2004 Chevy Tahoe Fault Code P0455

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BCarp914, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BCarp914

BCarp914 New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I have a 2004 Tahoe LS 4WD w/77600 miles. I know occasionally I would get the "Tighten Fuel Cap" warning on the odometer display, once tightened it would go away.

Well this morning I got the same message, I tightened the cap, and then later noticed the "Check Engine Light" was illuminated. I am NO LONGER getting "Tighten Fuel Cap" message.

I pulled into the local Auto Zone, they read code P0455. "Evap Large Leak Detected"
    Prob Cause:
    1. Defective, loose or missing fuel cap
    2. EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
    3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
    4. Vacuum leak at engine

I replaced the fuel cap, and still engine light on, no tighten fuel cap message.....

Anyone else run into this issue/ anyone have any advice where I should look next?

Tucson, AZ
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    there are some nipples moulded into the tank (plastic) that attach to hoses and breathers. I had one break. Depending on how bad sometimes you can use epoxy to fix it -- otherwise you need a new tank.

that is assuming that's the problem.

I would disconnect the negative battery cable for an hour to reset things and see if the problem persists (could be a code stuck in the ECU).
  3. RCars2

RCars2 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Check the hose that runs to the charcoal canister. It should be a smaller diameter hose that comes out of the tank right next to the filler hose and runs to a small black box (the box is the canister) that i believe is housed in the area right behind the rear tire (thats where it was on my 99 tahoe and on my 2000 s-blazer). Make sure that is connected and that the hose is not torn or rotten.

If that aint it, try pullin the neg cable like mentioned above to see if it clears.