2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Review (v.MostCertainlyNotDefbringer)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Scoob_13, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm going to try to give an impartial review because some people might conclude that I might have a slight bias towards the Impreza - this isn't true, I just love cars that are fun to drive, have great handling characteristics, and that produce that certain feeling of orgasmic euphoria when you think about driving the car. My 1999 2.5RS did that to me, however the 2002/2003 WRX did not.

I can honestly say that, in all of my years, and throughout all of my opportunities to drive a vast array of vehicles, I have never been so impressed with a car as much as the STi impressed me this morning.

However, I'll start with the cars' shortcomings.

I understand the concept behind a "radio-delete" option, and more power to SoA if they can pull it off, however charging $700 for the stock radio is absurd, especially considering the fact that I can walk down to Best Buy or Circuit City and pay the same for a semi-decent stereo that would blow the stock radio away.

Foglamps: An intricate part of the GC8 WRX and Sti variants, as well as the 2.5RS. I preferred the larger ones, however if the smaller ones work, great. I don't like the fact that I'd have to pay extra for them, but oh well, so long as the covers still work.

Rear spoiler: Odd design on the main aerofoil, it appears as though it would generate lift, and I'll be damned if the thing wasn't rather flexible as well.

Intercooler Spray Control: While I'm driving, I don't want to have to move my hands from the steering wheel to be able to activate something like that - a simple button on the wheel would have sufficed.

Air conditioning/heating controls - The Turbo Forester has better controls that provide more flexibility and better options - well worth the extra weight, if any.

Now for the good stuff.

There is no replacement for displacement. Yes you American Muscle Car Nazi's, I agree with you, always have. This is not to say that there are times when less displacement isn't good, however I don't think this car would be anywhere near as fun if it didn't have that extra 1/2 liter of displacement, because torque = fun = STi. The torquey aspects of this engine, coupled with the gearbox and gobs of grib from the AWD system and the beefy 225's, makes for a car that screams "use me, abuse me, yes please may I have some more pedal." This car is an absolute blast to drive from the acceleration standpoint that it definitely belongs in the same category as the pricier American Muscle and the lower to mid-end European sector.

Stability through the corners was top notch, and Subaru of American did a fantastic job of configuring the car properly for both great handling as well as fun. You know they're finally starting to listen when they, literally, designed the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) to allow the rear to hang out a bit if the driver so wanted it to. The car is well damped and well suited to everyday life, and is nowhere near as rough on the streets as my 2.5RS was with the coilovers (that were softly sprung and ran on the lower damper settings for the street config), nor was it anywhere near the abusive levels that people have been claiming.

Braking is not that bad - could use some different pads, and a good set of cryo-treated slotted rotors. Magnesium wheels would be destroyed in no time in the city, and the choice to use Aluminium alloy on the WRX (BBS made) not only look great, but serve their purpose of keeping weight down. The OEM tires are not that bad - Bridgestone Potenza RE070's - and offer good grip while sacraficing quite a bit of tread life, however I feel as though they should have increased the cost by $1k and included not only a stereo, but Bridgestone S-03's for increased wet handling.

Interior and exterior was not bad at all - the seats are definitely worth their weight, however the government should let us determine how much explosives we want wrapped around a cabin, and allow us to order vehicles with airbags. Other than that usual gripe (and not one specific to the Subaru) I was highly pleased with the location of the seats and its mobility, which allowed my 6'1" frame to fit comfortably (and correctly positioned) behind the wheel. The controls are well within the acceptable boundaries, minus the Intercooler Spray control. It was well built and I could find nothing wrong with their methods of construction. I do however prefer spartan interiors that allow me to concentrate on driving, and this is definitely one with no distractions. I just wish that they would include a stereo.

Conclusion: Never in my life have I been so amazed by a car that I've never bothered to look under the hood, had it put on a lift to see the quality on the underside, or cared about the price - this car is one to own, no matter what the cost. 4 doors, decently styled (a little over the top, but who cares - you don't stare at it while you're driving it), great power and torque, great gearbox, great drivetrain, great grip, great breaking, great fun. It's not an easy car to drive well, but they do their best to try to create that. This vehicle is a good reason to give up eating out if you have to, but if you're lucky enough to be able to afford it, then there's no way that you could ever be disappointed with it.

