2004 BMW 525d Sport

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kingfaz, Jun 20, 2005.

1. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

So I've been driving this beautiful car since last Wednesday so thought I'd post a mini-review.

First off, the styling. This car looks awesome! It needs to be viewed in person to be appreciated, quickly searching online brings up a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front and back is very aggresive looking, especially the beefier models. The car has some serious road presense.

Onto the driving, the ride is very smooth and comfortable. The big comfy leather seats move in all sorts of positions electronically. You can comfortably sit 3 adults in the back without any problems. We travelled from Birmingham to Edinburgh and back in this, and believe me the journey was fantastic! Normally on such large journey's you'd get bored and tired, but this car kept us well amused and comfortable. Handling is sharp, the lowered suspension and 245 wide tyres grip the road like nothing i've seen! It takes alot to get the rear end to twitch out. I did once almost **** myself when twitching the rear on a wet roundabout. Power through RWD rules, you can just feel the car pushing and pushing while the steering is faultless.

The 2.5 litre diesel engine coupled with an automatic sports gearbox was a bliss to drive. It had masses of power, and once moving this thing felt invincible! You gotta love the roar of the straight 6. It's only 220bhp i think, but the torque is around 300lb/ft. 0-60 is 8 seconds (not bad for such a big car, with an auto box) and it'll power away to 140-ish mph. The car is soo comfortable and effortless that you don't realise your speed till you shock at the speedo reading! All this while the car feels as though it's floating on the road. I've got a video of a 60-140mph acceleration run up a hill(!) if anyone wants to see.

Economy wise, it was surprising. On the motorway, i set the cruise control at 90mph and was returning around 48mpg! Around town if you're sensible you can get around 30mpg or about 20mpg if you've got a pretty heavy foot. My overall consumption for a 1000 mile scotland trip was 35mpg and that's including a few 140mph runs and plenty of races.

I'm just going to end this saying it's unbelieveable how much respect you get when driving such a car. People seemed to go out of their car to give me way. People literally stop and stare. People give thumbs up. I was literally the talk of the town driving this BMW. It's an amazing feeling which makes you feel like a million quid.

I can easily see why people work hard their entire lives to afford such £35K cars. The only thing that i'm bothered about is that this car has set my standards soo high. 90% of the cars on the road don't interest me even remotely now. That said, this car is well worth it.

:cool:

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Interesting review :)

Just a note on the pics. The first one is an M5 and the second something by AC Schnitzer if I'm not mistaken?

3. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

I don't think the 1st picture is an M5, my sport looks better than it (the one in the picture doesn't even have fog lights).

The 2nd pic is probably an AC tuned one yeh. Although the front looks almost identical to the sport.

4. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

Ah right, well i stand corrected then.

5. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

:bigthumb: Cheers mate

6. CoOkieS

CoOkieS New Member

first is m5

7. ISO9002

ISO9002 New Member

Haha, right! I was gonna reply so quick about the first pic is a M5. There are few places you can tell it is. Since quite a few have proven it. Not much needed today!

M5 :bigthumb:

8. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

There's a ton of people over at e60.net that drive 525d models. They like them a lot. I have a 525i and it fits everyone very nicely. I love my 525i. I do wish I got the upgraded 530 or 545/550, but it was my first BMW and it's brand new. So, it's a foot into the door. By the time my lease is done, I hope to be a good position to afford teh 550 or 530.