2003 Renault Clio 1.6 Muffler Problems

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rsxm5, Jan 2, 2008.

1. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

This is probably a stupid question, but I really don't want to screw this up since it's not my car. How hard is it to change the muffler on one of these? Is it something anyone can do, or should I have it taken somewhere? The car has developed a problem where at idle or low rpm, the muffler seems to hit something and make a terrible racket/vibration. I haven't actually checked to see if something is just loose, but hopefully I'll be able to do that today. Thanks in advance...

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How in the hell did you get a Renault Clio in Cali?

Anyway, exhaust systems are just tubes. If it's bolted instead of welded, you can do it yourself. If it's welded, you'll probably want to let a shop do it.

My dad used to own a 1983 Renault Aliance back in the day. :)

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Heh, I figured someone would ask about the car... right now, I'm in Mexico for a couple of weeks, and it's my girlfriend's mom's car. Also, it's a Nissan Platina here in Mexico, but everywhere else in the world, its a Renault Clio 1.6L 4-dr Sedan. It's a pretty fun little car.. kinda peppy. I think it's right around 120hp or less, so it's certainly no speed demon, but it's still pretty cool.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Ha, great... now the brakes on this thing are starting to do weird shit... it may end up in the shop anyway, but I'm going to check out the muffler tomorrow anyway.