Cliff Notes: Pure orgasmic driving satisfaction that is hard to match in a vehicle that still comes in under $100,000. And it definitely knocks the socks off an Evo. This is a car that you can pick up from a dealer, break it in with 1000 miles, change the oil, bleed the brakes, and head to the track. Toss on a tow hitch, and you can tow the trailer with the track tires and the toolbox for a full-out track experience. To quote Ferris, "I love driving it...it's so choice. I highly recommend picking one up, if you have the means."

2. Kinsbane

Kinsbane Life is a dream from which we all must wake. OT Supporter

The wing is fully functional on the STi and is even flexible enough to bow when it needs to. :)

3. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 GOAT OT Supporter

Excellent quote!!! :rofl: :bowdown:

4. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

exactly, it bows to the Evo often

5. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

god i can't wait untill idiots start modding the new sti and blow up engines and trannies at just 350AWHP like every other subaru ever made.. uh oh my tranny can't handle 350ft/bs of tq time to buy a $7K aftermarket tranny with straight cut gears :rolleyes:

6. Kinsbane

STi's tranny is stronger than a regular WRX. Besides, even with no mods, most kids were blowing their trannies cause they decided to drop the clutch at 6,000rpm.

7. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

haha! i know absolutly NOTHING about Sti transmissions!

:slap:

8. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

:slap:

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

the 2.5 liter motor is shit. the jpas didnt give us anything better, the only reason its 2.5 liters is so the engine derives more power out of displacement and less out of the turbo so it passes emissions. ask any tuner who has worked on the STi and the EVO, the EVOs potential is 10x more. And plus the motor is new, and unproven, while the 4g63 has gone through 15 year of refinement with each generation. Now the handling of the EVO in comparison with the STi isnt even an arguement, i have driven both and i can honestly say i was impressed by the STis speed, but very disappointed with its handling.

10. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

11. smell my finger

the usdm motor is shit?

the evo has 10 times the potential?

have you been reading a lot of interweb posts or something?

APS has already made 468hp, 415ft/lbs on a stock USDM block with less than a year's worth of development.

12. Section8

Section8 .

Where exactly is the intercooler spray button? ON the dash? I"m assuming it's out of close reach judging by your writeup.

13. omgomgomg123

omgomgomg123 Oh My God.

El Slotho, can you link the picture please. It makes the thread too wide.

14. Kinsbane

left side of the wheel below the curved dash part thingie.. where the fog light button is.

15. Section8

Section8 .

bah! set your resolution higher! Fits my screen perfect.

16. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Done.

17. smell my finger

i believe it's on the dash, to the left of the wheel. it's not out of reach, but you'd have to take your hand off the wheel to hit it.

18. omgomgomg123

omgomgomg123 Oh My God.

My Toshiba laptop doesn't go any higher than 1024x768...

19. omgomgomg123

omgomgomg123 Oh My God.

20. TypeSKid

TypeSKid Guest

damn i do llove this car. :big grin:

21. SlimCutta M.D.

SlimCutta M.D. Sound of Revenge-10/25/05

i might get this car...

22. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Hehehe, anyone that says the STi absolutly whips the EVO, ha never driven and EVO.

ANd should be giving any sort of comparison or making any mentions of a comparison untill they have driven both.

Once you push the limits of the STi and the EVO...it doesnt take any sort of inteligence to deduce that the EVO is the better platform, stronger chassis, and more usable motor.

The only catagory that the STi is stronger in...is personal oppinion, and marketing.

Untill youve had them both out on a track, dont tryand give a comparison between teh two.

23. smell my finger

at least you havent mentioned that the STI block will detonate at anything over 325 crank hp :hug:

24. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Oh, and the gearbox issue...

Thought the STi 6 speed is a beefier box, it still has the inherant mechanical flaw in 2nd gear.
    Subaru has known it for YEARS. And they have YET to properly fix it. That puts a sour taste in my mouth, from atuning aspect and a consumer one.

Especially when you consider that Mitsubishi has continually refined the gear ratios, and teething on the EVO's transmission, improving acceleration, and top speed, and GREATLY increasing reliability.

550 BHP on a stock transmission....never gonna happen in a Subaru.

25. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

the people who complain about the detonation are fucking douche bags anyway. allt hey need to do is retard the timing and leanit out. USDM Sti is still simply not on par with the EVO.