 2005 Nissan Altima that I drove the most out of the list of cars I drove, but have a few questions.

Before I ask my questions, I will give the specs as I remember them.

2005 Nissan Altima
    175 hp/180 lb/ft of torque 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine / C-VTC (said this on the Engine)
    13,XXX miles (holy crap LOW)
    Power Windows
    Power Locks
    Keyless Entry

First off, how do these cars hold up over time?

Second, the price was 14,900, is that a good price?

What could I look at talking the dealership down to if I went for it? I would like a spoiler on it (give it a bit sportier look but still a sedan that I need since I am looking to get married soon and will have kids in the not so distant future)

What should I look for mechanically that could be problems?

I test drove the Honda Accord, and was not thrilled with a 2k price difference (Honda was higher), yet the Honda had oh I don't know 30,000 more miles on it.

Opinions OT? Please help me, as I really want to pull the trigger in the next few weeks on a car.

EDIT: The Accord was an 04. WTF?

UPDATE: I have not ruled out the Accord or Camry. I looked more into that specific Altima (visited after hours and looked into it online) and found a few flaws that would stop me from buying the vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. JediMasterMatt

Come on, can I get a little help?

3. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

I drive an 05 Nissan Altima 3.5SL and its a nice car. If you are fine with a 4 cylinder and you need a 4 door car with a back seat than I would say that the altima is right for you. The little 4 cylinder is still pretty fun to drive. The price seems high though for a 2.5 S. You should be able to talk them down more.

4. JediMasterMatt

I agree that it is a little high, and will negotiate with them on it. How do they stack up reliability wise versus a Honda? It seems like they might not hold their value like Honda's or Toyota's do, but I am not necessarily concerned with that, as long as the car will last me a while.

I am okay with the 4 cylinder, I want good gas mileage. I drive a 2001 Ford Explorer right now, so I am going to see a nice little decrease in fuel costs. :bigthumb:

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honda and Toyota are very reliable cars, hence a higher resale. Nissan isn't quite as good but still decent-parts can be expensive though. Supposedly the CVT transmissions are real reliable.

Personally, I'd hold out for a V6 Altima, the VQ35 is a great engine. :)

6. Virality

Virality New Member

No Mitsubishi Galant?

The Altima is a great car though

7. JediMasterMatt

I hadn't even considered the Galant, what do I need to know about it?

8. Scottwax

Mitsubishi is Japanese for "burns oil".

Resale is absolutely horrible for them.

9. JediMasterMatt

Yikes.

I test drove a 2007 Toyota Camry last night with 24,000 miles. Loved it. Sticker price was 17,900, I made an offer of 16,000. They kinda snickered at me like they didn't take me seriously. I looked into them afterwards, and even ran the CarFax on that particular car...it was a Fleet car for a major car rental company for 5 months, and has been sitting on their lot now for 2 months, and they didn't bite?

Whatever, my logic is that for 2,000 more over their price, I can get in a 2008 Camry before haggling on the price, and it would have much lower miles, so they are going to have to work with me.

Any suggestions for me on working with them to come down on the price of the Camry?

10. Scottwax

Don't buy a fleet or rental car. People who drive them abuse the hell out of them because it isn't their car. That car ought to keep on sitting for what they want for it.

Why not look at a low mileage '03/04 Honda Accord V6? Very reliable and you can expect (based on my Dad's, including me using it for a road trip) 22 mpg in town and 30-31 mpg freeway. Just make sure the tranny recall has been done or that the vin# is out of the recall range (mid year 2004 and newer).

Honestly, for what you want to spend, that will get you a lot of car. 240 hp and a 5 speed automatic (or 6 speed manual in the coupe) is very entertaining.

11. JediMasterMatt

I would honestly prefer the 4 cylinder Accord if I could find one with low mileage, I like better gas mileage over entertainment.

I appreciate your input.

12. Silver 93 Supra

Silver 93 Supra Social Liberal, Fiscal Conservative

They had a lease special on the 2005's which are now comming back off of lease, at the same time there is a new model in 2007, because of this they have depreciated alot lately. $14900 is too much for that car.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  13. JediMasterMatt

I see. I would never pay the sticker price as is, but I didn't know these two things.

14. Scottwax

That is what my Dad said until he drove the V6 version...:eek3:

15. Silver 93 Supra

Silver 93 Supra Social Liberal, Fiscal Conservative

The real world difference in mileage between the V6 and the 4 cyl is not much. The official epa ratings are 24 combined for the 4 cyl, and 22 for the V6, with real world ratings only 1 mpg apart. Mileage has more to do with aerodynamics, gearing, and weight than it has to do with motor.

16. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

Altimas are great cars, my aunt has an 04 and is now looking to get one of the new 08s.

17. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

love the 04s :bowdown: havent heard anything bad about the reliability in the long term except the parts can be somewat expensive

18. jmann

jmann New Member

I have a 2002 2.5. That being said, the 2.5 motor is notorious for 2 main problems, especially in the spec v's:

1. The front catalitic converter breaks apart and pieces of the substrate get sucked into the combustion chamber and score the cylinder walls, causing you to burn oil lose compression and eventually kill your motor if left unchecked. This was a larger problem when the motor was first designed and so many miles were put on them, the 2005's came with a redesign that may have eliminated the problem, but they really haven't been around long enough to say for sure if the problem is fixed completely or not.

2. The screws fastening the butterfly valves in the intake manifold eventually can work themselves loose and get sucked into the combution chamber causing same problems as above. Easy solution to this was to open the intake manifold up and put some red locite on them.

In mine I removed the front catalitic converter and put a header on there, and use an O2 simulator to keep the check engine light from coming on indicating catalitic converter failure. You can't use O2 simulators on the 05 models, because nissan switched to wideband O2 sensors for that year. The wideband sensor might be the fix that nissan used to keep the a/f ratio clean and keep the cat from dying in the first place, I don't really know.

Also I put the loctite on my butterfly valve screws so I wouldn't get problem #2. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

19. D21X

D21X Ownz JOO

i was in the same boat 5 months ago.

the accord is definately the champ here. has the best interior, and exterior imo. i opted for an 03 Accord EX-L V6 sedan.

altima's interior doesnt compare. exterior is debateable.

camry has an ok interior, but not as nice as accord. exterior is nice.

bottom line, all cars are fairly nice no matter which one u pick.

20. JediMasterMatt

I am going to move on a 2005 Honda Accord that has 23,000 miles. 4 cylinder.

I found two at two different dealerships, one is metallic gold and the other is silver. Beyond that, they are both LX models and roughly around 900 miles difference (EDIT: On the odometer, not location). The silver LX is 16,500 while the gold one is 14,988. I called on the silver one (it is closer to me) and told them that if they beat the price for the other then I will buy from them, if not no thanks. They told me they were willing to work with me and didn't want to lose my business over a few hundred bucks.

I am going to offer 14,000 for the car. I will top out at 14,500. I think they will buy it, because i can go buy the other car....and they won't call my bluff on it over the color of a car and 900 miles on the odometer

21. JediMasterMatt

Last minute suggestion anyone? I am going to negotiate tomorrow. Should I aim lower than 14,000?

22. JediMasterMatt

Update:

I pulled the trigger and bought a Silver, 2005 Honda Accord. Paid 14,600 before tax and the likes.

It is the 4 cylinder, Automatic (Fiance can't drive manual), and has 23,000 miles.

I will post pics later when I get her cleaned up. I bought her last night and it snowed today so shes dirty again.

23. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

24. JediMasterMatt

Thanks man, I'm loving this car....so great!!!:bowdown: