2003 Dodge Rams Retain Solid Axle Front Suspension, Offer All New Engines.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Feb 14, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

For Dodge's advertising campaign, the Ram 1500 has been labeled the "Mayor of Truckville." For the new heavy-duty Rams, we suspect the title "Overlord of Truckville" is fitting.

It was at the 2001 Chicago Auto Show that Dodge introduced its new Ram, so it seems fitting that the heavies made their debut one year later at the same location. Armed with new powertrains, massive tow and payload capacities, updated Ram styling and plenty of features, the 2500 and 3500 trucks should be quite attractive to commercial users, as well as serious consumers.

[​IMG]

Starting things off are two new engines. The first is 5.7-liter V8. Called "Hemi Magnum," it marks the return of Chrysler's legendary Hemi engine name after a 32-year absence in Chrysler production cars. This new V8 is standard in both Rams and features a hemispherical combustion chamber (hence the name Hemi). It makes 345 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque, more than GM's 6.0-liter V8. The other new motivator is a high-output Cummins turbo diesel. This 5.9-liter inline six puts out 305 hp and a towering 555 lb-ft of torque. The high-output Cummins is optional in the 2500 and 3500, as are last year's 8.0-liter gas V10 and regular Cummins turbo diesel. A variety of transmissions are available (including a new five-speed automatic), as is manually or electronically controlled 4WD. Four-wheel-drive trucks will have a live front axle, as opposed to the Ram 1500's independent front suspension.

Regular and four-door Quad Cab body styles are available. For the first time, a two-wheeled rear-axle 3500 is available, providing an intermediate step in payload capacity between the 2500 and 3500 dually. Thanks to an exceptionally stiff frame and a new rear axle, towing and hauling capacities are quite high. A Ram 3500 dually with the HO Cummins has a 12,000-pound max payload (GVWR) rating and 23,000-pound tow rating (GCWR).

[​IMG]

Dodge says it created a new duty cycle aimed directly at commercial customers, testing the new Ram in conditions ranging from -40 to 130 degrees F and running the equivalent of 150,000 miles at 95 percent of their maximum towing and payload ratings. Safety is also enhanced with the new truck, thanks to features like side curtain airbags, power adjustable pedals and seatbelt pre-tensioners. ABS is standard.

Do you like trucks? Do you like trucks that can haul huge horse trailers? How about trucks that cause Honda Civics to wilt out of the fast lane as soon as they get a glimpse of an oversized big-rig grille and flared dually fenders? If you answered yes to these questions, the Ram 2500 and 3500 are just begging for homes in your driveway.

2. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

Bout fuckin time!

3. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

It's a shame the new design is :barf:

4. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

Why the FUCK is dodge putting the viper engine in a truck when they have these motors already?

Seems like that 5.7 hemi is a no brainer to stick in a reg cab shortbed instead of the wussy 360. Then they could make a truck to complete with the lightning in performance AND price.

Oh well, i just want dodge to pressure ford into making a badass new lightning :)

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

With 500/500 in the speedy ram thingy, and 500/500 in the GT40 which uses the 5.4 that is in the Lightning, it would make sense for Ford to make the Lightning engine the same as the GT40.

6. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

What they SHOULD do is just start with a navigator 32v motor and slap the eaton blower on that. Lightnings aren't THAT as far off from the 500/500 numbers as many might think. I've seen a couple dynoing at numbers like 450/600 without nitrous. If the ram comes out at the same specs as the show truck, it will definitely be at the top of the heap, but not by as much as everyone thinks.

The REAL advantage the dodge has is the 6 speed. I know many people who would buy a lightning in a heartbeat if they came with a manual. I don't think ford has a parts bin manual transmission that can hold up to the amount of torque that the lightning puts out though. I guess the auto is better on a forced induction motor anyways.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I find myself warming up to the new Ram's styling, especially after driving it. They are vastly improved to say the least!

If I bought one the chin spoiler would have to go.

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Ford needs to up the HP on both its engines now. Make the 4.6 about 250-280 hp and the 5.4 about 320. The Nav's 5.4 should be around 350. If they keep the current HP numbers they will be far behind in another year.

9. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

10. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:
    mabye that'll be my tow vehicle instead of a dakota r/t :bigthumb: