2005 GMC Sierra Beginning Processes, and progress thread.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FindersKeepers, Sep 29, 2008.

1. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

I dont post in here very often, but figured I'd let HCA see and critique what I'm doing

This is my daily driven 2005 GMC Sierra, Extended cab.

Sub Amp: Elemental Designs Nine.1

Subwoofers: 2 - Digital Designs 1508, 8" SVC 4ohm subs, will be wired down to 2ohm, in an under-seat, ported box.

Front Component Amp: Will be Elemental Designs Nine.2x (unpurchased yet)

Front Components: Currently RE Audio 6.5", they will be moved to the rear doors, and new (undecided) components will be put into the front doors.. Rear setup will be ran off from channel of HU, and the front components will be driven by the amp - this all im still very undecided about.

Wiring:
    0 Guage at battery
    300 amp fuse
    0 Guage to rear of truck
    Dual ANL fused distribution block, 150amp fuse per amp
    4 gauge power/ground per amp
    12 guage speaker wiring, all soldered connections
    14 guage RCA's

On to the amp "rack" install

The Rear seat is the type that the cushion/butt portion folds up, and while this is fine for keeping my CD Changer and Jack, Fire extinguisher hidden, it leaves me no options for access to an amplifier on the back wall

SO i modified the seat to fold down, to give me access to the back wall

CLICK FOR BIGGER PICS

By modifying these tabs (they are already cut in these pics)
    [​IMG]

That go into these hooks
    [​IMG]

I am able to make the rear seat do this
    [​IMG]

I took a piece of 1/4" MDF that is 12 inches high by 48 inches wide, and found the exact center of it, and placed my fused distribution block at the exact center, drilled two 1/4 holes and installed Tee Nuts to hold the block in place.

For the amp, I drilled 4 holes, added Tee nuts, and bolted it into place as well, outside of the truck... It's a lightweight setup, and is easy to install on my own, which was a big thing for me, as I did this without any help :o

I used industrial strength Velcro to hold the MDF to the back wall.. :o x2

This was just a test fit, to see if the seat would offer enough clearance, it did when folded down, but not when folded up
    [​IMG]

So I had to bash some tabs down to get it to fit with the amp back there
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, I will be properly running the remote power on (thin red wire wrapped around the 4ga power wire), as well as tying the RCA's down, trimming and installing the 4ga ground, and installing the connection to the battery.

Then I'll be pulling it all apart to upholster the rear wall (hide the jute pad) as well as the MDF, in grey to match the truck.

Todo for the next few days:
    Straighten and loom all wiring running in access channels
    [​IMG]

Straighten, Loom, and tie up loose wiring along back wall, as it sits now
    [​IMG]

Cover back wall
    build/cover box
    Tune
    Install remote bass control knob somewhere if I decide to.

used the nine.1 in my old vehicle, and just havent had the time to mess with installing it into the new truck, It's been so quiet without bass, and these DD subs need very little air room which is perfect for this truck, and they are some NICE little subs!

Will keep updated with progress pics as I get them

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Keep the pics coming, and throw some second skin in that truck!

3. FindersKeepers

I will be doing that, eventually, but for now this is all I can barely afford in my budget lol

Once i have enough money, the interior will be completely stripped and skinned, most likely in Raammat as i've used ricks products on my minitruck and other vehicles.

4. GammaRadiation

RAAMatt is good stuff, but the application is way more messy. But messy application isnt a factor on a budget.

5. FindersKeepers

Never had it being messy, other than if I get stuck to it, then it likes to leave a dark spot in an unwelcomed spot on my pants :o

lol I haven't decided which mat to use yet, I'm very happy with ricks matting, but a 62.5 square foot roll would do the back wall, and half of the cab floor, it barely covered my s10.. So i'd need 2-3 rolls to do it completely.

over time.

6. FindersKeepers

9/29/2008

Last month I Went to install my Optima Yellow Top into the truck, only to find it dead...

I tried to charge it, it wouldn't charge over 7 volts.

SO i left it sit...... a month later i check it, it still has 5 volts... hmm so its holding SOMETHING.....

Today I put it on a digital charger that has an AGM/Gell Cell mode to it, and put it on 2amp, letting it sit overnight, hopefully it will charge fully, and I'll be able to use it again

Reviving batteries FTMFW :x:

7. FindersKeepers

seems as though the battery is done for, I can get it to charge to 9.75 but doesnt seem to go any higher

I just need 2 more volts to be able to crank the truck up with it connected and let the alternator condition it for a bit :wtc:

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

too bad you don't have a charger that has the jump start option.

