2004 Alpine White M3, help with my new detail plan, please!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by extremest, Jul 14, 2009.

1. extremest

extremest OT Supporter

I recently purchased a 2004 Alpine White M3 :cool: The paint seems to be in really great condition other than the obvious swirl marks once in direct sunlight. I currently own a Porter Cable however I'm in need of new pads, products, etc.. (still have some original Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound, etc.. but just wanted to start fresh as they are all pretty old and the original formulas).

I've been reading great reviews about Meg's 105 & 205 as being the products to get, however I didn't know if they are best suited for a more powerful Flex or Rotary. I had planned to get a Flex but I really only do my car as of late and it's not in poor poor condition so I feel the PC will work well as it's still running strong. Are these products I still should look in to getting or are they a bit overkill for this car? Also, if they are recommended, what else should I get as a next step after the 205. Just a simple wax or should I also add in a polish/pre-wax (or is that essentially what the 205 is???).

I was also looking at these full kits while browsing AutoGeek. After watching the Pinnacle XMT videos, it really seems like they are great products and all I would really need at an affordable price. Here's the kit

http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtinswrek.html

Would this be a nice choice? I still have some Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax, would this be a good choice to top off the following kit as my wax or should I look at another wax for better results with the previous products and or on a white car?

The car (looks amazing in these pictures but it's in the shade and the swirls are hiding)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

The only problem I've had so far with Meg's 105 is on a C5 I was working on this past week; it was dusting REALLY badly (worse than on any other vehicle I've done with it) and not cutting very effectively with either my Flex or my rotary on a Meg's SoftBuff 2.0 Cutting Pad.

On other vehicles though, I've had nothing but great results.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use less #105, seems to help.

4. extremest

extremest OT Supporter

So is the general consensus that I should get both 105/205, orange pads for the Meg's 105 (with this product would it be best to get 5.5" pads for the PC so I can get better speeds to work the product in???), white polishing pads for 205, and then just keep my Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax??

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

You mean on Corvettes in particular? That's good to know, since the same amount of 105 on other vehicles doesn't produce anywhere near that much dust for me. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I do a 'vette. :bigthumb:

6. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

Awesome car, congrats! Those wheels are amazing. Every time I see an e46 with the stock 18's I am disappointed, those 19's are much better.

7. Scottwax

That should work pretty good. Go on autopia and search "kevin brown method" which amps up the cut of #105 when working with a DA buffer.

8. Scottwax

Corvettes can be really odd to work on. C5s are absolutely the worst, real bitch to correct.

9. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Ive got one sitting in my garage waiting on the weekend to do.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

Agreed, for sure. I actually ended up pulling out my older Meg's polishes to finish off that C5 since the 105 wasn't doing the job. 85/83 with the rotary ended up doing great, just as I've seen them do in the past on C5s (albeit it took longer). :bigthumb:

11. Paulie Walnuts

This might sound odd but Ive had great luck mixing Menz SIP with Megs #80 at about a 3 to 1 ratio, roughly. Allows to work the polish longer but not too long. When I mixed SIP and #106FF whatever it took too damn long to break down. I also used a white or gray pad at 2100 RPMs and that was a lot easier than slower speeds with a firmer pad. Odd I know but hey it worked.

12. Paulie Walnuts

If that car just had some deep dish rims it would be teh hottness