2003 BMW 330xi detail from hell

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Labster, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Many of you may not think this was bad but let me assure you that it sucked worse than probably 90% of the details I've done. Concrete on paint is a real PITA to remove!

The backstory: The owner of this car is one my best customers. When you think of a true car guy, this guy comes to mind. His collection includes 3 Ford GTs, one in the Heritage Gulf scheme and a matching Saleen Mustang. His stable also includes a Challenge Stradale, 360 Modena, Gallardo, and his latest is a Lambo Superleggera that he is trading in the Gallardo for. Those cars are just the tip of the sphere however. He just recently found a GT3 RS that he's flying down to Pensacola to negotiate on as well as well as a Bentley Flying Spur and a Rolls Royce Phantom. To say he's a car officianado would be grouse understatement. The great thing is that he tracks many of his cars as well and is into motorcycle racing. Great guy to sit around and have a post detail drink with and talk cars. Anyway, on to the detail and what was wrong with it.

The 330xi is his wife's DD and as such, is probably one of only 3 cars in his stable of roughly 25 that has stayed around since I started caring for his cars 5 years ago. The city was doing road work in their development and as with many cities they did a half assed job. Dried concrete was all over the place and then rain hit. He called last thursday asking when I had an open slot and I said monday morning so the appointment was made. He warned me from the beginning that it was caked in concrete on the fenders as well as a kind of greyish haze all over the rest of the car as well.

After doing a little research and talking with Todd from Esoteric Detail (thanks again Todd!) I formulated a plan to use distilled vinegar in a chemical sprayer to help break the chemical bonds. After 4 hours of washing, yes 4 hours of washing, two completely trashed claybars, 1.5 gallons of Vinegar, and 6 ounces of Megs APC I was finally able to polish. Being that it is a DD, the owner stressed that cleaning up the surface was his chief concern and that being said I went to work with my Flex rotary and a LC white polishing pad and Optimum Polish II. It brightened up the paint a lot and it was then sealed with Poorboys Nattys Red which made the paint pop quite a bit.

Tools Used:
    Chemical sprayer from Lowes
    1.5 gallons of Distilled White Vinegar
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash via foam gun mixed with Megs APC
    Megs APC
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash again
    Plastic Razor Blades
    Megs Clay
    Optimum QD (Thanks for the advice Todd!)
    Gilmour Foam Gun
    Optimum Metal Polish on rim and exhaust
    P21s Wheel Gel on wheels
    Megs APC on tires and wells
    Various brushes
    Lowes GS to wash
    Optimum Polish II
    LC 5.5 inch pads
    3m Perfect It backing plate
    Flex Rotary
    Poorboys Trim Restorer on all trim
    Poorboys Nattys Red as LSP

Now on to the pics!
    Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Excellent turnaround! :)

Just FYI, Top of the Line has a concrete remover, believe it or not, it is sugar based. Not sure if it works any better than what you did though.

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I read about that actually. I might buy some and see how it works if I encounter another car like this. Thanks Scott!

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

WOW! The final product looks awesome. Great work! :cool: :bowdown:

I've never encountered a car with concrete on it, but now I know how to work with it. :bigthumb:

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Wow that must have been a ton of work. Great turn around. I've always wondered about concrete removal.

6. Lokman

Lokman New Member

man that is a great job.