9. FindersKeepers

I have access to one, but I dont believe it would help much, the instructions even from optima say slow charge at 1-2 amps... im going to keep cycling the charger (it kicks out after a while)... i'll just keep doing it time and time again as people have said to, to try it.

Would be a shame to throw away a 2-3 year old battery thats not supposed to have these issues :hsugh:

10. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

On deep cell batteries arn't you supposed to do something special as a last resort if they are "dead". I thought it was something like supplying a lot of amps for a certain amount of time or something.

11. GammaRadiation

My yellow top has been nothing but great to me!

My charger has a deep cycle option, it gets our boat batteries up and running no matter how long they sit and waste away.

12. FindersKeepers

This battery definitely has issues, sometimes it'll hold stable at 9 volts other times down to 5 volts :ugh:

I put on some jumper cables, hooked it up to the truck and let it run for about 30 minutes at 2k rpms charging it at 15 volts.

It finally charged to 11 volts, but as soon as the cables were disconnected and it was put on a meter, it dropped to 9 volts and slowly trickled down .2volts per second down to 7

I've decided to just get a red top to replace it, I've never really used it as intended so the red tops hould be fine

13. GammaRadiation

Red tops are actually better if you just need a starting battery. I got a yellow top because I used to compete and I often sit out in the woods with friends with the stereo playing and the engine off. I can let it play for over 2hrs at a good volume and it doesnt even studer when starting.

14. FindersKeepers

I don't really sit with the engine off and radio playing for very long, maybe 30 minutes tops when I clean it, but I always turn the bass down/off so I don't drain batteries.

Initial starting amperage is more important to me then cycling amperage so thats why im going with the red top. :)

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i had a redtop that i went through 3 cars with... only problem i had, was someone wanted it more than me.

my yellowtop lasted less than a year.

16. FindersKeepers

The yellowtop was great on my minitruck, running two high amperage compressors, audio, and the engine/strobe lights/etc all at once at shows and shit... It and the stock alt never complained..

But then I left the battery sit, and there was a parasitic drain, and it killed it, down to dead, until i bought a trickle charger..

Was fine for a bit then just quit :wtc:

5 years of use I found the original reciept, not bad, longer than any battery i've ever had.

17. FindersKeepers

Fucking bastard ass theives.

Bitches are gong to have to take the whole truck and strip it to get this all out when it's completed.

L brackets on specialty nuts FTW

18. FindersKeepers

Updates on this

Last night I bought another yellowtop off of craigslist, let it sit overnight on a multimeter came out this morning and it's the same.... w00t I got a good battery for 30 bucks!!!!

Today im going to re-do the mounting to the wall, and run power, then dis-assembled everything and cover it in carpet..

19. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Isn't that kinda bad for the amp to have little/no airflow behind that rear seat?

20. FindersKeepers

it'll be fine, the amp has an internal fan, that and the cab vents are right next to the amp... as well as the floor vent that blows right back at it...

21. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

quick question.

why are you running 0awg back... but only 4awg to the amps?

also.. did you upgrade you chassis to battery as well? I got a duramax and need to get off my lazy ass and do that. im having light dimming problems at night and i think thats my problem

22. FindersKeepers

Because I had 0 left over, as well as all the hardware, and I could.

And yes, everything is upgraded and looks/functions factory, but bigger :big grin:

23. FindersKeepers

This weekend:

Bought an optima yellow top off craigslist for 30 bucks, it looked new but was no good....

Took it to pepboys today, and got it exchanged for FREE!!!!

One pic is the new battery, one pic is the old battery, but this is just to show how I ended up installing/securing the 0awg to the fuse box and so on, it looks pretty decent, not as centered as I wanted it but I didnt have enough to make it work the way I wanted... so this would have to do just fine.

New
    [​IMG]

Old
    [​IMG]

24. ConKBot

ConKBot WTF is that?

you going to upgrade your Alternator to battery lead, and alternator ground(or engine block) to chassis ground? I guess you'll be running big ass lead to the chassis from the battery -?

25. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

thats another thing i need to do.

I think the majority of the stock wiring is 4awg. and some is 8