2005 jeep wrangler unlimited

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PPC4100, Mar 24, 2005.

1. PPC4100

PPC4100 Guest

hey all, I am new here as well as being new to 4x4ing. i have wanted a jeep for a while and last week at the local auto show i saw a 2k5 jeep wrangler unlimited w/the h package. i spoke to a friend who said it was a good all around jeep, however i wanted to see what you guys thought. pro's/con's and please give reasons for con's 'cause i do plan on purchasing one prior to the end of the months. thanks a bunch in advance:)

2. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

Do eeeeet!

I have a 2000 Wrangler and love it. I have heard the unlimited drive a little nicer since they are longer. Plus, you have more storage and greater towing capacity. I had the special soft top they use on the unlimited on my 97 TJ and it's pretty cool.

Cons: Jeeps are loud and unrefined. This bothers some people and others don't care. I used to commute an hour each way in mine and loved it. The Wrangler will be redesigned in a year or two, so I'm waiting to trade mine in.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the wrangler is great offroad, but why buy a new one just to go bash it?

4. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

Buy a rubicon and bash it with a warranty ;)

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you mean the warranty that doesn't cover modifications or breakage due to offroad use?

6. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

Buy new, drive, bash when its old, get the picture? ;)

Yes, there is such a thing as lieing to your dealer too ;)

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

get an older jeep and mod it. Like a.....CJ7 ;)

8. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

I got a 2005 Unlimited last week. I love it! I had a '97 Wrangler I bought new, and this new one is a whole different beast. The ride is a LOT smoother and the sailcloth top is better at keeping out noise. Actually, there's more sound-deadening in several locations.
    About the only(relative) con for the Unlimited is it only comes with full doors. After driving with half-doors for 9 years I find myself bumping my elbow on the door every time I turn the wheel. It is kind of cool having actual glass windows, though.
    I got the 'H' package too-it includes a bunch of cool little gadgets (compass/temp. in mirror, cruise, 7-speaker stereo, etc.) and a chrome grill. I was'nt too sure about the chrome, but it seems to look better than I thought it would. And I'm too lazy to take it off.
    I suggest you either get the side steps or buy rocker guards. I got hit in the side a few years ago and lost a few inches of plastic from the front of my step. There's metal sandwiched in the plastic, and that stopped any more damage. The front of her Buick was all tore up and my body was'nt even scratched. She hit me at an angle, but still-I would have had a lot of body work to do without the step.

Make sure you do your homework before buying. Get a quote from a few different dealers. You should be able to get what you want for about $23k, give or take $500.