2003 chevy cavalier amp install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Mar 14, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hey all. I got a friend w/ a 03 cavalier. he wants to install his 2 10's (not sure what) and his amp.

I have always done the ghetto method of wiring the power wire around the top of the engine bay and into the passengers door opening (I know I am lazy)

My question is. to do it correctly you have to go through the firewall. is there a best way to do this?

also where would I route the power wire for a 2003 cavalier.

god I sound retarded but I finally need to answer this question. I am tired of doing it wrong.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's nothing ghetto about that wiring setup. There are plenty of wires that run through those spaces in most cars. I know mine has a nice big batch of wires that run through there.

That said, you could look under the dashboard where the really big fuses are (like the 75-amp ones), and tap into the power cables that feed those circuits. Make sure to add your own fuses to any offshoots.

3. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Drill a hole in the firewall and grommet like a man.

/thread.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:eek4:

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

this post is so wrong, that i should delete it.:rofl:

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

is that how to do it?

I'll go get the drill ready!

7. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Are you serious? If so I'll help you, if not than fuck you.

Remember to look 3 times, drill once.

8. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Actually, there is everything ghetto about that setup (unless he is running it through the fender and entering through a grommet in the door...that is only slightly ghetto, but at least relatively safe.

Tapping into the high current wires off the fuse box is dumb and will overload that circuit in time...and if you do it before the fuse you run the risk of electrical fire from overload. So that is a horrible idea.

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah. I'm not tapping into any other fuses for the car. I setup my own fuse for an amp. I don't feel like screwing something else up on the car. That being said, I am only looking for a spot to run the wire straight from the battery.

I normally do it around the fender and into the inner door jam area (hope that makes sense). I was wondering what the best method is to do it correctly, aka going through the firewall (drill a hole or go through a previously made hole.

10. tjamz

tjamz New Member

If you have an open grommet from the factory, use that. If not, drill a new hole, put a grommet in (to reduce likelihood of sharp edges damaging the wire) and feed the wire through that hole.

11. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Fires are always fun.

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lol...tonality is too tough online. I am serious. I alway figured that you had to drill but never knew where to do it.

lol take it easy :)

13. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

This is OT I am serious cat. this is serious thread.

When needing to go through the firewall, you first look for grommets, factory grommets are the easiest way to go through it, especially if they are empty. It is where the factory wires, cables other stuff goes through. Some are big and dont have a lot of wires going through them, slit a hole and go through that. Some are empty, if thats the case slit a hole and go through them.

If there is no grommets available, look for landmarks. Landmarks are items that go through on each side, ie wires, bolts, cables, indents. When you find a good spot, that you know is clear under the hood, check 3 times to make sure it is. If you dont, you can seriously damage your car and it wont be cheap. When happy, drill a small hole with a heavy duty drill bit. Standard bits wont do.

What I like to do is drill the small hole and take a long zip tie(spraypainted in construction orange or any other bright color) and feel around and spot it under the hood just to know im at the right spot. If all is good, step up the hole size to the diameter of the cable.

Feed a grommet on the cable and pull enough as you need to get to the battery, then there. Put some caulk on the wire at the grommet to hold all in place and waterproof.

I install about 4 amps a day at my one job and have never had a damage claim in my 6 years.

14. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

great answer. thanks a bunch!