2004 WRX Owner. Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ViO, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ViO

ViO New Member

I have a 2004 Subaru WRX. It is Java Black. Love the car.. But I have waited on doing any mods other then a turbo guage LOL ... Anywho I know what things I would like to do to the car but I do not have a good idea of what to do first and why etc.....

So here is the deal.

I know I want to add
    1. Cold Air Intake,
    2. Top mount intercooler With blow off
    3. Exhaust system (I want a Low sig)
    4. Rims
    5. Brakes/Rotors

I need suggestions ..... Also, if you think I should do something different let me know I am open. I think I should go with the intercooler first but I am not sure.

Here are 2 pics of my car .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

hell yeah i love black cars with pinstripes

here's what i would do and this is just coming from me and i am kinda crazy but this setup would give you real performance and style for the $$

gut your factory uppipe
    buy a catless downpipe
    invidia turboback exhaust (they are the sweetest things around)
    whiteline springs
    (your choice of shocks, don't know which are good for scoob never researched)
    STi or ebay TMiC
    decent brake pads
    Gramlights rims in bronze with good tires

then move on to a cheap used turbo VF39/30/22
    ECUtek

go from there!

3. ViO

ViO New Member

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!! Thanks for the brand names :) !

I was thinking of going with black rims with some chrome on them. But I am undecided ... I like your suggestions. :bigthumb:

4. DINide

DINide New Member

free up your exhaust.

drop it.

wheels and tires.

then more engine stuff.

5. ecofire

ecofire Member

Go with the K&N Typhoon CAI. Get exhaust and engine managament from Cobb Tuning. If your going to do brakes get some 17 inch wheels and put the STi setup on.

6. ecofire

ecofire Member

For some good looking wheels check out SSRs. They are pricey but worth the money. And put Pirelli P Zero Neros on them.

7. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

Forget the CAI, once the air hits the turbo it gets super heated. Just get a normal short ram if stock isn't good enough for you.

I dunno what TMICs are available for your car, but if you want an aftermarket BOV, I suggest getting EM unless you get a recirc kit. What will happen with an aftermarket BOV is your ECU will be expecting a shit load of air to come in, but when the pressure gets dumped, no air, all gas, so you'll run really rich for a second and that will make your engine run like shit.

Stock rotors are fine, unless you want a BBK. If you're gonna stay stock size, I'd suggest stainless lines, new fluid and better pads. If you're set on new rotors there are many options, I'd stay away from cross drilled though, just stick to slotted.

Other stuff is up to your taste. Check out nasioc.com there's a lot of dicks over there, but a lot of good info if you search.

8. flakey

flakey New Member

im with ej25 were both on nasioc and i hate that site now,

but EM is probibly gonna be the biggest gain you will see with just a plug and play. i recommend TurboXS UTEC it might be alil pricey but the things you can do with it are incredible for help with Utec engine tunes go to www.wrxhackerz.com that site is gold for any advice on tuning your car.

forget the CAI as he said waste of money, stick with K&N typhoon series short ram intakes it has the same gains as the CAI version. and comes with a heatshiel on both the filter and pipe

Blowoff valve- go with a REcirculating one such as the greddy-type Rs or greddy type S which i have, but if you must hear the sound get the HKS SSQV as it is GAURENTEED not to leak.

Exhaust- dude there is only one company that WRXs should go for Blitz Nur-spec if you want a sound clip of the rumble ill send one to you

Up pipe- but a stock Sti up pipe from some one on nasioc they are catless dont gut the pipe your self, you will prob get cancer or something

Down pipe- i would either suggest 2 different models either go with the Invidia DP as it is a bellmouth design or a Perrin DP because of the divorced wastegate design BOTH are proven power adders compared too a stright pipe or seperated

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Upipe or gut the stock one
    Ecuteck (Vishnu is one I had on my 2002 loved it)
    keep stock IC just add bigger hood scoop and keep stock BOV (get samco houses for IC)
    Just get any 3in turbo back you like just make sure it's 3in all the way through and the muffler is not baffeled.
    Don't do a intake you don't need it stock box will flew enough for the stock turbo

If you run cat less I have seen wrxs with this set up make 220-240whp. It's more then enough to for the stock brakes and tires. Also doing a walbro pump is not a bad idea to keep your full pressure up. Stock injectors get max out before the stock turbo. If they go wide open witch they will with a exhaust and upipe and more the factory boost at least you will have enough pressure in your fuel line.

Get better tires and SS lines as the next upgrade IMHO

I made 295whp on my 2002 with a flash on pump gas.

10. flakey

flakey New Member

i hate ecuteck and accessport IMO you reflash your chip right? and then it needs to be pro tuned for each mod you put on for peak perfomance screw that go for UTEC or man up and get the Element Tuning Hydra (which i should switch to now) which is secks in a box trust me man chose one of these two

11. Cachee0

Ecuteck works well

12. ViO

ViO New Member

I am loving this people. Thanks so much for the advise. I have much learning to do. As I do things to the car I will update and post pics !!!! ...

I am curious of the other WRX owners here... What have you done and are you happy with the brands / mods that you have done?

13. DINide

DINide New Member

puahahahahahaah LOL

14. ignition

ignition Active Member

dont get an intake or bov. stay away from those. most people go full turboback exhaust no cats and a catless upipe then some sort of engine management. do not use a manual boost controller either. then if you want more power go with a vf34 turbo with pinks. most wrx owners complain of the crappy tires so if you want handling over power get some sort of suspension a rear sway bar and some nice stick tires.

15. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

Why is that funny? Don't you know the material in cats is carcinogenic (sp?)?

16. Cachee0

I had a full Cusco set up 02rs and the sways. The sways and tires are all that is needed for a good street car. Also end links I used noltec endlinks.

17. flakey

flakey New Member

i agree the stock RE92's are crappy, prob the crappyiest tires i have ever seen

but for boost control a MBC is fine especially if you have the UTEC or the HYDRA infact when you buy the UTEC there is an AMBC included in the package

18. DINide

DINide New Member

like burned eggs?

EVERYTHING causes cancer

19. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

here's what you want for bang for the buck:
    engine management (the FIRST thing you shoudl get if you are going to mod. accessport or UTEC are pretty swank)

uppipe (faster spool good sound and good power gain)

downpipe (HKS is a cheapie but a goodie. turboxs is huge if you want big power later)

you'll be pretty happy with just those two mods.

I wish i'd stuck with that :o

20. Cachee0

rear cusco sway on my wagon.

[​IMG]

21. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

handling wise heres what i reccomend: (what I have)
    cusco rear swaybar and some rear endlinks (I have helix. they look cool and work great)
    prodrive springs or sti pink springs.
    if you really want grab a spec c strut/spring combo for some big improvements.

kuhmo MX are great cheap tires that stick like crazy if you can stand the bumpyness. stick with 16's for the time being, trust me. tire prices go up as wheel sizes do pretty quickly. I have 17's and regret it, honestly.

kuhmo ASX are great all seasons if you still plan to do some mud/gravel sliding.